Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:28 pm 
Do rich people ever get jail time for lying about property valuations? This sounds like the type of white collar crime that usually gets plea bargained down to a fine. Not that I won't be glad to see Trump's assets seized, but have they got any more serious things on him?

Quote:
I wouldn't put anything past Mitch. But I just don't see the rank & file summoning the level of unreasonable hatred for Biden that they had for Obama. You don't understand how everything in America goes back to race.

This is the party that impeached Bill Clinton for lying about an affair. Biden's a Democrat. That's enough. Kamala Harris will do as a punching bag.

Plus the far right is having a serious break with reality, and there's always someone willing to peddle them conspiracy theories. As much as I would like to see them left in the cold, I think Mitch is more likely to pander to them while trying to convince the few moderates to ignore the crazy and that it's still safe to come along for the tax cuts and Jesus.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The same thing regarding plea bargains could be said of Federal tax evasion: but do recall what happened to Al Capone. Plea bargaining is at the discretion of the prosecutor; if they decide to throw the book at someone then they've got no recourse. And Trump has pretty much ensured that even if the New York prosecutors didn't want to throw the book at him earlier, they do now.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 am 
Good luck to New York's prosecutors then. Let's hope they're neither bribable nor blackmailable, and that they don't get complacent just because Trump's out of office. I hope they have dug up a lot of dirt on him, and that it's egregious enough that even other rich guys are like "Yeah, Trump pushed his luck too far".

I fully expect Trump to pardon himself and his family for all federal crimes before leaving office, and should he somehow neglect to do so, I have little confidence in a weak Biden administration in bringing charges, especially before the midterm elections.

I'm more interested in nailing people like Bill Barr to the wall, though. Without them, Trump was just a foolish rage Tweeter, and they shouldn't be allowed to just waltz into third or fourth careers as TV pundits or political consultants who still get taken seriously.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm 
I think the fact that people like Susan Collins held on to their seats and the Republican gained in the House has reassured McConnell that pandering to the base while moderates make occasional meaningless noises of concern is still a good strategy. All Republicans need is a slightly less personally obnoxious presidential candidate. They don't need to change anything else.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:44 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
For what it's worth, the New York DA that's going to be prosecuting Trump is one Cyrus Vance. He doesn't, and doesn't need to, give a damn about Trump or his party; and no one is hinting he needs money.

As for Moscow Mitch; could well be, though that might be modified slightly depending on the results in Georgia. Though if we see a split decision there, and given the passage of ranked choice voting in Alaska, Senator Murkowski might just become rather more powerful than she would have thought possible.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:04 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently the folks who bribe the professional Republicans let it be known that if the Trump administration didn't start the transition then they'd refuse to donate a penny to the Georgia special elections. One assumes Moscow Mitch was on the phone to Trump within the minute, telling him that unless he obeyed he'd find himself facing a unanimous vote from Congress to get on with it. So without actually admitting that Biden won or certifying the election in any way, the GSA is now grudgingly providing resources to the incoming administration.

Really, let's hear it for the Republican respect for the rule of law.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:17 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Oh, right. I've read that according to the permanent workers in the Census bureau, it will not be possible to release the numbers until January 25. Wouldn't that be interesting.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:00 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Color me amused: the magats are calling for a boycott of the special election in Georgia. That'll show 'em what happens when you let Trump lose despite all the Republican voter suppression and election fraud! Or something.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:41 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Weremensh wrote:
Color me amused: the magats are calling for a boycott of the special election in Georgia. That'll show 'em what happens when you let Trump lose despite all the Republican voter suppression and election fraud! Or something.

Oh please, oh please, oh please, oh please.....

Post Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:57 am 
Hey, crazy MAGA basket, can I pile more of these eggs into here?

Super delayed edit: Also can we enjoy the sight of Brian Kemp, a guy who is not above voter suppression shenanigans, telling Trump to get bent because his attempts at cheating are too shoddy?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:44 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I'm certainly finding it a bit odd that all of the Republican practitioners of voter suppression and election fraud that are turning Trump down are almost being hailed as profiles in courage for deciding that the cost/benefit ratio of going along with his coup attempt really doesn't do it for them.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:20 pm 
BTW when Trumps spiritual adviser gave her weird chanting sermon, (you know "strike, strike, i hear an abundance of rain..") was i the only one who thought, that it's daft to call angels from Africa and similar places to your aid, because in Trumps America, they sure will not get through customs.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:30 am 
Weremensh wrote:
I'm certainly finding it a bit odd that all of the Republican practitioners of voter suppression and election fraud that are turning Trump down are almost being hailed as profiles in courage for deciding that the cost/benefit ratio of going along with his coup attempt really doesn't do it for them.

While I'm sure they only reason they're rejecting Trump now is because his operation is too embarrassing to succeed, it does mean that after four long years we have finally discovered the point at which Republicans have at least some standards. It wasn't trying to collude with the Russians to manipulate an election, open nepotism, putting kids in cages, botching several natural disasters, trying to extort a foreign country into smearing a political opponent, getting goons to gas and bludgeon protesters for a photo op, or telling people to drink bleach in a major pandemic. It was trying to cheat too incompetently. Now that, the Republicans will not stand for.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:50 pm 
Passiflora wrote:
It was trying to cheat too incompetently. Now that, the Republicans will not stand for.

It's the one that threatens their own personal grasp on power and/or access to the same.

So, did you guys hear that Team Trump is now openly calling for martial law, suspending the Constitution, and overturning the election?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:23 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, for certain values of 'team Trump' that equals 'Flynn'. Though most Republicans had few problems with it except for the 'it wouldn't work' bit.

Idly amusing, if a bit grim: 23,000 newly 18 year old Georgians will be eligible to vote in January who were not eligible to vote in November. They skew heavily Democratic, and in November young voters turned out in numbers that were almost adequate (which, sadly, gives them the best rate in the country).

Meanwhile some thousands of Georgians have died, a crowd that skewed Republican because they tended to be rather older. So going into a special election that most everyone sees as tied, this kind of silliness could actually matter. Hell, the Democrats could take the Senate by the number of Republicans who died of Covid-19 infections. Which would rather serve the Republicans right, honestly.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts