Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm 
We'll start with an "ideal" scenario. Time radiates away from an object, much like heat does, with direct proportion to how much it has left, and the speed of time it observes is proportional to how much time it has. This leads to two fundamental equations of Timeless Space, which are surprisingly accurate to what's established in the comic:

dt/dT=m/M
dm/dt=-km

Where m is the amount of time an observer/object has, and k is a proportionality constant that increases with surface area.

Thoughts?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:48 am 
It's been a long time since I had a physics class... But I'm interested in this discussion.

This may be off topic, but a few years ago, I read the book, "7 Brief Lessons on Physics" and the author said without heat, there wouldn't be time in a sense.

Post Posted: Thu May 03, 2018 1:47 am 
randomlanguage wrote:
It's been a long time since I had a physics class... But I'm interested in this discussion.

This may be off topic, but a few years ago, I read the book, "7 Brief Lessons on Physics" and the author said without heat, there wouldn't be time in a sense.

That sounds right. No heat=no molecular motion. None. All matter frozen into an unmoving state. Like a person/object frozen in "the long gray".
It just seems that in Timeless Space, the time radiates much faster, and with no side effects, than heat would. If heat were radiating, conducting, or convecting, as rapidly as time seems to, the side effects would be obvious, and very noticeable.
BRRRRRR for example :D

But this is a very interesting topic. I'll be fascinated to see where it leads...

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 am 
RamenChef wrote:
We'll start with an "ideal" scenario. Time radiates away from an object, much like heat does, with direct proportion to how much it has left, and the speed of time it observes is proportional to how much time it has. This leads to two fundamental equations of Timeless Space, which are surprisingly accurate to what's established in the comic:

dt/dT=m/M
dm/dt=-km

Where m is the amount of time an observer/object has, and k is a proportionality constant that increases with surface area.

Thoughts?

I want the people who debate the accuracy on the reactions forum to explore this topic. I'm interested, but not knowledgeable.

I will illustrate this by asking what T and t mean.
Thanks!

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am 
Dilvish wrote:
randomlanguage wrote:

That sounds right. No heat=no molecular motion. None. All matter frozen into an unmoving state. Like a person/object frozen in "the long gray".
It just seems that in Timeless Space, the time radiates much faster, and with no side effects, than heat would. If heat were radiating, conducting, or convecting, as rapidly as time seems to, the side effects would be obvious, and very noticeable.
BRRRRRR for example :D

"That sounds right". Let me just take a minute to explain why that makes no sense at all. You can't make heat radiate away faster without altering several physical constants, which would have a massive impact on the way a system works. An object with no heat would still be mobile and would gain heat as soon as anything happens to it (even falling a few feet through a gravity well). And lastly, you cannot radiate away all of the heat on an object without side effects. Period.

That said, time spreading like heat is able to account for timelines being stronger when grouped and rescuing a timeline (including the resulting timeline being weaker).

randomlanguage wrote:
RamenChef wrote:

dt/dT=m/M
dm/dt=-km

Thoughts?

I want the people who debate the accuracy on the reactions forum to explore this topic. I'm interested, but not knowledgeable.

I will illustrate this by asking what T and t mean.
Thanks!

t and T are the respective elapsed times of the two observers.

Post Posted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:55 pm 
I'm currently readingFrom Eternity to Here: the worst for the ultimate theory of time, and I found myself reasoning this way:
Speaking about the cosmic background radiation, he says
"... The temperature is ever so slightly different from point to point in the sky....
These variations in temperature reflect slight differences from place to place in the density of matter in the early universe...
In a region that has slightly more matter than average, there is a gravitational force that pulls things together; in regions that are slightly underdense, matter tends to flow outward to the denser regions..
."
So in the Sluggyverse, time (at one level) acts like matter. Given a certain amount of time in the universe, time will flow toward regions of higher density, leaving the less time-dense places with even less time.

In Timeless Space, we have people and living things suddenly popping into existence via various methods, but without a certain critical level of time to maintain this, the "time" radiates outward toward regions of higher density.

"Growth of structure is an irreversible process that naturally happens toward the future ... It represents an increase in entropy."
(Entropy, as defined earlier in the book, "measures how disorderly a system is... Whenever we disturb the universe, we tend to increase its entropy")

So maybe, in Timeless Space, time is like matter acted on by an equivalent of gravity.
So we'd move from a uniform unchanging background of time, distubed by the sudden intrusion of things inherently containing time, which increases the disorder in the fabric of time, giving us regions of higher and lower density of time, but because those regions don't have enough time to stop it from radiating out, we get the effects we see in Timeless Space.
Forgive the possible rambling-ness of this post, written at 2:00am when woken by mosquitoes.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:49 am 
Master of physics here;
we could consider time in TS a parallel to heat.
The consequences would look like this:
  • Every person generate time, is a time power source
  • Time radiates away from the surface of any object
  • Upon reaching a certain "temperature", objects change state between time-frozen and time-active
  • The radiative loss from the surface of a single person to the surrounding space is so great that the equilibrium time-temperature between radiation and internal power is lower than the time-freeze point.
  • A collection of power sources (persons) increase their power-to-surface ratio, and therefore the equilibrium temperature, which allow for maintaining a time-active state
  • Touching objects should bring rapid temperature equilibrium, so coming in to contact with a time-frozen object or person represent a risk of quickly becoming time-frozen.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat