Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:11 am 
All good mate.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:52 am 
That's kind of weird though. How did Allie get the box? It wasn't delivered to Quint along with the scroll was it? Then she must have acquired it on her cult-slaying adventures?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:35 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
That's kind of weird though. How did Allie get the box? It wasn't delivered to Quint along with the scroll was it? Then she must have acquired it on her cult-slaying adventures?

Servra brought the box along with the scroll.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-02-03

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:03 pm 
In that same comic you cited, Quint asks, "Could the followers of Rana the Sun Twin have been carting these artifacts around the world for a thousand years? Waiting for me?"

Rana led Symachus / Yffi away from Mokhadun after Kron blinded him. (n.b.: The past tense of "blind" would be much more entertaining as "blound", in keeping with "wind / wound" and "find / found".) At the time, the bug would've entrusted the box to Symachus, to facilitate the time-loop that put future-K'z'k back in Mokhadun... It seems clear Rana bailed on leading Symachus around pretty early, though -- she doesn't even seem to have been there to intervene when Macha's mom tried to release K'z'k. I would've thought Symachus would've been the one to try to steer the box into the possession of the correct bloodline, but maybe he somehow got Rana to believe that doing so would help protect the world, and he was trying to make up for his crimes?

Edit: Oooooh, right, I'd forgotten this. Kozoaku planted the box with Maloufo via posessing a friend of Maloufo's wife Wyntiti. And then later Maloufo was given the prison scroll by Dunuloa, so he has both by the time of the comics with him and Macha.

In any case, I would expect in the near future, a drop of Wilden's blood is going to unlock the box, so he'll discover the blood compass and the scroll of predictions. Then he'll set about translating the scroll, discover that it's accurate, and get steered onto the path we've seen.

Last edited by rmharman on Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:12 pm 
Unrelatedly, I've just realized that the B glyph, which was on the cover of Siphy-the-younger's book (the one with one heart on the spine), also appears on Lord Sluggy's cape.

Although if you look at the set of glyphs that are on the temple (which appears in stylized form here) I guess Sluggy's personal glyph is more like an image of his face. And it seems like at least Tempest's swirl glyph does represent fate (and is used as such in some spells)... So most likely the Bunbun glyph would be power, and the B is something else?

Also, do we know what the S-with-wings glyph on top of the temple means? It looks an awful lot like the Trevors. (Or maybe Kiki with her strap-on wings, but more like the Trevors, I think.)

The image on the cover of Edda's two-heart book was her (family? personal?) crest, with the cypress and antlers. (Scroll up one to see a more detailed rendering. She also had a pendant of this, which was remarked on when she first talked with Yffi.)

I don't think we've yet seen the cover of the three-heart book.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:38 pm 
Thinking about more books: We know the history of the book of E-Ville and the book of Uhgli (sp?) in pretty close detail... I'm not sure we know exactly how the books of Güd or Bhad were assembled. I'm wondering if Güd actually involves some contribution from the Krig? Possibly even in collaboration with Sluggy? A book that shows visions of joy to those pure of heart seems right up Krig's alley, and the fact that it literally melted K'z'k when he tried to look at it seems like a manifestation of God-of-Power level power.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 pm 
I don't think he needs to translate the predictions in the box. Didn't Gwynn say they were written in English?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:47 pm 
rmharman wrote:
Thinking about more books: We know the history of the book of E-Ville and the book of Uhgli (sp?) in pretty close detail... I'm not sure we know exactly how the books of Güd or Bhad were assembled. I'm wondering if Güd actually involves some contribution from the Krig? Possibly even in collaboration with Sluggy? A book that shows visions of joy to those pure of heart seems right up Krig's alley, and the fact that it literally melted K'z'k when he tried to look at it seems like a manifestation of God-of-Power level power.

What about this?
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2021-02-08
I don't think I really understood it at the time. Just saw it again recently.
So, it looks like Rana created the imagery, and Quint put it in Book form...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 am 
superhunnybear wrote:
What about this?

Oh, I'd completely forgotten that one... OK, so yeah, the book of Güd is "beauty as witnessed through the eyes of the Sun-Twin, in images, not words." (Though I suppose it's possible that Quint later managed to get ahold of contributions from the other remaining gods.) And of course the Book of Uhglee is a repository for possibly many scrollified demons. (One wonders whether there might be some magical way to destroy them. Chaz ruled out stabbing the book with him -- he had a line asking whether if you stab a house, it kills the people in the house. It seems like most likely if you just non-magically burned the scroll a demon was in, the demon would be released as a free floating spirit, able to possess somebody.) This leaves us still not having a clear idea of what the book of Bhad is, or can be used for.

Re: the scroll of predictions, oh yeah, that thing about it being written in English (a language that didn't exist yet at the time of Mohkadun, hence why it's the Scroll of Non-Reading, which you totally can't read!) definitely rings a bell... Anyone have the citation for that?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:20 am 
Huh, returning to that B glyph, it shows up in the binding spell.

• Spiral -- fate magic.
  • a series of lines and a point, which seems to get used (depending on orientation) as an indicator of in/out; it shows up in the "forced possession" spell, the "eject demon from person" spell, and the "put person into / take person out of a scroll" spells.
  • the B sign
  • the hand with bird symbol (which comes in both capture and release variants)

Interestingly it kind of looks like the release version in that comic, but (a) it's possible that the variants are only clear when the signs are drawn out in blockier hieroglyphics, and (b) it's also possible this is just a goof. (It also seems like Pete couldn't decide whether the name of the friend who delivered Rana's images was Sevra or Servra. Though maybe that's a Latin versus Etruscan pronunciation thing.)

Aha, interestingly, the B glyph does appear in the "put a demon directly into a page" spell, but not in the "evict a demon from a person" spell (which is in the comic directly after the linked one). That suggests that the B may actually refer to paper / scrolls / books.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:45 am 
I'm trying to find where Soco was introduced, to see if the B shows up anywhere relating to his role as a scholar or scribe... I did find another image where the full set of the five god glyphs shows up, with the S-with-wings above Kron's time / gods-over-men glyph.

Hm, OK, I think this is Soco's first appearance... His collar has a picture of a scroll on it. Not finding the B anywhere. I still think it basically means "page", though.

Oh hey, this appears to indicate that the S-with-wings represents "the spark", Prozoato's creation. Still seems interesting that it resembles the Trevors so much, given that the Trevors started out as Torg's anima.

OK, that leads to some wild spec: Is Torg the incarnation of Prozoato? Like, in the same way Prozoato and Kron bound Kozoaku into the web, putting him into the world as a demon, maybe Prozoato decided that to finally beat ol' poopy-pants, he had to enter the ring... but then somehow in the process he just came through as some guy, without any memory of his history. It'd explain why Torg constantly has protagonist's luck... He's unwittingly the most powerful source of fate magic in the universe. :-|

Reading on down, the first instance I found of the B glyph is on Sluggy's cape, when he comes to chat with Dunuloa and Siphy/Gwynn.

Hmmm. When we finally get to the actual "bind into a scroll" spell, the symbol for scroll actually does look like the one on Soco's collar. So I guess that puts me back to just not being sure what the B means.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:11 pm 
With Mr. Y probably being the god of Justice, wasn't all of his kids supposed to be blind by curse of Father time? Does anybody know why Riff and his father are not blind?

Edit: Did some quick searches of the forum, it seems like the current hypothesis is that his sunglasses are special which allows him to see.

Counter: we see Wilcott without his sunglasses in the release, and I did not notice him having any obvious blind issues.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:37 pm 
rmharman wrote:
Reading on down, the first instance I found of the B glyph is on Sluggy's cape, when he comes to chat with Dunuloa and Siphy/Gwynn.

Hmmm. When we finally get to the actual "bind into a scroll" spell, the symbol for scroll actually does look like the one on Soco's collar. So I guess that puts me back to just not being sure what the B means.

How fast a year flies... I was thinking that I JUST mentioned this topic, but apparently it was about a year ago: viewtopic.php?p=601221#p601221

The observation sucked me into an archive dive and the symbol's first appearance was definitively on Sluggy. I suspected that it belongs to Dunuloa - and still do. The next time that we see it is on Quint - a Dunuloa follower.

That said, if you look down the page from my post, Lord Golbez notes that Sluggy is seen wearing it again, when he was not in Dunuloa's lab. Could be that he just took it from her (that would be classic Bun-Bun), or....

Lord Golbez also notes that the symbol may instead be two pyramids side by side (humans with the gods) rather than a "B".

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:37 pm 
swmartian wrote:
How fast a year flies... I was thinking that I JUST mentioned this topic, but apparently it was about a year ago: viewtopic.php?p=601221#p601221

The observation sucked me into an archive dive and the symbol's first appearance was definitively on Sluggy. I suspected that it belongs to Dunuloa - and still do. The next time that we see it is on Quint - a Dunuloa follower.

That said, if you look down the page from my post, Lord Golbez notes that Sluggy is seen wearing it again, when he was not in Dunuloa's lab. Could be that he just took it from her (that would be classic Bun-Bun), or....

Lord Golbez also notes that the symbol may instead be two pyramids side by side (humans with the gods) rather than a "B".

Interesting, I like the side-by-side idea -- Farahn was a follower of Sluggy, before we threw in with Symachus, and I could see Sluggy advocating for an "equal opportunity ass-kicking" kind of thing. Hopefully we'll get something that clarifies this eventually. The fact that the symbol shows up in the binding / unbinding spell seems maybe important? Maybe it actually means something like "bond"? Sluggy would like it because it has to do with the strength to hold onto something?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:43 pm 
rmharman wrote:
superhunnybear wrote:
What about this?

Oh, I'd completely forgotten that one... OK, so yeah, the book of Güd is "beauty as witnessed through the eyes of the Sun-Twin, in images, not words." (Though I suppose it's possible that Quint later managed to get ahold of contributions from the other remaining gods.) And of course the Book of Uhglee is a repository for possibly many scrollified demons. (One wonders whether there might be some magical way to destroy them. Chaz ruled out stabbing the book with him -- he had a line asking whether if you stab a house, it kills the people in the house. It seems like most likely if you just non-magically burned the scroll a demon was in, the demon would be released as a free floating spirit, able to possess somebody.) This leaves us still not having a clear idea of what the book of Bhad is, or can be used for.

Re: the scroll of predictions, oh yeah, that thing about it being written in English (a language that didn't exist yet at the time of Mohkadun, hence why it's the Scroll of Non-Reading, which you totally can't read!) definitely rings a bell... Anyone have the citation for that?

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2013-12-04
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-05-23
And especially this one:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-07-07

(Courtesy of a Niftysearch - pretty good strip locator tool, but I too often forget to take advantage of it. In this case, searching for 'Gwynn' and 'scroll' came up with a few hits, including these 3 specifically.)

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat