Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:27 pm 
Rasei wrote:
I cannot help but feel that Allie looks so much like Zoe's sister. Could Zoe be a descendent of Allie through her father?

Suggesting that she may be the original bug squasher? I mean stormbreaker? Hmm.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:27 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Wasn't Zoe's dad like a Viking though?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 pm 
GUIGUI wrote:
I think it's far enough in the past for Allie to be the ancestor of many people of Eurasia. If she ever got children of her own.

Sluggy logic almost certainly dictates that she's one specific character's ancestor though

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:50 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
You know what, if we are going to make a current character related to someone who was ahead of the game, regarding the book, the cult and K'Z'K, we might as well make Allie related to Tombsy:
https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2014-06-18

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 am 
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:
I think it's far enough in the past for Allie to be the ancestor of many people of Eurasia. If she ever got children of her own.

Sluggy logic almost certainly dictates that she's one specific character's ancestor though

According to Joseph Chang the Professor of Statistics and Data Science at Yale 20 percent of the adult Europeans alive in 1000 AD would turn out to be the ancestors of no one living today (that is, they had no children or all their descendants eventually died childless); each of the remaining 80 percent would turn out to be a direct ancestor of every European living today.

All of the (human) cast members seem to have European ancestors. And if one of Allies descendants was alive in 1000 AD it would imply that all of the cast is descendant of Allie with a probability of at least 80 percent and if not, none of them.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:54 am 
StatisticMan wrote:
All of the (human) cast members seem to have European ancestors. And if one of Allies descendants was alive in 1000 AD it would imply that all of the cast is descendant of Allie with a probability of at least 80 percent and if not, none of them.

You seems to ignore possibility of having "direct" descendant. If you take "firstborn of the firstborn of the firstborn..." into account, there will be only 1 per generation.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:57 am 
VcSaJen wrote:
StatisticMan wrote:

You seems to ignore possibility of having "direct" descendant. If you take "firstborn of the firstborn of the firstborn..." into account, there will be only 1 per generation.

Not ignoring that. That's exactly what I wrote in the reaction thread for strip February 22, 2021 [9-19] :-) :
StatisticMan wrote:
Perharps it's a first-born-thing, which would make the bloodline thing much more exclusive...

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am 
FullMetalArchivist wrote:

In the current strip Ozzid kills the cultist pretty much the same way as the little demon from https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1999-07-29 and https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1999-07-30 slays Sighard.

That's more evidence for this speculation.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:21 pm 
The problem with the "little flying demon = ozzid" is that in that scene there are a LOT of them (I count at least 15 that look identical to ozzid). Seems very likely they are the same class of demon, but hard to tell if they are the same exact demon from that.

GUIGUI wrote:
You know what, if we are going to make a current character related to someone who was ahead of the game, regarding the book, the cult and K'Z'K, we might as well make Allie related to Tombsy:

I... honestly thought this was supposed to be fairly explicit.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:29 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
GlyphGryph wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:

I... honestly thought this was supposed to be fairly explicit.

There are actual clues? How did you just thought it was obvious from the go that who Wilcott work for is what that story was about?

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:59 am 
To be honest, if I were to guess Allie was related to anybody, it would be Val. https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1999-07-19

Also re Allie, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, so apologies if I missed it, but it seems evident to me her not-exactly "mummy" state is a result of becoming "one with the book". https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 2004-11-17

And the fact that Farahn's "summon old flame Allie" book was just the first in a series of "heart" books (her single heart, followed by 2 and 3 hearts), suggests that becoming "one with the book" is not exclusive to Allie or Gwynn. How many are there in total? Is Farahn a serial monogamist? (Pun accidental, but let's pretend it was intended.)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 am 
It''s still not 100% confirmed that the paper mummy is actually Allie.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:37 am 
GlyphGryph wrote:
The problem with the "little flying demon = ozzid" is that in that scene there are a LOT of them (I count at least 15 that look identical to ozzid). Seems very likely they are the same class of demon, but hard to tell if they are the same exact demon from that.

Good point.
Nonetheless when I check https://archives.sluggy.com/book.php?ch ... 1999-07-25, there is only one demon with a nose like Ozzid per panel.
For the others, they are to distant to see their faical features.

I guess back in the 20th century Pete wasn't planning to bring that specific character again as sidekick of a Etruscan sorceress (on the other hand, you never know :-) ). But it wouldn't be an inconsistency and it would make certain sense, because this demon will be tasked to hide the book again (and we don't know yet how this played out...).

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:28 am 
StatisticMan wrote:
Yodimus_Prime wrote:
GUIGUI wrote:

According to Joseph Chang the Professor of Statistics and Data Science at Yale 20 percent of the adult Europeans alive in 1000 AD would turn out to be the ancestors of no one living today (that is, they had no children or all their descendants eventually died childless); each of the remaining 80 percent would turn out to be a direct ancestor of every European living today.

And according to Sluggy Logic(tm), Riff and his father are canonically the only direct descendants of Symachus, despite that family line starting thousands of years before even the events of this current chapter. So the good professor has no place here, I'm afraid.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:29 am 
Non-serious spec: Allie is the ancestor of Torg ... Potter.

GUIGUI wrote:
It''s still not 100% confirmed that the paper mummy is actually Allie.

It's extremely likely. Farahn even referred to the mummy as an "old flame," which seems to fit the relationship shown here (i.e. the "old Gwynn").

It's technically not impossible, albeit fairly unlikely, for a person from thousands of years ago to have only a few or even one living descendant. All that needs to happen is for each generation to only have one kid that survives to reproduce. Simple as that. How unlikely is that over like 100 generations? Pretty unlikely I guess, but there's a lot of people in the world.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2087 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat