Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:19 am 
The Count frowns, puzzled. "What does women in lakes throwing swords at people's heads have to do with royalty?" he asks, mystified.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It's an old Terran legend. Another one involves pulling the same sword out of a stone to become king. It's really quite silly."

Post Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "Yes, most of us are Terrans. It is our settlement in the Fangorn forest; we are looking for opportunities to trade and for a magic item to be used with a healing spell. Sir Ulath is with us because his order is interested in this healing spell too."

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:01 am 
The Count stares a moment before bursting into laughter. "So - I just told you about your own settlement? My goodness. But - you clearly have a rich oral history of your own." He finds an empty journal, a quill, and an inkwell. "Would you mind sharing some of those stories, perhaps?"

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:02 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady grins. "How about how we came to be in Fangorn Forest?" He then proceeds to tell the story of the trip to this world, as best he knows it. Though he does leave unmentioned the prospect that war could have been the doom they were fleeing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Since we've talked about it a lot, how about we also go over the legend of King Arthur?" Felix laughs.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:26 am 
"Oh, please do!" The Count places a blank page over the page he'd just finished writing down the story Arkady had told him on, turns the page, and re-inks his quill. "This is a truly fascinating series of legends! So imaginative, so unlike any I've heard before, yet with such a clear moral."

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:54 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks curious. "Clear moral?"

Knowing very little about the Kind Arthur stories except that Lancelot was a later French addition to them (courtesy of the BBC), he leaves that little chore to someone else.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:14 am 
"Why, yes!" says the Count. "You create this huge enterprise, containing vastly over-exaggerated amounts of resources, and then it fails on the basis of one tiny part of the whole going wrong, and everyone has to get rescued by some mysterious unknown saviour at the cost of all your food. The biggest enterprises depend on the smallest details, and failing to secure those details can cost you significantly in the end! What moral could be clearer?"

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "You have a point. 'For the want of a nail a shoe was lost, for the want of a shoe a horse was lost, for the want of a horse a rider was lost, for the want of a rider a message was lost, for the want of a message a battle was lost, for the want of a battle a kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a horseshoe nail.' Or so I am hearing."

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix recounts the legend of King Arthur and the Sword in the Stone for the Count, now that Arkady's tale is complete.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 am 
"Brilliant!" says the Count, on hearing Arkady's proverb."Clear, succinct, and relatable."

The Count dutifully takes down the Arthurian legend as Felix recounts it, and it's clear that he will happily write down legends as long as people are willing to tell them. "Wonderful! Much more relatable than the other story. This Merlin - he was part Styric, wasn't he?"

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:34 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shakes his head. "My lord, why don't you visit Fangorn Forest? You can see our starship for yourself, and take down all the stories you want."

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"He can be part Styric if you want him to be. The Arthurian legend is one that's been told and retold throughout Terran history and the details of it have proven malleable with time."

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:50 am 
"No, no, no, no, no, I can't go about changing the legends myself. That goes entirely against the point of keeping a geographically indexed chronicle of legends and tales! I merely record them, as I hear them."

He smiles at Arkady's invitation. "I would love to visit your mysteriously appearing city at some point. Unfortunately, I will likely be unable to leave my castle for some time, as I must ensure that my sister is properly secured and cannot cause any further trouble. Would it be possible, in the meantime, to send one of the villagers in my stead? None of them can write, but I do know a young fellow with a truly prodigious memory for stories and tales..."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG