Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:53 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
tube_rat wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:
yffi being Symachus, working on an attemptto redempt himself would explain his poor physycal state and lack of eyes:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-05-08
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-05-09

I don't think his way he address Queen Siphaniana rules that out, especially as I expect it to be a Typo and PEte meant to say "HIS Queen Siphaniana", something Symachus would have no reason to not say.

my initial thought was symachus as well. most of the pieces fit somewhat but what throws me off is that symachus was last seen trying to summon k'z'k. not oppossing him as we see in today's strip.

Symachus might have got many years to ponder on his actions.

AND
VcSaJen wrote:
Yffi is Riff's ancestor?

Perhaps it is a reformed Symachus, or perhaps it is Symachus' son, or grandson?
We know that the sight curse started with blindness, but by Riff's time, it is just sensitivity to light. So couldn't someone just one or two generations removed still be quite blind? (However, the corpse-like appearance would seem to be specific to a slow-aging Symachus, unless that trait is also passed on thru generations, and Riff could stay looking young for a very long time. And by long time, I mean in the comic's timeline, for obvious reasons...)

Last edited by superhunnybear on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:22 pm 
still doesn't really fit symachus' m.o. remember the first time he released k'z'k was because of his ambition to become a god. then the second time was to control the next spark. essentially, his ambition is great and he is a schemer. i think he'd be more likely to reflect on his fate to seek revenge.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 pm 
My initial thought on seeing the lich-y reveal was like swmartian: that this was Allie. After all, male/female gets hard to distinguish among dessicated corpses, living or otherwise. Plus it would be more immediately relevant to the story threads within these flashbacks.

All assuming, of course, that Allie ever figured out immortality.

I suppose Symachus fits too. He was cursed to roam the earth forever, after all, and corpseface is blind(ish). But I have trouble believing Symachus would let his skin care routine lapse this badly...

HOWEVER - there'd be a delicious irony in Riff, vampire hater, being from the lineage of the first vampire, and that vampires were created intentionally to fight the evil of KZK, who his father is trying to summon

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:58 pm 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

i don't think it's allie. supposedly, she died of plague, although we know quint did not. so this is a little suspicious (or just pete's way of moving the story). plus would ozzid say the blood line has ended if allie were alive (ish)?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:54 pm 
I also don't think it's Allie, as I stated above, but I would be massively surprised if Pete left that "find a way to live forever" breadcrumb on the table for nothing.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 am 
tube_rat wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:

i don't think it's allie. supposedly, she died of plague, although we know quint did not. so this is a little suspicious (or just pete's way of moving the story). plus would ozzid say the blood line has ended if allie were alive (ish)?

This is why I assume Allie is undead. Like Yodimus I don't think Pete would have left us with the "live forever" line and then proceed to not show her death for no reason. It seems likely to me that undeath woud be sufficient to deem the bloodline ended.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:03 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
superhunnybear wrote:
(...) So couldn't someone just one or two generations removed still be quite blind?

We know his son was blind.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-06-24

tube_rat wrote:
still doesn't really fit symachus' m.o. remember the first time he released k'z'k was because of his ambition to become a god. then the second time was to control the next spark. essentially, his ambition is great and he is a schemer. i think he'd be more likely to reflect on his fate to seek revenge.

the third time was to restore vision to his son. Indicating a start of acting less selfish and showing care for someone else, even if still misguided.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:53 am 
Would be neat if it was chronos (Kronos?). But the only evidence I have for that is a pun. He has a lot of time. :pun:

Similar overbearing personality though.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
superhunnybear wrote:
(...) So couldn't someone just one or two generations removed still be quite blind?

We know his son was blind.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-06-24

tube_rat wrote:

the third time was to restore vision to his son. Indicating a start of acting less selfish and showing care for someone else, even if still misguided.

We don't know that was his reasoning or if that was just the line he fed to get her to summon kzk. He used farahn's jealousy the second time.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:47 am 
At any rate, while Symachus may have grown beyond just summoning K'Z'K to get what he wants, I'm not at all convinced that Yffi (regardless of whether he's Symachus) is good. His work with the Book of Bhad seems shady and his aim for 'ultimate victory" sounds self-serving and ominous.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:23 am 
Well luckily the latest page, while wrapping up this flashback, gave us no answers to this question! Classic sluggy.

It's interesting that there were so many time skips in this one. Makes me wonder if we'll get another perspective switch later to see it from the bug's side, like we did with the Liber family

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm 
I have to wonder if Yffi is actually Riff, after gaining greater mastery of magic and using time travel to go back into the past... the way he reacted when he saw Chaz, for example. Probably not, since he doesn't seem to have any (exploding) tech on hand... but interesting to consider.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:44 pm 
darchon wrote:
I have to wonder if Yffi is actually Riff, after gaining greater mastery of magic and using time travel to go back into the past... the way he reacted when he saw Chaz, for example. Probably not, since he doesn't seem to have any (exploding) tech on hand... but interesting to consider.

There is the similarity in the naming...

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:42 pm 
superhunnybear wrote:
darchon wrote:

There is the similarity in the naming...

And K'z'k, when possessing Gwynn, was calling him "Riffyyyy"
One such occurence: https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=10#1999-02-01

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:46 pm 
However, I would like to put forward another spec and see if it pans out.

Is Yffi (one of) the Fate Spider(s) taking drastic measures and directly intervening into events instead of tweaking them through the Web?

I would submit as possible proof towards that spec the (it's passing, I know) resemblance of Yffi's eyes to "segmented" spider eyes and the presence of spiders throughout this mini-storyline.

There's another variation of this that I could see working. Given how Yffi's "eyes" seem to be some sort of biomechanical contraption, and given how you can clearly see the position of sunken former eyes, how about this is the corpse or what's left of Symmachus possessed by the Fate Spiders?

When we saw Yffi looking at Edda and Chaz through the web, what was really happening is him realising that she was fated to be killed by him, and then proceeding to fulfill that destiny through establishing a "detour" in her fate, by manipulating her into falling into Fahran's trap. If I am right and this is the Fate Spider's doing, then they could also manipulate and nudge events so that she emerges from the book when she does to Gwynn. Perhaps if they hadn't done that, the demon that Riff unleashed by mistake from the Book of Bhad possesses Zoe or someone else and everything is doomed.

EDIT:
Now that I'm rereading however, I am reminded of the Bug's three eyes, though their configuration is upside down.
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=73#2021-04-29
What does it all meeeeeeean? (MOOOOOOOOOAN)

On a side note, isn't it strange that we never see Allie's mom and that she is so conspicuously mentioned but not shown?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat