Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:41 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Monday is prepared to wait as long as possible to fulfill it's destiny as the chosen one!

Well...

If it takes longer than a day, it may let someone else wait for their destiny instead.

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day!

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 am 
How inconvenient that he already has something similar! I guess there will be no sale, today.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:31 am 
This appears to be confirmation that "Zeus" in the story about the eggs is actually the Krig. Is that spec? I mean I think it's really just reading between the lines. The info is all there.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:19 am 
Tin, Tinia? Pete playing with words is always fun, and I never catch where he's going until it's done. Remember the names of Bun-bun's space pirates.

That second link takes me back! To 2013, and the name Sluggy. It means "likes to punch people in the head a lot". Such a poetic name for such a small bunny.

Ah, Elder Soco in that chapter. You were too good for your rough era.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:18 am 
Looking at the subtitle of this chapter, Liber legis means"Book of Records," so maybe "Quintus Liberligaus" is a play on "5th Book of Records?"

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:29 am 
Is that a deux egg thingy in the krig's hand?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:00 am 
Here's some context for those who don't have time to do their own research:

Around 500 BC, Tarchna/Tarchuna was one of many city-states inhabited by Etruscans – or Rasenna as they called themselves. The Etruscan civilization was past its peak. It still dominated its surroundings, but its sphere of influence was slowly shrinking.

Tinia was the Etruscan god of the sky, and is considered eqivalent to Zeus and Jupiter.

"Quintus liberliganus" is clearly Latin, and the book mummy spoke Latin, but the Etruscan language was not related to Latin. It wasn't even an Indoeuropean language. It is believed to have been a remnant of one of the language families that were spoken in Europe before the Indoeuropean expansion. Latin was spoken in a small region by the coast, south of the Etruscan-speaking region but still dominated by Etruscans. Rome was a young town in this region. The dominant language of learning and international contacts was Greek.

Etruscan was usually written right to left, as can be seen on the base of the statue of Tinia. Its alphabet was derived from Greek, and in turn became the basis of the Latin alphabet.

An incidental find: The longest surviving Etruscan text is preserved because it was recycled as mummy wrappings.

randomlanguage wrote:
Looking at the subtitle of this chapter, Liber legis means"Book of Records," so maybe "Quintus Liberligaus" is a play on "5th Book of Records?"

I rather think I glimpse the root of "lignin", "ligand", "ligature" and others. Let's see ... "ligō" means "bind", "wrap" or "unite", so it may have connections to book binding, the page of binding, or mummies.

tube_rat wrote:
Is that a deux egg thingy in the krig's hand?

A diagonally striped circle or ellipse was the Krig's symbol in Mokhadun, so that may just be a three-dimensional version of the symbol.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:04 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Thanks a lot for the infos, Rombobjörn, it was really interesting.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions