Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:08 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
StatisticMan wrote:
To be fair, some of the characters of Charles M. Schulz were aging as well. For example Sally who started 1959 as a newborn reached the age of a schoolkid in 1974 when her aging process came to a halt.

(...)

The most striking case is actually Schroeder, who literally start as a baby in onesie, quickly turn into a gifted infant and seen reach the same age as the rest of the cast.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:29 pm 
Kira, you are making it hard for me to defend you.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:27 pm 
There are actually certain events that mayhave caused them to age slightly less. In particular, it's not clear they actually spent as much time in the Anima dimension as advanced in their world. They just had to settle on a time as close to when they left as they could. But that's a pretty minimal example. You'd need lots more to get them back to their 20s or early 30s.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:20 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Sliding timeline, that' it, like in comics books for Batman, or the Simpsons. Tyler is like Tahiti Bob getting married and getting a kid who grew old enough to be a toddler while Maggie Simpsons remained a baby.

Tyler got a few grey hair, but I bet he is only 30-something because of sliding timeline too.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:16 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
Sliding timeline, that' it, like in comics books for Batman, or the Simpsons. Tyler is like Tahiti Bob getting married and getting a kid who grew old enough to be a toddler while Maggie Simpsons remained a baby.

Tyler got a few grey hair, but I bet he is only 30-something because of sliding timeline too.

Still Tyler remains the proof, that aging in the Sluggyverse despite sliding timeline still is a thing. Perharps he aged less than 19 years during the time period of 19 years (still you can't rule it out) and so the question remains why the main cast didn't age at all.

Even the Simpsons are providing in-universe explanations for the lack of aging of the Simpsons kids: This fact is lampshaded in the episode "Behind the Laughter" where it is revealed that Homer is spiking at least Lisas cereal with anti-growth hormones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_the_Laughter

Perharps Pete will reveal something like that in future story arcs.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:50 am 
Trying to follow these logics about age is like trying to smell the number nine. You'll never come to anything satisfactory, because the premise is wrong.

They're ageless 20-somethings (Pete confirmed), so no other arguments really matter unless you accept that fact as immutable first. It's a sliding timeline, with various points in time carved in stone. Don't break your brain by trying to fill in the gaps with real numbers. You can't.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:04 am 
Did Pete actually confirm this. Because the last time I remember him broaching the subject, he seemed a little foggy on the details and indeterminate in his conclusions himself.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:
Did Pete actually confirm this. Because the last time I remember him broaching the subject, he seemed a little foggy on the details and indeterminate in his conclusions himself.

Currently posted in the news on the main page, but I know he's said similar at some time in the past:

"Time works weird in the Sluggyverse. To be honest it feels like Torg and Riff were kids-to-teens in the 80's, college-age in the 90's and pretty much have stayed 20-something forever after that (with Zoƫ being slightly younger and Gwynn will never admit her age anywho). Normally this isn't a problem, but since I established Riff being a kid of the 80's, and also showed him around that age when he spoke of his fathers return after Tombsy's accident, Wilcott's discovery of the books should have been in, maybe 1983, not 1972. I was thrown off by my internal concept of Wilcott being the adventuring archeologist of the 70's. The downside here is there are 70's elements in the art, but since I defined Riffs age to a decade, the easiest solution is just to change the panels in the comic for November 22. "793 Years Later" becomes "804 Years Later", and "Sinkhole Excavation in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius. 1972" becomes "Sinkhole Excavation in the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius. 1983". I picked 1983 because that's the year the A-Team started and I pity the fool who didn't have Mr. T on their Trapper Keeper. This slight change shouldn't effect anything else, and I apologize for missing it. 'Immortal King' is requiring a lot of plot-ball juggling! But clearly I'm a writer who loves to juggle. Time to break out the chainsaws!" - Pete

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:32 pm 
I figure that Torg and Riff were 25 when the strip started in 1987, Zoe was 20, Gwynn maybe 21-22, which pretty much matches what Pete has said. At that point the sliding scale of comic strip time kicked in.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions