Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Starvation is an issue, but it also isn't," he says. "Most of our people are frozen in icy stasis waiting for such time as we're capable of growing enough food to accommodate them all. We're in no danger of mass starvation, but a lot of our people are in no state to do anything useful for anyone."

Felix sighs.

"Having some of our people working for you solves some of those issues. Bit of cultural exchange where we can learn about each other," he says. "Also with your consent they could begin paper production using waste products from your logging operations and be used to help spread valuable knowledge."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks at Sir Ulath. "Are you willing to tell people that the problem with the countess is over now?"

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:47 pm 
The Count looks more than a little confused at this idea of starvation simultaneously being and not being a problem. But before he can request clarification on the issue, Arkady asks Sir Ulath a question, and so the Count holds his questions for the moment, apparently in the hope that the situation will soon start making sense...

"Not much of a speaker," grunts Sir Ulath. "But it serves a purpose, so I can do it."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:43 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "Good." He turns to the count, then goes on: "But the first man we should look for is not worried about the countess. Ivan left two days ago on foot; with luck we could catch him by sundown. I am thinking it would be your word he would be wanting, my lord. If you would be willing to give us a letter to that effect, we may be able to have him back here in time for the funeral. Then he can take over training any Terrans who may come."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:39 am 
"Indeed!" says the Count, latching onto something he can understand. "Ivan's return would be a, er, most helpful indeed. There is much that he knows about estate management that I do not... I shall get directly on that letter. I could also organise the use of some horses from the village, if that would help..."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:06 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "I think we can move faster without them, unless he went right over the mountains. Is there anyone you can think of he might have at least wanted to visit as he left; family or friends among the other servants?"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:17 am 
"He does have a brother in the village below the Castle, though I'm not sure he would have stopped by for a visit..."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:24 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"It's as good a first place to check as any,", Felix says. "If he's not there his brother might know where he went."

Felix will explain the basic concept of cryogenics to the Count if an opportunity presents itself as they get ready to leave. From there he'll see if a deal can be worked out, however it might end up looking.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:12 am 
The Count is reluctant to call you a liar to your face, but he's pretty sure that people who are frozen just die.

The biggest problem when it comes to working out a deal with the Count is the same problem that cropped up when you asked him the first time you were here - that his little village really doesn't produce that much excess food. If he tightens his belt a bit and manages to persuade some of the villagers to do the same, then he might be able to take in and save a few people who would otherwise starve; but he doesn't exactly have any amount of food to trade with. Honestly, despite the large and intimidating castle, his little village really has very little in the way of useful things that can be traded - practically nothing at all, really.

But he will give you directions to Ivan's brother's house. I presume you're headed over that way?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady takes in the Count's expression about being frozen, and as they leave comments: "My lord, you may want to reread the story of how we got here while we're looking."

Then they head for Ivan's brother's house. Hopefully he doesn't shoot at them on sight.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:54 am 
--------------

Ivan's brother, as it turns out, is a woodcutter. And he's not at home; he's out, woodcutting (but a few enquiries get you pointed in the right direction).

In short, he's a big man with an axe; though he is smaller than Sir Ulath, and his axe is a lot smaller than Sir Ulath's axe. He doesn't shoot you on sight, though he does look up as you approach.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:00 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady tries to get a read on the fellow, but defers to Felix on talking to him.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:34 am 
Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -2 Total: +3
Ivan's Brother: Resolve: +2 Roll: -2 Total: +0

Arkady gets the impression that the brother doesn't much like them.

Not that he appears to have anything against the Terrans in particular; but more that he doesn't like people from outside the village. Strangers, people he didn't grow up with - in his eyes, you're no better than foreigners, and foreigners can't ever be trusted. Most of your group aren't even Elene; and those who are (Talen, Sir Ulath), are clearly associating with non-Elenes!

Doubtless none of your group are up to any good at all.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:19 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks at the expression he's seen on countless Russians, then glances over at Felix: "I don't think he likes strangers."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:23 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix notes this and asks about Ivan.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG