Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 897 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:02 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 299
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I am actually ready to bet the Paper Mummy is actually Soco's girlfriend.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 am 
Offline
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Posts: 110
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
And according to Sluggy Logic(tm), Riff and his father are canonically the only direct descendants of Symachus, despite that family line starting thousands of years before even the events of this current chapter. So the good professor has no place here, I'm afraid.


I guess the explanation that something is in a certain way because it is required by the plot is a little bit lazy. It's a good practice to avoid plot holes and from my point of view Pete's story telling is extremely consistent.

There are already explanations how to interpret the descendance more exclusive. For example maybe for Symachus-ness (or Allie-ness) only affects the firstborn (as far as we know Riff is a firstborn). Or it works like a gene which is passed or isn't passed with a 50-50-chance if only one of the parents has the Symachus-ness.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:13 pm 
Offline
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:09 am
Posts: 44
Lord Golbez wrote:
Non-serious spec: Allie is the ancestor of Torg ... Potter.

GUIGUI wrote:
It''s still not 100% confirmed that the paper mummy is actually Allie.


It's extremely likely. Farahn even referred to the mummy as an "old flame," which seems to fit the relationship shown here (i.e. the "old Gwynn").

It's technically not impossible, albeit fairly unlikely, for a person from thousands of years ago to have only a few or even one living descendant. All that needs to happen is for each generation to only have one kid that survives to reproduce. Simple as that. How unlikely is that over like 100 generations? Pretty unlikely I guess, but there's a lot of people in the world.


It's an interesting idea though. Allie was trained by her father, witnessed the books creation and understands the rules. She has a solid understanding of how she's breaking those rules and how to deal with that.

But a granddaughter inheriting the book from a disinterested father who hasn't taught her anything solid, and who has a romantic notion of her grandmother and wants to follow in her footsteps without knowing what not to do could easily fall prey to the whiles of the book.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:37 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1577
Website: http://econniff.blogspot.com/
Location: Just outside the city limits
StatisticMan wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
And according to Sluggy Logic(tm), Riff and his father are canonically the only direct descendants of Symachus, despite that family line starting thousands of years before even the events of this current chapter. So the good professor has no place here, I'm afraid.


I guess the explanation that something is in a certain way because it is required by the plot is a little bit lazy. It's a good practice to avoid plot holes and from my point of view Pete's story telling is extremely consistent.

There are already explanations how to interpret the descendance more exclusive. For example maybe for Symachus-ness (or Allie-ness) only affects the firstborn (as far as we know Riff is a firstborn). Or it works like a gene which is passed or isn't passed with a 50-50-chance if only one of the parents has the Symachus-ness.

I mean...it's only a plot hole if you know that obscure fact about how genetics works over long timescales. Most people won't think twice. It's like saying FTL travel is a plot hole because it's not scientifically possible in the real world.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 am 
Offline
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Posts: 110
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
I mean...it's only a plot hole if you know that obscure fact about how genetics works over long timescales. Most people won't think twice. It's like saying FTL travel is a plot hole because it's not scientifically possible in the real world.


I can see your point.

In certain situations good storytelling must literally desintegrate the laws of probability. For example when it comes to parallel dimensions what are the odds that you meet exactly the same people you know from your home dimension? But everything else would just be boring ...

But if something in a fictional world works differently in certain sense, I think the readers should be told. I would FTL travel still consider a plot whole if it isn't explained by some fictional technology like a "hyper drive" or a "warp engine".

If Riff and his father are the sole descendants from Symachus (which wasn't officially stated until now as far as I remember) there should be some explanation like anchestors of their line were only allowed to have exactly one direct offspring.

But from my point of view this exclusivity isn't even needed for the story. We still see humanity as different peoples, even if we know that all the bloodlines got mixed at some point in the past.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1630
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
Spec!!! Spec!! spec! I think i'm beginning to see where this is going. People are going to start showing off (this spell does this...well, that spell does that... annnnnnndd apparently this other spell creates a giant sinkhole right about here{points to ground presently occupied by own feet}). OoooOOOpsie. Sound reasonable?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:47 am 
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:50 pm
Posts: 1459
Remember when I said Basphomy's time beginning probably referred to her time as a ruler of a holiday? It seems like Basphomy is already a ruler of a holiday in this flashback. That means we could likely see the use of an egg in this flashback.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:47 am 
Offline
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 1577
Website: http://econniff.blogspot.com/
Location: Just outside the city limits
I'm thinking along those lines too. Allie already seems to have gone a bit far with all the liberties she's taken, I can't imagine she'll be subtle about what Bas wants from her. They'll probably go overboard, and then 'poof' Krigg in Zeus(?)-mode stops them with the first Egg (and locks her in the book? hmm)

At the start of the chapter, during Rana and Dunaloa's lunar eclipse powwow, Dunaloa is pretty happy that Basphomy has finally escaped the prison Bun Bun put her in, and then ends the discussion saying "I can speak to mine and they will listen." She means she can use Basphomy as her minion down on earth. So whatever Bas is about to discuss with Allie, it's probably going to involve the beginnings of Dunaloa's plans for revenge against Fahran.

So I can't help but wonder if whatever they do won't be entirely thwarted, and the vestiges of this potentially impending scheming might survive to be acted out in the present day..

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:01 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:59 pm
Posts: 1892
Location: In "Still" waters...
Lord Golbez wrote:
Remember when I said Basphomy's time beginning probably referred to her time as a ruler of a holiday? It seems like Basphomy is already a ruler of a holiday in this flashback. That means we could likely see the use of an egg in this flashback.

I doubt it.
Basphomy wrote:
But the second egg was when my time was just beginning...

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=39#2003-12-14
Yet,
Lemuri (Bast/Basphomy) wrote:
I have had many names.

If her time is "just beginning" in this storyline, then she should not already have "had many names." No, I am afraid the second egg is another story, for another time... [quick, someone add the second Deus Ex Ovum to the list of "open threads!"...]

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:07 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 am
Posts: 1685
Spec: Ozzid is only finally speaking now because his master is going a bit loopy and susceptible to the dark demon side?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:28 am 
Offline
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:50 pm
Posts: 1459
swmartian wrote:
Lord Golbez wrote:
Remember when I said Basphomy's time beginning probably referred to her time as a ruler of a holiday? It seems like Basphomy is already a ruler of a holiday in this flashback. That means we could likely see the use of an egg in this flashback.

I doubt it.
Basphomy wrote:
But the second egg was when my time was just beginning...

https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?chapter=39#2003-12-14
Yet,
Lemuri (Bast/Basphomy) wrote:
I have had many names.

If her time is "just beginning" in this storyline, then she should not already have "had many names." No, I am afraid the second egg is another story, for another time... [quick, someone add the second Deus Ex Ovum to the list of "open threads!"...]


Did you literally fail to read my first sentence and then act like your comment debunked my spec without even addressing it? She could have many names for a lot of reasons that don't correspond to ruling holidays. Heck her "time" still might not be beginning yet here, since she's not yet Basphomy.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:38 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:47 am
Posts: 252
AOL: Eagle299
So, I think she's going to become the first vampire.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:44 am
Posts: 1685
Eagle299 wrote:
So, I think she's going to become the first vampire.

Ooh, maybe. I was wondering if she'd become Sin'thea La'mort. She looked pretty old and wrote a book on magic.
That would also tie Hereti corp, dr steve, oasis, etc. back into the mix, which would be neat...if a bit of a stretch.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 299
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Eagle299 wrote:
So, I think she's going to become the first vampire.

I was going for that too. Even if it's complete shoot in the dark. Remain to see ho will be the Paper Mummy.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:59 pm
Posts: 1892
Location: In "Still" waters...
Lord Golbez wrote:
Did you literally fail to read my first sentence and then act like your comment debunked my spec without even addressing it?

Jeez, chill dude. You've been spending way too much time on social media. I disagreed with you and stated my reason without getting snippy. Glad you're having such a great day...

I still think you are stretching the point. She did not say "my time as Basphomy" or "my time as Halloween" or "my time as a holiday". I am interpreting the statement more literally. I also think that since Bun-Bun was at the second Deus Ex Ovum that the story of its use would be more than just a quick side story - and while Pete has become substantially side-tracked before, I do not think he wants to be away from the main story for all that long this time...

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 897 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: