Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am 
In literary terms, the Seeker's puppets are supposed to contain elements of the concept of the Juggernaut - that is to say, they are very hard to stop as long as they actually still have physical, working limbs. Alone, or in small numbers, they're not a problem - but an army of them, working together, should be a very different story.

Consider Boromir's last stand in Lord of the Rings - when orcs just keep coming, and coming, and coming, and he's lethally wounded yet he just keeps getting up again, and again, and again, and again... this is pretty much an entire army of Boromirs. Sure, Arkady's killing a whole lot of soldiers (as defined by his Guns skill and die roll, and the fact that he managed to gain a few shifts against the invading army's constant not-even-dodging target of +0) but there's a lot more and they just keep coming, ignoring the ones that they're trampling into the ground as they continue to charge.

...I guess that makes this more cinematic than realistic.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:26 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Far be it from me to get in the way of a good story.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Anyone got any plans or strategies beyond massive amounts of Dakka? I'm thinking of combining flammable pitch with incendiary grenades to create a barrier of flame at the base of the castle walls.

Also, the smoke is is toxic to humans and induces vomiting. Are we seeing any sort of reaction to the smoke or are they ignoring it like they ignored my stun grenades?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:11 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, we could just get rid of the planks and/or ladders to keep them from the walls. They wouldn't be able to replace them. Frankly, at this point we could just wait a few days and they'd all collapse of thirst; but unfortunately we really don't have that kind of time.

Of course, they're not zombies. If we break the scaling supplies then we can watch most of them bleed out and die over the next half an hour to an hour; they're already badly wounded and will do nothing about it. Dealing with what's left should be a fairly trivial task.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:56 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm assuming they're going to stop jumping on my grenades now that the Seeker is gone, which hopefully means I can shrapnel and bleed out scores of them with each shot.

We should probably collect multiple barrels of those herbs in case the Seeker attacks the colony.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:36 am 
Kajin wrote:
Also, the smoke is is toxic to humans and induces vomiting. Are we seeing any sort of reaction to the smoke or are they ignoring it like they ignored my stun grenades?

Not yet, but then again they've only been in the smoke for one round. It takes a little longer than that to have an effect on mammals.

Kajin wrote:
We should probably collect multiple barrels of those herbs in case the Seeker attacks the colony.

The herbs are not rare - not in small quantities, at least - but a continuous supply of multiple barrels worth will probably (short of Piper pulling shenanigans again) require growing them in the Ship's few hydroponics bays.

Also, in the interests of moving the story along, I think I'm going to make a few assumptions about Nate's actions this round.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:52 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It just occurred to me how Arkady can do a better job of being himself. And I think I can safely say that wood planks don't care what a seeker wants.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:03 am 
Weremensh wrote:
It just occurred to me how Arkady can do a better job of being himself. And I think I can safely say that wood planks don't care what a seeker wants.

Wooden planks don't care in the least. Let me adjust to take this into account, as I had posted before seeing your edit...

Okay, adjusted.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:01 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Hopefully I don't need a fate point for incendiary grenades. I'll spend one if I have to, though.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:10 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
He might also consider telling the folks on the wall with him to just drop rocks on the attackers; presumably there's some up there, and a 25-50 kilo rock would shatter the planks pretty easily.

Just in passing, you might want to shoot the attacking troops in the head with the grenades. Assuming it's what he's using, all of the 35-40mm high explosive rifle type grenades have impact fuses rather than timed. It's not like one of them would be able to jump on another's head before it went off.

Edit: Did the locals take the usual medieval precaution of stocking rocks on the walls, or would it require a fate point to have a stockpile of suitable stone on hand (piled up against repair work or some such)?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:12 am 
No need for a FATE point for incendiary grenades. (You could get a similar effect by having the soldiers throw lit torches over the side, and they have a number of torches that they can light).

Weremensh wrote:
Edit: Did the locals take the usual medieval precaution of stocking rocks on the walls, or would it require a fate point to have a stockpile of suitable stone on hand (piled up against repair work or some such)?

They knew that the invading army was coming, they just didn't know when, so there was time to make plans. They have rocks ready to drop (though they seem to prefer to wait until there are people actually on the ladders before dropping rocks on their heads).

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:18 pm 
I'll continue to assume that Nate is firing into the invading army until Balthazar returns or the battle stops, whichever comes first.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The attackers are climbing the ladders, and no one is dropping rocks down said ladders?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
They won't need to with Felix and Theresa on the case, I should imagine.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:32 pm 
They are, but there are so few soldiers who have managed to reach the ladders (mainly due to Arkady, Felix and Theresa's efforts) that the casualties inflicted by falling rocks in that round were negligible - not because of a lack of enthusiasm in dropping rocks, but rather because of a lack of targets on which to drop said rocks.

This can be expected to change in the near future.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG