Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I have no major qualms with us taking Talen in and giving him a proper Terran education," Felix says. "We can teach him any number of professions that would make him a very rich and successful man. He'd also be eating the same as the rest of us. No roast beef for the moment, but once we get all our farms and livestock vats up and running he'll be eating like the Queen herself."

Felix eyes Talen, gauging his interest in the matter. If both he and the father are in agreement Felix will gladly take the boy in.

"The Earl of Lenda said that the eyewitness accounts of two Knights could get Martel into some major hot water. How quickly can you get the ball rolling on that? I quite like the idea of making his life miserable."

After pausing for a thoughtful moment, Felix looks over at Sephrenia.

"Do you mind if we have a sit down soon?" He asks. "I'd very much like to get some information on more of these supernatural threats. If I can get info on weaknesses ahead of time I can prepare more countermeasures like the cryo bomb. Save all of us a lot of hassle."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady, who has by this time had a word or two with God (and hopefully put Piper down), eyes the exchange going on around Talen. "Felix, Talen has already been taken in."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I know he has," Felix responds. "The life of a criminal is no life for a child. He's still young enough that we can get him out of that."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:32 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "If he wanted to leave the gang he could go back to his family, so he chose to join and to stay. Now be practical, please. He is a skillful thief and his orders are to be a spy. How will you be convincing the captain to let him stay and study us?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 am 
"Yeah, like, no," offers Talen when Felix makes his offer. "Like he says," - indicating Arkady - "I've got a profession all lined up. I'm good at it, I'll be rich, and successful, and I'll eat whatever I want, and all without getting caned for not combing my hair. Why would I want to get out?"

"And what profession is that?" asks his father (a fellow by the name of Kalten).

Talen shrugs. "Thief, of course. By the way -" he hands Kalten a ring - "tell Sparhawk that this isn't a real ruby, would you? And here's his money pouch, and your money pouch, and..."

Sephrenia watches the exchange with raised eyebrows. "Kalten, does your wife know about Talen?" she asks, bluntly.

Kalten's embarrassed silence speaks volumes. "I've been paying his boarding school fees..." he says.

"Well, you can stop that," says Talen. "Maybe you can get a refund for the last couple of years' worth, too."

Sephrenia rolls her eyes in a "this-is-what-I-have-to-put-up-with" way and sighs. She turns to Felix. "How long a sit-down were you thinking about?" she asks. "I've been teaching these knights about supernatural dangers for decades now, and we've barely scratched the surface."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:15 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I'd be fine with a summary of all the major weaknesses you're aware of. If there are a lot to go over even for that, we can just start with the most common," Felix says. "If it can't be slain by a standard mortal weapon I'd very much like to know about it."

He's fine to leave the matter with Talen rest.

If everyone has concluded with their business Felix would like the group to start heading out, now. He and Sephrenia can talk on the way out of town.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers Talen's view of his future then says "Lad, skill won't save you if your luck turns sour. I knew boys like you when I was growing up, all going straight to the top. Most of them are washed up, enslaved, or dead now. One or two did well, but only one or two. And we were not seeing many old thieves when we paid your master a visit." He shrugs. "Crime pays better than work, but very few thieves die rich and in bed. Make your plans to get out now; when you need them is too late."

A thought crosses Arkady's mind, and he turns to Lady Sephrenia and Felix. "Lady, would Zalasbra be knowing these dangers and weaknesses well?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:20 pm 
"Pssssh. Who wants to die in bed?" asks Talen, with all the assurance of an eleven-year-old who doesn't truly believe he'll ever actually die.

"There are many which are immune to most weapons," says Sephrenia. "Though those cryobombs of yours are a new thing, and unique - they will help against many fell creatures that are immune to many weapons. Others may be immune to the cryobombs, but vulnerable to various poisons, or to more traditional weapons. In truth, I am not fully certain of the direction that Zalasbra's studies have gone in these past few decades - he will know at least the basics, though I am not sure how far his knowledge goes beyond that. Though Piper knows more about such creatures than I do."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:01 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Is lightning a good bet?" Felix asks. "I could maybe design a grenade-sized slug with two reinforced copper prongs and an acid battery to dispense a high volume of electricity in a short burst. We can also mass produce the cryo bombs so that the Knights can have some on hand they can throw should they need to."

Felix starts keeping some mental notes. Mass production of cryo bombs. Grenade-sized lightning slugs for the launchers. Poison gas. Dragon's breath rounds for the shotguns. Incendiary ammo.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks towards Piper. "Piper, are you interested in helping us put together a data-base of such problems? It could be a life saver for our colony."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:09 am 
Sephrenia considers the question, but shakes her head. "Lightning is... not difficult for a practitioner to generate," she says. "As a result, there aren't many demons left with that vulnerability, and those few that remain are unlikely to be used in a combat situation."

Piper rolls her eyes at Arkady. "But that sounds booooooooring!"

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Really? That's a shame." Felix says. "I've always wanted to make a lightning gun but have never had reason to. Oh well."

"We'll pay you in ice cream if you help us, Piper."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:58 pm 
Piper considers the offer, briefly staring at the end of her own nose. After a moment, she comes to a conclusion.

"If I eat that much ice-cream, I'll swell up and pop. You'd better pay me mostly in kisses instead."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix contemplates the offer for a few moments before accepting.

"That sounds like a fair deal."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:57 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "The tales of Piper the Clever. That will make for some interesting stories." He looks back to Lady Sephrenia. "I never was asking. Did you find anything useful over there?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG