Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Does our land border the ocean? We could build a dock and spend a fate point to say there are oil reserves off the coast out of the way of any maritime routes.

Could I spend a fate point to say we have a point where we're connected to the sea?

A couple weeks of downtime to begin tapping an oil reserve would be an even exchange with dastardly plots. Would let us move and respond even faster and give us near unlimited power reserves.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm 
You're nowhere near the sea - if you had been, you could have taken a ship around the coast to Rendor, so I don't think that's something you can get even with a FATE point. However, not all oil reserves are oceanic in nature.

It will take some time to get an oil refinery up and running (amazingly, that was the one thing that no-one back on Earth thought you'd need, as a lifeless planet would have no oil reserves - nonetheless, any competent Engineer can figure out how to build one out of the spare parts in storage, so it's really just a matter of time) and, due to the sheer utility of planes, I think I'm going to ask for not one but two FATE points as the cost of finding a large oil resource within a day's walk of the Ship (along with a day spent exploring with suitable geological tools to find it).

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The reserve doesn't need to be huge, just large enough that various pockets of it would be enough to last us until we're capable of negotiating on even ground with other nations.

But yeah I'd spring for two fate points and two days of active searching around the ship.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:29 pm 
We're bordering a swamp. It would be easy enough to say that Nate spotted an oil seep while out wandering. And refining oil, at least in small batches is fairly easy, needing only a large pressure vessel and a good heat source. I would, however still recommend setting up a biomass fed fuel synthesizer, since we can run it off everything from coal to wood to peat from the swamp, and we could save a spare FATE point.

As for aircraft, planes are nice, but an autogyro would be much better.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I was thinking planes for real long distance mass cargo transport and, should we really need to, the dropping of ordnance on enemy fortifications and armies.

Helicopters could handle everything else we need, sky related. Those autogyros look neat, though.

Post Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:12 pm 
If we're talking the kind of planes I think you mean, it's probably going to be awhile before we can get that size of bird in the air. We probably have all the parts, but I would be very surprised if everything was not "some assembly required". What we'll be able to get quickly is more likely going to be small, lightweight single or double seaters with a fabric fuselage stretched over a bolted together airframe. Helicopters are likely to be the same way, so no hueys for us. At least, not right away.

I like autogyros because they are simpler and easier to maintain then a helicopter, but can take off and land in a far shorter distance then a plane. Very useful in places where runways are at a premium.

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:29 pm 
A biofuel plant will actually be a lot simpler and more straightforward for you to set up, simply because there is a disassembled biofuel plant in storage. Plus, you wouldn't need to spend any FATE points on finding oil. (The downside is, putting all that biomatter into the plant instead of into the compost heap will force David to redo all his spreadsheets - again. I wouldn't worry too much, I think he actually enjoys redoing his spreadsheets.)

And yes, all you'd be able to get away with at first is small, lightweight craft, just about big enough for four people if you really squeeze. (The big stuff requires a fair amount of assembly, and also dedicated pilots, and presumably a market on the other end that's willing to trade with someone who owns a flying machine, as opposed to burning the pilot at the stake).

Oh, and Dodger? What's this PRISM that you're trying to build?

Post Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:24 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
CCC wrote:

Oh, and Dodger? What's this PRISM that you're trying to build?
He just means the audio surveillance program that Arkady requested. PRISM was one of the NSA surveillance programs. I thought it was the cell phone metadata program, but it appears to be a different one than I thought.

Post Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:48 am 
Ohhhhh, right. You've got the ability to search for a given spoken word - practically anything else will require speech-to-text conversion, which will require spending a very long time transcribing spoken passages. Unless you can think of some way to bypass that?

(Getting Sir Bevier to transcribe what's said by people in the Palace will help, but it'll be a while until you have enough transcription data to do anything with it).

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Alright, so what do we want to do now? I was thinking sending crews on dirt bikes out to search for Sir Sparhawk and Lady Sephrenia and aid them in their investigations.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 pm 
Both Nate and Theresa have Pilot as a skill. If we follow the roads we could probably find them in a few days.

Also, this Blue Rose sounds like it could be a pretty powerful energy source. It might be worth looking into as a means of powering the colony. Also, wern't Sparhawk and Sephrenia looking for magical artifacts?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The colony has high density power sources in storage; trying to tap the power of some of the local gods for electricity seems a bit foolhardy. That's before considering how much of a pain in the butt it would be to secure it from locals who want to use it themselves (especially local archmages).

Mind you, if we find ourselves on the wrong side of an avatar of the divine, it is supposed to be handy to have around.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:56 pm 
Asking either Zalasbra or Piper will quickly get you the information that the Blue Rose is more than sufficient to power Sephrenia's healing spell. If, of course, the rings that allow it to be used safely can be found.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:05 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Can the characters read the local language?

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:15 am 
Any Terran capable of speaking a language can read and write that language. (This doesn't always hold for the locals, universal literacy not being present yet on this world).

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG