Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:06 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Friday needs to go do something. So this is all you get.

---
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:19 am 
Hello Miss, I heard you had a cultist problem? I'm afraid we're gonna have to fumigate the whole building, it's gonna cost you sooo much.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:30 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Classic Pete bait and switch.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:48 am 
Glad the cultist problem wasn't something a wizzard and science guy like Quint counldn't take care of. The dialogue between Allie and Quint was comedy gold: Abstruse comparisons between mice and cultists, macabre misunderstandings and yet plot development..

The comic gave me another reason to check historic maps. So Mantua is a Etruscan village located in the northern border region between the Etruscan civilisation and the lands of the Gauls. I guess that may be considered the edge of civilized world for someone like Quint.

Taking into account that there aren't Roman roads in Italy yet (as seen in the first panel) it might take several days to get there: about 250 hilly and mountainous miles.

If Quint takes the other direction to the southern border of Etruscan settlements (close to the Mount Vesuvius) it's about 200 miles where there is relatively little slope for his cart. But he will have to cross Latium (including his favorite city state Rome).

And this region will be closer to Greek colonies (most notably Elea) and Quint has at least shown a certain interest in Greek civilisation.

Last edited by StatisticMan on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:41 am 
StatisticMan wrote:
Glad the cultist problem wasn't something a wizzard and science guy like Quint counldn't take care of. The dialogue between Allie and Quint was comedy gold: Abstruse comparisons between mice and cultists, macabre misunderstandings and yet plot development..

The comic gave me another reason to check historic maps. So Mantua is a Etruscan village located in the northern border region between the Etruscan civilisation and the lands of the Gauls. I guess that may be considered the edge of civilized world for someone like Quint.

Taking into account that there aren't Roman roads in Italy yet (as seen in the first panel) it might take several days to get there: about 250 hilly and mountainous miles.

If Quint takes the other direction to the southern border of Etruscan settlements (close to the Mount Vesuvius) it's about 200 miles where there is relatively little slope for his cart. But he will have to cross Latinum (including his favorite city state Rome).

And this region will be closer to Greek colonies (most notably Elea) and Quint has at least shown a certain interest in Greek civilisation.

So you're saying it's a good thing they have a horse?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 am 
Spirantz wrote:

I don't know. If they stay close to the Tyrrhenian sea the landscape is rather flat and there certainly were roads but probably not paved ones.
Or a you talking about wooden horses for Greek cities? ;-)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:30 pm 
StatisticMan wrote:
Spirantz wrote:

I don't know. If they stay close to the Tyrrhenian sea the landscape is rather flat and there certainly were roads but probably not paved ones.
Or a you talking about wooden horses for Greek cities? ;-)

Nothing quite so clever today. Rather, me wondering if and how anything you said was relevant to the plot in any way, whatsoever. lol.

I'm assuming the next comic will be of them safe and sound in the next destination, via classic comic timeline style ;)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:43 pm 
I enjoyed the speculative topographical realism :P

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:47 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I wonder how much of the "scripting issues" Pete had actually was him taking time to do more throughout historical researches.

If it means quality writing like that, Pete, never feel bad about taking your time to do that.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:13 pm 
some of us are nerds who enjoy talking about nerdy stuff, like early Etruscan geography. Me, I'm nerd.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:10 pm 
Who was criticizing? Not me.

I'm just happy they have a horse, of course :torg:

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions