Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:53 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
A possible answer on who and what: the defense bill which he vetoed contained a section which criminalizes his shell companies. Under significant criminal liability he is obliged to publically own them all, and hence is exposed for all the crimes he created them to commit. Let's see if that section of the bill is still there if the veto is overridden.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:28 pm 
Looks like you guys might have a bunch of angry militias roaming the streets of DC on January 6th.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Could be, yes. Though I strongly suspect they'll find the local police a lot less accommodating than some of their brethren. Fun for the whole family.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:31 pm 
Ted Cruz... He would not be out of place among the regime toadies here. He and a bunch of GOP senators, with Pence's overt support, will vote against confirming the election results. This is clearly not going to stop. The Republicans aren't going to come to their senses. The modern GOP is an antidemocratic organization closer to Victor Orban's or Rodrigo Duterte's parties than to a conventional conservative party. They're fine with making the validity of elections a partisan issue. They will keep trying. You are looking at serious democratic deterioration.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:03 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Looks like Harris will need to keep her seat in the Senate warm for a while; the Democrats have basically taken both seats in Georgia. I wonder if DC is auditioning a new state bird?

Oh, and Trump noted that if his two lost white collar criminals lost then folks would blame him. He might actually be right about that.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The Brooks Brothers Riot (the folks who went from DC to Florida for Dubya) has gotten a bit bigger and nastier and come back to Washington. One wonders if Trump thinks keeping Congress from counting the electoral college votes will keep him president. Well, we shall see.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 pm 
Incredible self-own by the MAGAts, tanking their own turnout with conspiracy theories.

So several Republican senators have backed down and decided to confirm the electoral college vote after being spooked by the riot. I really really hope that this finally breaks the pattern of Republicans acting sheepish in the immediate wake of some horrible event and then doubling down a few days or weeks later after polls come out showing 80-90% of Republican voters liked the horrible event.

I am maybe 50% optimistic. Trump will be out and Warnock and Ossoff will be seated, but Republicans have kept learning that there is no penalty for undermining democracy for years. How fast can they unlearn it? Is this enough to scare them off trying to overturn elections in the future? At least Cruz and Hawley have now wrecked their attempt to set themselves up as MAGA successors. Moderates will be pissed at them for their riot-provoking stunt and MAGAts will be pissed at them for abandoning Trump because of a wee bit of insurrection. Will someone just as bad replace them?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Something just as bad if not worse will certainly try; it's the Republicans after all. But to be fair, only 43% of them admitted to liking the invasion of the Capitol when polled; and 45% claimed to be against it. The other 13%? Doubtless they had more important things on their minds.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:59 am 
Oh, so "only" 12-15% of the country actively supports authoritarian coup attempts. Great. We're already seeing the conspiracy spinning and the doubling down. (When in doubt, blame Antifa.) Fox is probably worried about losing market share to Newsmax and OANN.

I doubt it ever crosses the mind of Americans, but Trump's conspiracy theories have worldwide impact. There's a contingent of Chinese dissidents and Hong Kong democracy activists who have bought into Trump lies because they think Trump is tough on Beijing. They've bought that Hunter Biden has corrupt business dealings in China, that Joe Biden is a CCP puppet, that the Democrats stole the election, that Covid-19 was made in a lab in Wuhan.

Remember a little while back when Steve Bannon was peddling a pseudoscientific paper full of Covid conspiracies? That was written by a Chinese virologist who fled Hong Kong because she legitimately tried to blow the whistle on the fact that the Chinese authorities knew about human-to-human transmission earlier than they let on, but wound up in the orbit of Miles Gui (corrupt businessman now styling himself as an anti-CCP activist) and Steve Bannon.

And one of the more bizarre players in the US right wing media ecosystem is the Epoch Times, a publication (I'm loath to say "newspaper) run by the Falun Gong. They've gone all-in on Trump, and they publish in both English and Chinese, and they did a lot to push the Hunter Biden conspiracy. In the US they're just one of many conspiracy mongers, but in Chinese language media they have unfortunately cornered the anti-CCP market, because the CCP has been systematically knocking out independent voices in the diaspora for years, and the Falun Gong loonies are one of the few left. So anyone looking for alternative voices and who only reads Chinese will inevitably encounter the Epoch Times.

Thanks Trump. You've actually ruined everything.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I'm sure he'd be thrilled, if only he could figure out how to use them.

Meanwhile Pelosi wants Pence to step up and get rid of Trump by invoking the 25th Amendment. A Republican administration (because it would have to be everyone but Trump) is supposed to put the good of the country ahead of their narrowest short term political interests? Needless to say there's going to have to be a vote on a second impeachment, and once again the party of corruption will protect their leader, but at least it will embarrass a few of their senators. Which is what it's all about, I suppose.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:43 am 
The MAGAnuts are plotting another riot/violent revolt before/during the inauguration. And 1/2 to 2/3 of the Congressional Republicans are still like "sure an angry mob came within a minute of crashing into our chamber and beating some of us to death on live streaming, but there's no need for divisive hyperbole, Biden." It's mighty convenient for them to be raging at Twitter than to reckon with Attempted Lynching, the Upcoming Sequel. I'm not sure whether I would be more shocked if Trump pardoned all the rioters in the next 10 days, or if he was too lazy to bother.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:54 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Me, I'd put a few cents on him trying but wording it poorly enough that it doesn't actually count. It's not like anyone working for him these days has shown much of a working grasp of legalese.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:38 am 
Thanks for nothing, Mitch.

*massive eyeroll*

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:45 am 
Somehow we're still unsure if there are 17 Republican senators are willing convict Trump of inciting a mob to murder Mike Pence. While I'm sure that many would be happy to bar Trump from running for office again, most of them still appear to be afraid of their bases, at least half of whom are delusional. Most seem to have settled into the weaselliest position of acknowledging that Biden will be president "for the sake of national healing" without admitting that he won it fair and square. We probably will see the total crack-up of the Republican Party in the next 2 or 3 years, but I bet it will involve the corporate wing walking out in disgust and leaving the loonies in charge.

I have been seeing some references to the bizarre millenarian cults that have cropped up in previous times of political strife throughout history, and this looks like one of them. I have no idea what to do with that.

Also one thing I never would've predicted 10 years ago - Mitt Romney growing a spine.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:06 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Passiflora wrote:
Also one thing I never would've predicted 10 years ago - Mitt Romney growing a spine.

It helps immensely that Trump is rather unpopular in Utah.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts