Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Yeah. Being good at computers and languages seems like it might be rather niche in a world where the most prominent language is already translated and there aren't many computers to be had.

If I might make a suggestion, you could spend a stunt to acquire a piece of gear that gives you more options for interacting with the world? I spent a fate point a while ago to put a bunch of satellites in orbit. Maybe you could get some gear that lets you hack the network and cobble together your own personal eyes in the sky? Or maybe some kind of permanent sky drone sidekick that you can use your computer skill to interact with the world? Could be fun.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:42 am 
Oh, there are definitely ways in which being good with computers can be leveraged to help things out here. None of the people from this world really understand computers - aside from the fact that someone's clearly been involved in telling the thing to land and waking up the first few terrans - so anyone from this world won't think in terms of information-theoretical solutions. To anything.

...I don't think it's really my place to point those options out specifically, but - well, there should be options, if looked for.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:18 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Just in passing, we were planning to drop in on Vanire en route to Fangorn Forest. If nothing else, he's probably wondering just how we found the Blue Rose many hundreds of miles from where the king could possibly have been.

Oh, and roughly what is the range of this submarine? And how miserable a job is creating more sealant?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:33 am 
Whoops. Skipped over a little too much then. We'll back off just a smidge...

The range of the submarine is rather bigger than the size of the lake; so the range limits in this case will be geographical, not technological. Sealant will take time to make; though it probably can be made in the field, from raw materials harvested, at the cost of some time (a couple of days) sitting around in one place doing chemistry, it'll doubtless be quicker and easier to do so at the Ship. There's no immediately obvious reason why you'd need more than one dose of the sealant, which is the main reason why David, who is trying to optimise for food production above all else, is only providing the one dose.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Sorry for the brief response. Gonna be busy today and didn't want to delay the game so I just threw something out real quick.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:23 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
How deep into the Fangorn Forest is this fire, anyway? Near enough to the edges that the local peasants would be keeping it clean gathering fuel, or too far in for someone on foot to be doing that from the edges?

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:03 am 
Fairly deep. It might take a full day's walk from the edges of the forest (if you ignore the paths, so fairly heavy terrain with a chance of manticores) - the locals won't be clearing it out, at least partially due to the 'chance of manticores' part. It's also not close to the paths - maybe a good half hour's walk from the road.

It's maybe one of the better places to stay completely out of everyone's way without actually leaving the Forest.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ok, just one more clarification type question. Is this an old growth type forest, with lots of absurdly tall trees and fairly open space between them because there isn't enough light for much by way of underbrush growth reaching the ground?

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:55 am 
weremensh wrote:
Ok, just one more clarification type question. Is this an old growth type forest, with lots of absurdly tall trees and fairly open space between them because there isn't enough light for much by way of underbrush growth reaching the ground?

Mostly, yes. In this particular location, though, you're a few hundred metres away from where it looks like one of the big trees came down a few years back, leaving a gap in the canopy for the light to come in; so there's a lot more undergrowth right around here than the average.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'll leave it up to you guys whether you get it or not, but for transparency's sake Felix is pretty sure Zalasbra has a better grasp on the english language than he'd been letting on (I think Arkady picked up on that, actually) and is currently lying through his teeth trying to misdirect Zalasbra away from the fact that Felix is suspicious of him.

I don't think he'll be doing a very good job, but hopefully Theresa can prove a vital distraction on the Deceit roll.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Oh, hey. What languages does Roger speak?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:41 am 
Just about any of Earth's languages. So far, apart from Elene, he's been able to use his experience to make sense of Rendor; but not Styric.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:37 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Because most Styrics we've encountered speak Elene. If they speak Styric in front of him he could pick it up.

Cantonese
Mandarin
English
Russian

are his best. But probably base level conversational in quite a lot that I haven't put too much thought into.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:07 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Roger knowing Styric would be quite helpful.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:37 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Any way I could make a rapport roll to try and distract Zalasbra so Arkady can better pick up what's on his mind?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG