Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suppose it's kind of amusing to hear that Trump sent his economic people out to tell the Sunday talk shows that there isn't going to be a recession. Here we have folks who mostly don't have the training needed to do any actual economics, or who do but always get it wrong for pay, out there saying they'll stake their reputation that the good times will keep rolling. So of course everyone understood a recession is coming.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
While it's possible that the whole Greenland silliness is Trump's way of avoiding a trip to Denmark shortly before Obama (who would get lots of press getting a much better reception), one wonders if he's capable of thinking that far ahead. Perhaps he thinks there's some really egregious silliness he can get up to with the island itself, or he has some other reason to avoid Denmark just now. Hamlet's ghost, perhaps?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:38 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
There was a special election for two congresscritter districts in North Carolina today. The interesting one was the 9th; they had to redo it because the Republican was so blatant about his felonies that nobody could be seen to let him get away with it.

It looks, pending more discovered felonies, that he's finally won by two points. There will probably be some Republican crowing about that; but after throwing all their big guns (including Trump) and vast sums of money into this, the GOP under-performed the district by 6 points and under-performed Trump three years ago by 10. This probably isn't going to make too many Republican congresscritters decide to stay and seek another term in the hopes they won't be the minority party.

And yes, NOAA and the hurricane. Anyone think I'm surprised the Republicans set ordinary Americans up to be killed through their corruption and incompetence again? Please.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:51 am 
North Carolina Republicans are still trying to get away with gerrymandering shenanigans after being exhaustively slapped down by their state supreme court. No matter how many times they have their arses handed to them, they will use every dirty trick to hang on.

And is it just me, or has Trump become even more erratic of late? There's been so much crazy that I've lost track. At least he got rid of Bolton, a broken clock being right twice a day and all that. I can't wait to see the next chucklebutt he hires off Fox News.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:29 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Apparently the House needs to sign off on Trump continuing to misdirect billions of dollars to the farmers he's bribing not to desert him for their problems which he's caused. (inhale) They don't seem inclined to do that. Which means the payoffs to the soy farmers may soon come to an end, just as the trade war with China has gotten to where there will be no meaningful soy purchases unless Trump openly loses. That may be fun.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:06 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suppose I'm not surprised, but still it's amusing just how spineless the Republicans on the Hill are these days. Trump is ripping off the military and taking pork from their districts and states in order to pay for a few feet of border wall, and none of them is saying 'boo'. Granted they've been ripping off the military themselves since Dubya (actually, since Ronnie); but letting pork barrel projects go like that? That's noteworthy.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:56 pm 
The thing about the trade war is that the crew of economically illiterate idiots in the White House don't even understand what they want to get out of it. They keep moving the goal posts and I think China's gotten fed up with them and is going to wait Trump out. Between Xi and Trump, only one has term limits.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Also between the two, only one has done the 'You're in a trade war, what do you do now for dummies' level of policy responses. China has countered the economic damage by giving money to the workers (VAT tax cuts) and spending on infrastructure, the US has pretty much just made it worse by pissing away all the stimulus spending on the parasitic hyper rich though pointless tax cuts. And now, of course, the price of oil is going up. Good times.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:53 am 
Eh, China's infrastructure spending is massively debt-financed and has been for years, it makes the subprime mortgage crisis look like amateur glee club. It's an open question when that particular spigot is going to run out of juice - so far they've kept it open out of sheer authoritarian will. But their economy is slowing down, hence the uptick in nationalistic paranoia. Not that this changes the picture for Trump, but the Chinese are white-knuckling this, not breezily laughing it off.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
In a left handed way I'm actually sort of impressed. Trump had his minions send the official lies about his crimes involving Ukraine to their accomplices in Congress by email so they're all on the same page; and in the process the minions CC'd the Democrats. This one could actually have come from Despicable Me. I tend to doubt Moscow Mitch is amused.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 am 
Remember, Paul Manafort got caught because he didn't know how to PDF? Yeah. This is about par for the course for this crew.

Anyway, impeachment! Do you think they're actually going to go for it or is Nancy Pelosi just trying to appease her base while running down the clock until the election? Trump's gone from "I didn't do nuffin!" to "Maybe I did it but it was fine!" in record speed, but I dare not get my hopes up. Half the country is going to come away with nothing sticking in their heads besides "Ukraine something something Biden corruption".

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I'd suspect we will see articles of impeachment; the question now is more whether she can keep it narrowly focused on his crimes involving Ukraine or if it becomes more broadly based. Besides, Biden's only going to stick with the traitors in Trump's base; the rest will more or less get 'stole 400 million bucks to get Ukraine to help him rig his own election'. I'm just waiting to see how many reporters will connect the dots and add 'While setting Ukraine up to take the fall for it in order to make his master Putin happy, so who do you think had the idea anyway?'.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:19 pm 
The Senate Republicans aren't going to vote to remove Trump unless most of his base abandon him and I don't see that happening while they live in Sean Hannity's Magical Alternate Timeline. It doesn't have to be convincing, it just has to give them enough semi-plausible talking points to keep doubt at bay, or to confuse them into thinking "Well both sides are dirty but I still dislike the Democrats more".

It seems more likely that the Democrats plan is to force the Republicans to defend a crook, in the hopes of getting their own turnout up while depressing theirs. How well could that work against a party incapable of shame?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The Republicans make up an electing majority in rather little of this country, really. Strip away the folks who usually vote Republican but left the party because they don't want to admit they're 'those people' and they get hammered. Since that crowd don't live in that bubble, and they have some shame, they'll be reachable. And yes, something like this would help the Democrats keep the morons who would otherwise let Trump win by voting for some nonentity third party candidate because the Democrat isn't perfect on the ranch.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:41 pm 
Trump won the electoral college with 3 million fewer votes. It's possible for him to pull off the same hat trick again. I think what this will do is motivate both the Democratic base and the MAGA Witch-hunt people but what with the voter disenfranchisement and deliberately crappy voting stations in blue neighborhoods, it's going to be too close to call again.

A third party candidate could screw it up again if Biden is the nominee, he's this election's uninspiring insider. He has a long messy record with plenty of smear material. The few swayable voters don't include many middle of the road moderates. There are lots of weirdos with unconventional understandings of politics who last time around thought Trump and Bernie were comparably good alternatives to Clinton.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts