Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:58 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
The tables have now turned the most recent episode of Farahn and The Bug!

Find out the next stunning revelation on April the Twenty Ninth wherever internet is available.

----
Please vote for Farahn and The Bug at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:49 am 
I don't understand what the bug means. Look at the bright side of losing true love. This proves someone will free us eventually. How so, o wisest of bugs?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:15 am 
Yeah that doesn't make sense to me either.

I see why Farahn wears his diamond-face mask in our present. A couple of millennia stuck with the Bug have not been good for his complexion.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:36 am 
It's awkwardly worded, but I think it's along the lines of "the fact that another person has tried to free us (despite it ending in failure and your true love's death) means that people will keep trying, so we just have to be patient until one of them succeeds."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 am 
As entertaining as this perspective is, it hasn’t really offered anything we didn’t already know. Which is fine for a week or two, but at this comic pace I’d like to get on with it.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:16 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Quite the time skip, there. I was hoping for having a glimpse of what it was like when Ashan was keeping the scroll.

but could this actually help us finally place a date on the events of Mokhadun, there? This comic seems to imply they didn't get to seduce a single soul during those 3500 years. So, if the Liberliganus arc take place soon after the current comic (and I am hoping to see the Bug's and Farhan's side of things for those events), which was 500 BC, this would mean Mokhadun ended around 4000 BC. Did we ever get an actual date position for Mokhadun before? I don't remember.

A quick wikipedia search tell me that the Early Dynastic Period of Egypt start around 3100 BC, indicating that the Mokhadun people reached prehistoric Egypt 900 years before the people of the Nile started having some kind of royal lineage. I guess it works.

I am not sure what K'Z'K's comment "Zero For Three" in the last panel is about, though.

Last edited by GUIGUI on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:25 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
I am not sure what K'Z'K's comment "Zero For Three" in the last panel is about, though.

It took me a re-read to realise, but it's 1) have patience, 2) hold yourself together, and 3) shut up.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:01 am 
Yahoo Messenger: poisonivyy_ae
GUIGUI wrote:
Quite the time skip, there. I was hoping for having a glimpse of what it was like when Ashan was keeping the scroll.

but could this actually help us finally place a date on the events of Mokhadun, there? This comic seems to imply they didn't get to seduce a single soul during those 3500 years. So, if the Liberliganus arc take place soon after the current comic (and I am hoping to see the Bug's and Farhan's side of things for those events), which was 500 BC, this would mean Mokhadun ended around 4000 BC. Did we ever get an actual date position for Mokhadun before? I don't remember.

A quick wikipedia search tell me that the Early Dynastic Period of Egypt start around 3100 BC, indicating that the Mokhadun people reached prehistoric Egypt 900 years before the people of the Nile started having some kind of royal lineage. I guess it works.

Thanks for doing that research GUIGUI. That really starts to put things into perspective.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 am 
GUIGUI wrote:

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2013-08-05

When Siphaniana told Riff's dad that she studied Egyptian hieroglyphs he told her, that she studied a 'few thousand years to late'. The first decipherable Hieroglyphs were from around 2800 BC (there were some proto-hieroglyphs earlier but I guess they don't count).
Hieroglyphs were used in Egypt until the Ptolemaic era which ended with queen Cleopatra (30 BC) but I guess Dr Wilden is talking about the Egyptian Era which ended with 1077 BC

A common understanding of 'a few' ist three or more.

So I would place Mokhadun earlier but around 4000 BC (around 1000 BC minus 3 times 1000 years) would be the latest date that wouldn't need the assumption that Riffs daddy is simply wrong or misleading...

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:42 am 
This is not a question about today's strip, but rather about these forum posts.

(I apologize if this has been answered before, and perhaps many times, but I can't find the info, and I unfortunately don't make it to the forums as frequently as I used to do...)

The question is: What is the deal with the number is brackets? For instance, this thread is titled "Strip for April 29, 2021 [9-42]. What is the 9-42?

I've tried to find a pattern (other than ascending numbers, usually, but not always, and some that are #+# format instead of #-#.)

Doesn't seem to correspond with dates, and as a result doesn't seem to correspond to the strip's # in the archives, either.

Thanks in advance!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
It's the nth comic of the month, then jth comic of the year, respectively. I think Zil keeps track of that because the new DefNif program charges per comic so it's useful info for defenders to have handy. (well, monthly it is. Not sure why he also keeps track of it for the year...)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:57 am 
StatisticMan wrote:

Minor quibble: all the dictionaries I looked in said "a small number" or variations on that. "Three or more" would satisfy that.

But LSAT study guides say "a few" is "not many, but more than one." So according to LSAT, it's two or more.
https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/ls ... nology.cfm

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2021 8:03 pm 
Uh oh, Farhan, I'm getting some ZHOAS vibes from ya XD then again, 3500 is a lonnnng time, no wonder you look so different in present day!

Post Posted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:28 am 
And we all know LSAT study guides are the arbiters of a language. A dictionary definition would be more reliable. In standard usage, two is "a couple" and you generally would not use "few" to refer to a number less than three. That said, we're not really stuck to integer multiples of 1000 years are we? So something like 2500 years still seems reasonable (i.e. rounding up).

Post Posted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:36 am 
garyfritz wrote:
StatisticMan wrote:

Minor quibble: all the dictionaries I looked in said "a small number" or variations on that. "Three or more" would satisfy that.

But LSAT study guides say "a few" is "not many, but more than one." So according to LSAT, it's two or more.
https://www.powerscore.com/lsat/help/ls ... nology.cfm

I'm not a native speaker (which is painfully obvious in some situations) so thanks for the clarification. :-)
This would make the fall of Mokhadun around 4000 BC much more likely...

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions