Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm 
I actually have that pulled up for reference! I am starting to lean farther into farm sciences, which would include convincing both flora and fauna to some light domestication.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
We won't be spending a lot of time at the ship, unfortunately. Various nefarious plots have seen us running around like headless chickens trying to put out fires. I haven't even been able to do any repair work on the ship in a long time even though that's what I'm best at.

Being able to domesticate some animals would be nice, though. I had some similar thoughts a long time ago trying to raise some Cockatrice babies but decided against it. Would be great if we could capture some of them or a Manticore or some other magical beast so you could tame it. We did successfully tame some murderous blood bees.

Last edited by Kajin on Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:33 pm 
Hey man, talking to the locals is super important to agriculture; they've had a biiiit of a head start on figuring out what does what, and comparing notes is always good :)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
We've studied local farming techniques and they're quite primitive, though they have tons of strange and exotic fruits and vegetables that we've never encountered before so we do have a bit to learn from them.

Our growing techniques are definitely superior. We haven't had the chance to examine their livestock yet but once we get our embryos out of cold storage and growing in the vats our livestock will likely be superior. Maybe getting a ranch up and running could be your first task while you wait for us to stop by the ship and pick you up?

Last edited by Kajin on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm 
Sounds like a plan! Here she is; I haven't done Fate core in a while, but I think I got everything but the guest stars.

~

Dr Samantha Redgrave, PhD in Agricultural Sciences

1. Sam grew up on the farm her family had been running for generations. Though she could never spend her life here - a fate she was saved from when her little brother happily fell in love with the farm the same way their father had - the life she had there was still meditative and comforting. There was something soothing about the methodical work and the animals who followed her around in hopes she would spawn a treat. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Samantha's childhood friends were all farm animals, while the humans she spent time with were picked based on their patience in listening to her talk about those animals.

Aspect: Animals Are Better Than People
Aspect: Down and Dirty

2. Spending her entire like up until 18 splitting her free time between the family farm and volunteering at the local vet who serviced the area's farm, Samantha felt that the obvious next step was to go to college for Agricultural Sciences, her long term plan to find a way to help the farms she grew up around thrive into the future. Her continued lack of human social life was largely due to her loosing hours to the library, reading everything from farm reports to proposals for more efficient seeding techniques. Childhood nights spent awake helping animals through their labor prepared her for college all-nighters, and it wasn't long till she perfected the timing of caffeine throughout the next day so she'd be bright-eyed and bushy tailed till the moment she could pass out.

Aspect: Hyperfocus
Aspect: Burn the Midnight Oil

3. It took years of pouring over literal piles of documents, long enough to get through most of her PhD, but Samantha discovered and presented the perfect pest control. The flower (most of the base was various rose varieties) produced a pheromone that attracted all forms of insects, pollenator and pest alike. However, if a pest happened to munch on one of those shortly before or after ingesting a supplement easily added to watering systems, it's systems would shut down. The flower was surprisingly hardy, considering the fragility of some of the species it was spliced from, and the concentrations weren't enough to affect anything bigger than a harvest mouse.

Aspect: Make It Work
Aspect: I Didn't Of That

Skills

5- Science
4- Academics, Survival
3- Investigation, Mysteries, Resolve
2- Weapons (Farming Implements), Guns, Alertness, Drive
1- Deceit, Burglary, Rapport, Sleight of Hand, Empathy

Stunts

Psychic
Defensive Driving
Scientific Genius (Agricultural Sciences)
Bounce Back
Artificer

Last edited by faewinds on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
You don't need to take Science twice. It's a very broad skill that can cover a wide range of topics. Between it and Survival you've pretty much got Agriculture and Animal Husbandry covered, I imagine. Since your Empathy skill is so low and since you want to focus on Animal Husbandry I'd suggest dropping the Cold Read stunt and taking Scientific Genius (Biology) (Animal Husbandry).

I think you can also take a number of aspects and stunts equal to what we're capable of taking, meaning you're allowed 6 more aspects and 1 more stunt. I think. CCC is that right?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:50 pm 
Thanks, I think I fixed it!

Oooooof, I had a Time figuring these ones out, this is going to be interesting

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
With Scientific Genius you take an expertise you get +1 for rolls on and a specialization within that expertise that you get +2 to rolls and increased research speed on. That's why I suggested Biology and Animal Husbandry to suit your character. Though you don't have to pick those, you still need to list an expertise and specialization to go with your Scientific Genius.

Having a lot of aspects is a good thing as it increases the max number of fate points you get each time there's a refresh. Six aspects gets you six fate points. Twelve aspects gets you twelve fate points. It's worth the time investment coming up with aspects for your character, believe me.

Those Psychic and Artificer stunts will likely be a big help. Arkady has used his Psychic stunt a lot and it couldn't hurt to have a second Artificer around helping me build my magic rifle.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:41 pm 
Cool! I was trying to go for a jack of all (farming related) trades, because growing up/working on a farm means needing a general knowledge of how to do everything

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:22 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Cool. I don't think you'll need the Resources skill. The ship and colony has us covered as far as materials, products, and work spaces are concerned (barring Arcane Libraries and Workshops, of course) and you're not going to have any of the local currency to your name when you wake up.

Something to consider.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 pm 
Alertness, then, I think.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Would you like to do some guest starring aspects or do you want to wake up with little to no connection to our characters?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:01 pm 
Maybe? Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how I would guest star for you guys.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It's not impossible to have some connection to a character from our time on Earth. Felix, Arkady and Nate all knew each other from before the colony left Earth and Felix's sidekick Theresa has history with Felix from that same time as well.

Our characters are all being woken up by some mysterious outside force. It's possible that force is selecting a group of individuals that know each other for maximum teamwork effectiveness or something?

EDIT
Felix and Samantha both spent a lot of time going to good universities. Maybe they went to the same one? Felix and Nate also spent a fair bit of time fighting a mysterious worldwide organization that sought to control the world. Maybe Samantha got involved with that, somehow?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:58 am 
4. Samantha liked the library at this school, and as the students had the vaguest excuse to Be Extremely Sober And Not At All Intoxicated, the building was even more blessedly quiet than usual.

Or, it had been.

The kind of punk that was sticking it to the man in brand new Doc Martens and parents paying all their expenses from behind a white picket fence in suburbia was not only deeply influenced by one or more illicit substances, but was also giving the engineering major who she'd quietly existed near a few times trouble because the man sitting quietly on his laptop refused to magically make a keg appear.

The look of stunned horror as Samantha, having walked up, started explaining to the faux-punk the intricacies of breeding a stallion in excruciating detail more than made up for the disturbance to her study time, especially since it had had it's intended effect and the engineering major quietly made his escape.

If they shared a table in the library after that, well. They had an understanding.

Aspect: Oh, Look, A Wild Distraction!
Aspect: Did You Say Horse Fleshlight Or Am I Going Insane?

4. They had about a month left before going into cryo freeze, and the pseudo barracks they had been set up in to feign a sense of organization were anything but. Through all the hubbub, Sam concentrated on avoiding the woman who seemed to think that, as a many-times published Doctor in Agricultural Studies, her job on the new planet was to start a Jamba Juice. Skirting around corners and ducking into an alley behind one of the enormous structures, Samantha skidded to a stop.

There was a beautiful garden, and the most green she'd seen outside a lab since she'd been convinced to go on this mission. Flowers dotted the little alcove, and Sam found herself easily falling into conversation about gardening with the woman working on it, who introduced herself as Irina.

They met there almost every day for the rest of the week, bonding over the need for something to do to distract from the impending freeze and lamenting the flowers that might not make it on the trip due to their "non essential" nature.

And if a packet of chamomile tea made it's way to Irina's bunk at about the same time as chamomile seeds were added to the seed library, well. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Aspect: Green Thumb
Aspect: Quiet Softy

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG