Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Why not go right to the likely source of the problem: Piper's (and the younger gods') opposition to Azash. It's not like handing her a fate point could ever bite Arkady in the butt, right?

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:43 pm 
Doubtless there is no way in which handing Piper a spare Fate point could ever cause Arkady trouble. Unfortunately, handing her a spare Fate point with reference to that particular Aspect also will not clear up the radio interference... you'll just have to keep your Fate point, instead.

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Meanwhile, Felix continues with the conversation.

"Preceptor Vanire? This is Felix. We've run into a situation and request your input."

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:13 pm 
"A̶h̴. I a̸m n̶o̵t V̵a̶n̶i̶r̴e̴. I̶ a̸m̴ S̸i̷r S̴a̷r̸l̶e̵. I̴ c̷a̵n̵ g̴e̶t̴ V̵a̶n̸i̸re̴ i̵f t̵h̵a̶t w̴o̸u̷l̵d h̶e̵l̸p̶... h̵e̷'̸s̸,̵ u̶h̷, j̷u̶s̵t o̵u̴t̸ i̶n̶ t̶h̷e ̴t̵r̴a̶i̵n̷i̷n̸g̸ a̸r̴e̴a w̶i̶t̶h̴ s̶o̶m̶e o̶f̶ t̷h̶e ̵n̵e̷w̵e̷r r̷e̶c̷r̶u̷i̶t̵s..."

Post Posted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:15 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Please do, Sir Sarle. Thank you."

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:53 am 
"I'̶l̷l ̷b̷e ri̴g̵h̷t̴ b̶a̵c̶k̴."

While Sir Sarle is busy, Bergstor is having Sir Ulath get all his stuff out of the truck, ready to leave. Clearly, he is not a Patriarch who waits around when he has the opportunity to move.

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:01 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady turns to Sir Ulath: "One second. Sir Ulath, are you familiar with trolls? And knowing what you know of your mission, are we likely to need to deal with a particularly intelligent troll in order to succeed?"

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 am 
"Yeah, I'm familiar," says Ulath. "Speak their language. Huh." He pauses for a long moment, in thought. "Might have to deal with one. Would end up in a fight. Can't take a troll one-on-one. Not even a crippled troll. Need half a dozen knights to try that fight. Minimum."

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:50 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
He turns back to Bergstor. "So before we look at the question of just how urgent our mission is in the eyes of the Church; given that none of of the adults in this party are natives to this land, and none at all are familiar with trolls, would you consider it established that we need Sir Ulath in particular to continue with his previous assignment of working with us?"

Tag 'priest' at need (and he suspects it may well be). And hopefully this won't become a two stage, full bore social combat...

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix continues to wait for Vanire.

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:12 am 
Bergstor's eyes narrow.

Social combat begins!

In this particular social combat, you may bow out (leaving Sir Ulath to join Bergstor's army) at any point.

Arkady: Leadership: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +4 Total: +8
Bergstor: OOOOO OO

While you could spend a FATE point for a +2 here, it... honestly isn't going to help. Not with the way Bergstor rolled. Save the FATE point for another round.

"Experts in Trollish are a dime a dozen in Thalesia," says Bergstor. "You can find people who can speak Trollish almost anywhere in there. And with the speed of those vehicles, it won't take you long to get there. Ulath's strong right arm, on the other hand, will be needed with me."

Bergstor: Leadership: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3
Arkady: XOOOO OO
Felix: Resolve: +1 Roll: +1 Total: +2
Felix: OXOOO O

From the sounds coming through the radio, it sounds like it'll get to Vanire in mere minutes.

...this world is not used to instantaneous communication.

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady does not look impressed. "You seem to have missed the important part of what Sir Ulath said: we would not be talking with this troll. We would be fighting him. And while we can fight, we do not know the tactics best being used against them. Sir Ulath does. It is his tactical skill and his arm we need; and people who can replace those do not grow on every bush in Thalesia to be sold by the dozen."

Tag priest, and at need defensive pacifist.

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:08 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"Your Grace, Sir Ulath is absolutely essential to our mission. His being a church knight reassures people that we are trustworthy people. And gives us access to certain privileges like having the [The Count, I forget his name] house us. We NEED him. My colleague is attempting to get in contact with Preceptor Vanire, and he will explain that we need Sir Ulath."

Roger will go ahead and use a fate point to ensure that when Bergstor and Vanire talk they will be able to establish that they are who they say they are.

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:16 pm 
Arkady: Leadership: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +3 Total: +7

...wow, Bergstor's defense rolls are near-unbeatable here! Even both Aspects together wouldn't be enough...

"You'd need a dozen fighters," says Bergstor. "Minimum. Not including the archers. Pepper the troll with crossbow bolts before he gets close, then when he closes the distance, the ground troops try to hold him down. Trolls get confused by too many opponents, and I certainly don't see the necessary squad here."

Roger tries a brief appeal to authority:

Roger: Rapport: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +6
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5
Bergstor: XOOOO OO

For the first time, Bergstor's face shows the slightest flicker of uncertainty, and he gives Roger a searching look.

Bergstor: Cold Read: Empathy: +3 Roll: +2 Total: +5
Roger: Resolve: +2 Roll: +1 Total: +3
Bergstor identifies one of Roger's Aspects!

Whatever Bergstor sees in Roger's face, it looks like he doesn't much like what he sees.

"You'd need to pick up a dozen or so fighters to face a troll in any case," he opines. "You can easily pick up one more then - but Ulath is here right now."

Roger: Resolve (Round 1): +2 Roll: -1 Total: 1
Roger: OOXOO O

(This round:)
Bergstor: Leadership: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Arkady: XOOOO OO
Felix: Resolve: +1 Roll: -2 Total: -1
OXXOO O
Roger: Resolve: +2 Roll: -1 Total: 1
Roger: XOXOO O

...and at this point, the radio crackles. "H̷e̷l̴l̷o̷? V̴a̷n̴i̵r̸e h̶e̵r̶e. W̵h̸o̴'s t̸h̷i̸s?"

"Vanire?" asks Bergstor. "It's me, Bergstor."

"B̵e̷r̴g̴s̵t̵o̵r̴?"

"If you really are Vanire," says Bergstor, "then you'll remember when we were training together, and the name of that waitress, you'd know the one..."

There's a snort from the radio. "I̴'̷m a r̴e̴s̴p̶e̵c̸t̸a̴b̷l̴e P̷r̶e̶c̴e̵p̴t̵o̶r n̷o̵w, B̸e̴r̶g̶s̶t̴o̵r. Y̷o̴u c̵a̸n̵'̸t g̶o ̷a̷b̷o̵u̶t ̷b̶r̵i̷n̶g̷i̷n̴g ̷u̶p y̷o̸u̴t̷h̵f̵u̷l... m̸i̵s̸t̴a̶k̵e̵s̵."

"And I'm a respectable Patriarch, and I can bring up anything I like."

Another snort from the radio, though apparently a good-humoured one. "H̵e̸r ̸n̷a̷m̴e w̷a̶s ̵N̶a̵e̸d, ̷a̸n̴d a̶s̸ I̸ r̴e̴c̶a̴l̸l, ̴i̸t ̸w̶a̸s y̴o̶u̴r̸ i̴n̷d̸i̷s̶c̴r̵e̵t̸i̷o̵n, ̵n̶o̸t m̵i̶n̴e̷."

...Bergstor's face suggests that he is satisfied with this proof of Vanire's identity.

Last edited by CCC on Fri May 21, 2021 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 7:11 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
OOG: Uh, CCC? Roger's resolve is 2, not 0.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG