Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright," Felix nods. "Thanks."

With that settled, Felix waits for the designated time to come so the group can head out to the crypt.

Last edited by Kajin on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady had been considering what Piper had said at the last stop, and turns to her now. "Piper, who else is free of destiny?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:36 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
(OOG: Remind me who Vanire is again?)

"Where I come from, ghosts and magic have always been imaginative fabrications, so you'll forgive me if I fail to see the difference." Roger looks like he wants to continue, but decides against it in the end.

To kill time, Roger asks Vanire if there's a library, and if he may be allowed to peruse some of the books?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:20 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
A thought occurs to Felix as he waits and passes the time. He goes to Preceptor Vanire.

"Would you be willing to accept a number of Terrans as initiates into the Pandion order of Knights? We can arm and armor them ourselves so you wouldn't have to. It might be a good way to build up the relationship between our peoples."

Felix continues.

"I've got a lot of people to wake up, mind you, and it probably wouldn't hurt if we were to try and integrate some of our people into Cimmuran society. Use Terran skills to find jobs or open businesses and support themselves through the local economy rather than relying on the colony's farms to sustain themselves. Maybe even send some of the money they earn back to the colony to support it's growth, if we go the route of opening businesses."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 am 
Weremensh wrote:
"Piper, who else is free of destiny?"

"Only Anakha," says Piper, "whose coming has been foretold for thousands of years."

Vanire gives Roger free reign to peruse the Pandion's library, though honestly calling it a 'library' would be generous. It's more like a single shelf of books.

In response to Felix' questions, he says "There's nothing preventing people of any race from joining any of the Knightly Orders. However, one of the first requirements for being a Church Knight is that one must be a member of the Elene Church, and preferably raised in the Church from birth; at the very least, intensely familiar with the Church and prepared to forswear all other loyalties in the name of protecting the Church and its people first and foremost. Since none of your people are worshippers of the Elene god, it will doubtless take some time before any of your people join any of the Orders of Church Knights. But if you were to introduce some honest traders and merchants into society, then I would certainly be interested to see what they had for sale."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:14 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Terran society has freedom of religion, having been sourced from a large number of gods and religions from all around the world we came from. Finding someone who would dedicate themselves to the Elene church would likely not be overly difficult. I'll talk with Ortzel about some missionaries and religious texts once we make him Arch-Prelate."

Felix nods to himself.

"As for mercantile activities, I have a number of initial ideas to start with. A hospital to treat the sick and injured. A couple of bath houses. A luxury private bath for the rich and elite. A low cost public bath for the lower class. A smithy would be a good idea, now that we have a source of iron to supply it. Terran manufacturing techniques are quite excellent, so we could supply you with high quality weapons and armors. Possibly at lower cost than locally made, even. Once we acquire other sources of raw materials we could open up general stores selling other high quality goods as well. Someone made mention of an ice cream booth, I believe, which would probably go over quite well. A frozen candy made of ice and milk, it is."

Felix thinks for a moment.

"I'd also like to take a crack at indoor plumbing and sewage systems." Felix sniffs the air. "Human waste is a huge vector for disease, so installing that in the city would improve the overall health and lives of the citizenry by more than you could imagine. The trouble would be getting someone to cover the cost for it, though. In my world the local governments covered the cost of sewage systems and I doubt the Primate would field any request for funding from us. We could maybe convince rich nobles to buy indoor plumbing off of us, but providing it to the public at large would be a costly and herculean effort."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
CCC wrote:
Weremensh wrote:
"Piper, who else is free of destiny?"

"Only Anakha," says Piper, "whose coming has been foretold for thousands of years."

He looks at her for a second. "Not you, not the gods, only Anakha. All right, who...will Anakha be?"

Listening to Felix is making Arkady a trifle annoyed, but he never really thought of him as all that pious in the first place. Besides, he knows full well that if there's real power to be had then there will always be folks wanting to get it. He makes a mental note to have a chat about this with Father Brown and any other clergy who might have been awoken (presumably for their other skills) when he gets back to the ship.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:15 pm 
Roger begins leafing through the books on the shelf.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:59 pm 
Vanire nods. "If you're looking to build a shop in Cimmura itself, then you would need a trader's license and you'd need to buy the land - which are both easy enough to do usually, if you have the coin, but represent points where the Primate or his lackeys can make things remarkably difficult for you if he decides to. It might be easier, for the moment, from a bureaucratic point of view, to simply turn up with a load of goods and offer them for sale in the Town Square; that at least requires no permits. I'm not so sure about this whole 'indoor plumbing' idea, though; the entire point of an outhouse is to be as far from the house as reasonable, to reduce the spread of disease."

Weremensh wrote:
He looks at her for a second. "Not you, not the gods, only Anakha. All right, who...will Anakha be?"

"Not me," agrees Piper, "not the gods, only Anakha. It's a title, not a name. It means 'the One who Has No Destiny'. And it's remarkably difficult to make predictions about someone whose entire nature is to be immune to prediction."

Roger finds a large, illuminated copy of the Elene holy book, three volumes of prayers, two books on tactics, and one on Elene history.

His tablet chimes again, with a message from Dr. Vanderbilt. Apparently the newly awakened lady has been found and bought to the infirmary.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"A trader's license? That'll hamper things somewhat, if the Primate's faction catches wind of what we're doing. We can definitely operate out of a cart, though."

Felix nods.

"Indoor plumbing is complicated. Basically it uses a series of water filled pipes and receptacles to carry the waste away from town towards a centralized location where it is destroyed so it cannot cause any harm. Outhouses run the risk of leaching into the water supply and attracting insects and vermin that also act as vectors for disease, so indoor plumbing is a definite step up. The ship has indoor plumbing systems built into it, as an example."

Felix peers at Piper.

"Is it possible this... Anakha... could be a Terran? I mean we're already free of Destiny. Why are we free of Destiny, anyway?"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:25 am 
Roger acknowledges the message from Vanderbilt.

He peruses both the holy book and the history book.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:04 pm 
Piper contemplates the question. "It might be because you were born before Destiny?" she speculates. "And no, Anakha can't be a Terran. Anakha's free of destiny, but Anakha's parents aren't."

Roger finds that the holy book is big on illuminated capitals and is as much a work of art as a book; the elaborate letters make it hard to read, though they are beautifully decorated. There is no index; if Roger wants to read a passage from it, that passage will need to be random by necessity. The history book, on the other hand, holds a more workmanlike script, far easier to read, and it has an index. Would he like to look up any particular period of history, or just open the book at random?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Hmm... Okay." Felix says, lost in thought. "Thanks."

His curiosities are largely sated, so he goes back to waiting for the time to head to the crypt.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm 
Roger decides to focus on the various wars with Zemoch.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
After hearing Piper's explanation, Arkady chuckles. "A God born of man to change the fate of man. That is sounding familiar." He makes a waving away motion. "I understand, Anakha is not supposed to be divine. But someone who can change, perhaps decide, the fate of the world and all it's powers? That's no ordinary mortal, now is it?"

He then turns to Vanire. "There is a servant of Azash out there; the Seeker. It is all but impossible to kill, and may turn up at any time. If we can catch it, or an insect like it, we might find a cure for it's slaves; but for now I am not sure what your men might be doing to stop it. Though exorcism might, just might, be working."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG