Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:12 am 
If the Republicans actually manage to dissuade their voters from showing up in January in Georgia, that would be a pretty epic self-own.

Young people generally do face more hassle voting than older people, though. It's easier to jump through the correct bureaucratic hoops when you have been living at the same address for the last 25 years than when you move to a new dorm room or apartment every year, don't have recognized forms of ID, don't have a car (or driver's license), or work a crappy shift job with weird hours. It's probably remarkable that as many young people vote as they do...

As an overseas voter, I appear to be required to re-register for every bloody election, and no longer possess a valid Massachusetts ID, so I have to register freaking MONTHS in advance. I registered in September, and it was pretty much luck that Mass. now lets overseas voters submit by email that I was able to vote in time at all. (Due to Covid mail delays, airmail to the US takes at least 3 weeks.) So I should have registered as early as July, but I suck at paperwork...

Post Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:32 am 
Apparently Trump is contemplating pardoning three of his children....

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:04 am 
So all of Trump's lawyers have caught the coronavirus? Just, wow.

So there's nothing left for Trump to do but sulk and plan his Look At Me, Not Joe Biden Rally. Supposedly some of his closest advisers are encouraging him to run for president again in 2024, mostly as a way to get him used to the idea of leaving the White House at all. I do wonder how future historians will explain this period. If in 300 years, they haven't managed to figure out how to archive Trump's tweets and much video footage is lost to the digital mists of obsolete file formats, will they actually understand how dysfunctional of an individual he actually was?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suspect his accomplishments would speak for themselves, even if all the books that aren't clearly pure Republican lies are lost. But let's face it, the honest ones are the only ones that might survive: the rest get remaindered and/or tossed out with the trash because their entire market is illiterate or aliterate.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:37 pm 
I'm sure he will be remembered as one of America's top five worst presidents, but maybe people will forget what he was like as a person and start to analyse his decisions as though they were driven by rational political calculation instead of whatever talking head he last saw on Fox, whichever adviser flattered him the most, or pure spite. They may forget that this was man whose advisors wrung their hands about how to tell him that he lost an election. It's hard to believe that any president could ever be that stupid and vain, so I think future imaginations will fail.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:26 am 
Depends whoose accounts survive. If only pro Trump accounts survive, he might be remembered as tragically failed reformer, who was cut down by the elites.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:00 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
If only pro-Trump accounts remain then they'll be read by alien archeologists who will know better than to take the views of a suicidaly stupid extinct species all that seriously.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:50 pm 
Trump's convinced 70% of Republican voters that he really won the election. They aren't going to quietly pretend that they never liked Trump because he has the stink of losing on him. They're going to impose a Trump Was Robbed litmus test for future Republican candidates.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Maybe, but that kind of depends on Trump remaining The Leader. There's a lot that can go wrong with that. And without him an awful lot of this followers will go back to being politicaly marginalized because the generic Republican con man doesn't do it for them as much as this particular con man.

Well, we'll see. I imagine a great deal will hinge on the election in Georgia; we'll have to see how that goes and what happens next.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:25 am 
I sure hope the angry far-right will suppress their own turnout out of spite. I saw pictures of the billboards accusing Loeffler and Perdue of betraying Trump.

Trump will remain leader of the wingnuts long enough to make an absolute nuisance for Joe Biden. And if not Trump, another shiny demagogue will step in to take his place. There's a big enough market for that sort of thing. Even if they never achieve national electoral victory, there's a good enough grift to be had in the red states. Meanwhile, the Lincoln Project Republicans have failed to show that there's any significant market for their brand of conservatism. They're the ones, not the wingnuts, who've been quitting the Republicans, and there probably isn't enough daylight between them and centrist Democrats for them to eke out a niche.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:20 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Trump seems once again to be floating the idea of not leaving on the 20th of January. Maybe he's hoping to claim it by adverse possession. Or maybe he's not eager to face a sheriff down in Florida with papers in his hands, come to throw him out of Mar A Lago. Who know which.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Something I noted recently: if Trump does not get the omnibus budget/covid relief bill by midnight today (12/23), then he can pocket veto it by simply sitting on it for ten days (not counting Sundays). Normally that would automatically make it law; but if Congress leaves session it's considered vetoed. Well, on Midnight of January 3rd the current Congress dissolves; and with it all outstanding bills are void, which would include this one that Trump would not quite have had for ten days yet. So not only does the Covid relief not happen, but the US Government is unfunded and shut down.

Why would he do this? Aside from 'he's Trump', he now says he wants $2000 checks and some other stuff cut from the relief bill that's attached to the omnibus budget bill. Or maybe he's just Trump, because it isn't as if he asked for any of this previously. We'll see.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Yup, he got it today (12/25). If he does what he does best, which is nothing, then the whole thing dies until January 20 at the earliest.

Oh, and happy whatever holiday you might happen to celebrate. Or all if them, if that's your thing.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:43 am 
He's just trolling at this point. Pardoning war criminals for the lulz.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:18 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
So, he finally signed the bill. Wouldn't it be nice if I wasn't sorta surprised? Oh, well; a whole lot of gratuitous grief just got avoided.

I wonder who gave him what for it?

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts