Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It should be all of them, we haven't been in any contests since we left the ship several days ago.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:31 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I spent a point for a satellite network and another point on laser focus.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:08 am 
Kajin wrote:
How many fate points do I have left?

At the time you asked the question, you had eight - you've used a couple, here and there, since the last refresh, but you still have plenty.

Kajin wrote:
I spent a point for a satellite network and another point on laser focus.

One FATE point will be enough to get what you're after here. A second one would be just wasted - it'll gain you literally no further benefit - so it's best to stick with just the one. That will leave you with seven.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:49 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
CCC wrote:
One FATE point will be enough to get what you're after here. A second one would be just wasted - it'll gain you literally no further benefit - so it's best to stick with just the one. That will leave you with seven.

Sorry, I was saying I already spent a point getting that network way back before we went on hiatus and I spent the second on laser focus to get my skill check up to a point I could find out Piper was playing a joke on me.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:11 pm 
Kajin wrote:
CCC wrote:

Sorry, I was saying I already spent a point getting that network way back before we went on hiatus and I spent the second on laser focus to get my skill check up to a point I could find out Piper was playing a joke on me.

Whoops. Apologies, completely misunderstood.

...you've got everything that the brother knows by now, incidentally. I'm not sure that tagging anything else will help at this point.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:39 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, he does still know what the horse looks like.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:41 pm 
...I had not even considered that.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:48 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
How widely spaced are the communities along the roads around here? The usual market towns every 10-40 kilometers (depending on conditions) and several assorted hamlets and villages between them?

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:03 pm 
This village is seriously out of the way - you won't find another one until you get to the other side of the forest. Which, yes, is dark and creepy.

Once you do get to the other side of the forest, though, there are little hamlets at fairly regular intervals. The intervals are a little further than you would expect to find on Earth, but not significantly so - you can probably follow Ivan by the simple method of asking villagers whether or not they have seen his horse. (Unless he abandoned the horse and cut across the mountains, of course, but why would he do that?)

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
If it's a day and a half for the trucks to make it through the forest, then Ivan didn't go that way. It's not possible for him to have started down that road we came in on, just half a day before we entered that forest, and come out the other side before we got to that point. Not on the same horse he rode in on, and even with regular staging posts it would have been an amazing ride.

Please note: you've described this as the only road into a logging town. All the trade has to go down that route, which means it has to be suitable for wagons (even if not much fun). The trucks would easily make better time down that sort of path than a walking horse ever could.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:33 pm 
He didn't start down that road a half a day before you entered that forest and avoid you. He started down the road a full two days ahead of you; the best estimate is that he exited the forest maybe half a day before you entered it. It's now about two days since his abrupt departure.

The forest road is a horrible little twisty thing which appears to have been designed for carts a full 10% narrower than your trucks; mainly because it's easier for me to try to figure out the times if everyone who goes through the forest takes around a day and a half.

If you go straight through the forest, then when you come out the other side you'd be about two days behind him; if you knew exactly where he was, you'd catch him before the end of the next day. Stopping to ask if people have seen him might delay you a little, though.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:03 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
If that's the only road, then we had to have entered the forest on it a day and a half before we got to the castle (since that's how long it takes to traverse). He started traveling two days ago, so he only had half a day to clear it before we entered the other end. If he hadn't done so we would have seen him somewhere along the route.

Now if we came in by some other route, that's different; but that's not what it sounds like.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:13 pm 
...you are perfectly correct. I have messed up the timelines.

However, there is at least one little background effect that can account for this. It's been a while since it was explicitly mentioned, but you may recall that in some of your earlier journeys, there was a bit of a disagreement between your group and the people on the Ship, regarding just how many days you'd been gone for (somehow, you were spending a lot more days on the road than the people on the Ship were spending building up their numbers). That still hasn't been resolved - and it allows the current messed-up timeline to exist, messes and all.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
'Time is subjective, lunch time doubly so.'

Right. We're off to find the Ivan, the resistant Ivan of ours...

Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I touched on that when I prayed to Piper not too long ago. I do assume she's the one doing the time shenanigans.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG