Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:41 am 
Man, Bernie Sanders supporters are the worst. First, ragging on Elizabeth Warren for being a betrayer of all things progressive. Then slam her for not immediately endorsing Bernie Sanders.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:41 am 
Generally if a group of people suddenly feels more empowered (such as US progressives when they realized that Sanders is a force to be taken seriously), it brings the greatest idiots among them to the forefront.

I see it as, if you open the lid of the preassure cooker, things get messy, but in general it's not a good idea to wait until the cooker explodes either.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
There's also a group of them who think being deliberate jackasses is politically useful. There's something to be said for the idea on a micro level; folks forced to deal with you may well give you what you want to avoid being attacked. It doesn't scale up well though; anyone who can easily mechanically tune you out or socially marginalize you is not merely immune to your assault but highly likely to turn on you for it.

Sanders has been trying to have it both ways; encouraging them for the micro gains while pretending to be innocent of it on the macro level to avoid the repercussions. Clearly it hasn't been working out as he would have hoped.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:34 am 
I'm a bit disappointed in this primary, honestly. Out of all the people who ran, we had to end up with two septuagenarians, one a bog standard big donor drone with a tendency to incoherent rambling, and a progressive who does not seem to understand that politics consists of more than yelling at people about selling out. And it looks like Biden's winning. Sigh. OK, fine, Biden.

I have a bad feeling about this. Remember when Democrats thought Bush was the worst thing since fried cow turds? And then they ran Kerry because he looked electable? How well did that work?

Post Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:09 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, they were right about Bush, anyway. As for Biden? He probably wouldn't have gotten nominated but for that jackass Sanders (and a lot of help from Bloomberg). Still, it happened; and the Democrats are at least right that he won't a priori lose the Senate the way Sanders would. Hell, they now have a shot at Montana specifically because Sanders has lost.

Now the only question is how long Sanders will keep pretending he's got a shot. Hopefully his decision not to give a speech and go think it over indicates he's about to stop.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
The condescension towards Bernie supporters isn't necessary, and likely to cause them to WANT to stay home and that would be a disaster as we definitely need them to support Biden.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:04 am 
If they'd rather have four more years of Donald Trump because the Democratic Party establishment was condescending towards them, then they probably deserve Donald Trump.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:30 am 
I suppose most Bernie supporters, who are really into politics will in the end vote for Biden in the general election.

The danger i see more is their less politically active friends, who if they were pushing the democratic candidate in the weeks before the election would have been motivated to vote, but since they got messages full of caveats stay home, and politicall uninterested centrists, who don't bother about policies much, but figure "If not even all the democrats like the candidate, he's likely not much good".

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:22 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Kea wrote:
If they'd rather have four more years of Donald Trump because the Democratic Party establishment was condescending towards them, then they probably deserve Donald Trump.

I must admit, I took the comment somewhat personally since I would have preferred Sanders to Biden even though neither were my first choice.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:19 pm 
I suppose a lot comes down to what you exactly mean by Bernie supporters (or bros) in a particular comment.

A faction of Bernie supporters (i don't know how large they are, but they are loud) dream about a total takeover of the democratic party in one swift swoop. They had in their mind already conscripted all sort of people, who have kinda compatible policies, and feel betrayed and act pissed, when they for one reason or an other use different politics (Warren would be an example).

And now that they are about to loose that hill (a Bernie nomination), they don't withdraw their resources to more realistic goals (such as down ballot candiates) or at least hedge their bets and prepare to do so, when it's really over, but are adamant to die on that hill in a last hurrah in a scorched earth battle.

Are all Bernie supporters like that? No. Heck if i was a US citizen and in a state, where the primaries are not over yet, it would be more likely that i support Bernie then Biden, but i would do more research to get to a final decision.
Is Bernie stoking that behaviour? I don't know, i did not follow US politics in that detail, but based on my overall impression i have from him probably not.
Are there similiar annoying figures, who do their own scorched earth tactics on behalf of the establishment camp? Yes.
And has the democratic establishment a bad track record on being inclusive towards progressives, that make the sentiments of the scorched earth Bernie supporters understandable, even though i think they are acting irresponsible. Yes.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:02 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
'After Hitler, Us' is precedented, but the German Communists who tried it were all killed. If Sanders is serious about waiting for the New York primary, then all his supporters who would not rather see Trump reelected than to acknowledge that Sanders has lost need to openly and visibly break with him. Coddling his oversized ego and pretending it isn't over is an expense we can't afford right now.

Truthfully, were I a Democrat I'd be interested in Warren; unlike Sanders she could win the election and actually govern. She wouldn't even be a millstone around the neck of the Democratic Senate candidates the way Sanders is. But it's not to be, she lost and she's out. Sanders has lost and he's got to go.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:23 am 
IMHO Biden and Sanders should meet in a smoke filled room* and make a deal for Sanders to drop out, in exchange for some concessions, that he can then parade infront of his supporters (what also would make them more likely to vote for Biden, then if he just droped out quietly).

I don't know enough, to judge who is the obstacle to such a solution.

*by teleconference, because of corona

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Sanders is out, Biden is the nominee. At least assuming no one dies or otherwise gets seriously inconvenienced. I'm guessing Wisconsin was the last straw. Needless to say, Trump was properly serious about it: attacking Senator Warren and suggesting the Bernie Bros should join the GOP. Granted many of them never actually left the GOP and voted for Trump in the last election, but still. Ever graceful.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:07 am 
Sigh. Biden it is. Not that I was enthusiastic about Bernie, but really, Democrats? All these options and you chose the second-hand warmed over Obama nostalgia.

Biden's saving grace is that every area you can criticize him, Trump is the same or objectively worse. Geriatric? So is Trump. Rambles incoherently? See @RealDonaldTrump. Tendency to make up bizarre untrue stories? Ahahahaha. Sexual harasser? At least Biden didn't brag about it. Racially insensitive? Hooooboy. Corruption? PPFFFFfffffft.

So OK fine, Biden. The left wing of the Democrats have extracted some policy concessions out of him but I don't actually see him putting that much effort into enacting said policies. Is he even really enthusiastic about anything? And I don't see him really lasting more than one term. He's going to be a placeholder.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:55 am 
I suppose there is still some outside chance, that due to the sexual assault allegations, he gets replaced by some suprise candidate.

It would require the democratic party to get their ducks (or dark horses) in a row, before they execute that, and that i would see the biggest stumbling block for such a maneuver.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts