Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I thought we agreed not to do that again," Felix says. "Also this is hardly an ideal environment. Whatever entity that responded might not take too kindly to us dragging it into it."

Felix nervously eyes the waterspout, his eyes lingering on the bits of boat raining down. He keeps an eye out for survivors.

"The best plan we have is waiting it out to see if we can stealth away and using our cryo bombs on it if it looks like we might get caught." Felix grips his rifle. "Though I'm loathe to let innocent civilians get caught up in this mess. I'd rather try and kill it if at all possible."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Weremensh wrote:
Arkady looks at the fire spirit and answers: "There are powers around here that give off a kind of light people can't see. We know how to see and shine that kind of light with machines, so we've seen them do it. When we tried to imitate the specific way they do it to be saying hello, the machine that did it was destroyed by lightning in a closed room."

"I must have dozed off* when you discussed that in the debriefing. Remind me to ask you about it if we survive."

Kajin wrote:
"The best plan we have is waiting it out to see if we can stealth away and using our cryo bombs on it if it looks like we might get caught." Felix grips his rifle. "Though I'm loathe to let innocent civilians get caught up in this mess. I'd rather try and kill it if at all possible."

"I vote we keep a low profile as much as possible. I wasn't with you when the radio got zapped, but that doesn't sound easy to reproduce... Martel probably released the creature hoping we'd try to kill it. The death of innocents weighs on me as much as anyone, but I think it's far too risky."

CCC wrote:
"Your loss, dude."

"I doubt it... unless... hmm. How would you describe its effects?"

*OOG: I, uh, completely forgot about that incident. I may have to try and re-read it or coax a better in game explanation.

Last edited by Dodger77 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:10 am 
Sephrenia glances at Piper raising an eyebrow. Piper shrugs (without stopping her piping) and the two of them communicate, briefly, through facial expressions in a way that reinforces the idea that they know each other very well.

"There's also the question of whether or not that entity is even present here," adds Sephrenia. "But no - even if you succeed brilliantly, you won't be able to do more than annoy the Damork."

"Would it be possible to send a device to the Damork without revealing our location?" asks Sir Sparhawk.

Sephrenia considers the matter, and nods. "I believe it would," she opines. "Something small."

Sir Sparhawk nods. "Now," he says to the Terrans, "tell me more about these 'cryo bombs'..."

Meanwhile, Roger is keeping track of two conversations at once.

"It's relaxing, dude," says the Rendorish man. "Like, suuuuuper relaxing. Like, stuff just happens and it don't bother you, dude."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix grabs one of the cryo bombs and holds it out.

"This contains a substance known as a refrigerant. It has unique chemical properties that render it a liquid when compressed into small spaces but a gas when given room. When it explodes, it'll release and the sudden change from liquid to gas freezes everything around it while also displacing the air needed to sustain fire."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:42 pm 
"And if that fails, well we can always try to get it high" Roger says in the best dead pan snark he can muster.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 am 
"No air and it freezes?" asks Sephrenia.

"Would that kill the Damork?" asks Sparhawk.

"No," says Sephrenia, "but it could destroy its current body and prevent it from doing anything until it gets re-summoned. Can you set that thing to go off after a given time?" She raises an eyebrow at Roger's suggestion. "I don't think that getting it high would help much..."

The waterspout bears down on another ship. This time, panicked sailors can be seen leaping overboard and attempting to swim away well before the waterspout hits. Another ship gets obliterated by lightning, which causes just about everyone to start abandoning their ships (some of them taking the time to lower rowboats first).

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Yes"

Felix immediately starts modifying the cryo bombs to detonate at a set time. Once he's finished the first he'll hold it over to Sephrenia and activate it when she's ready to do what she's gonna do. He'll immediately start work on the next one just in case the first is ineffective.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am 
Sephrenia takes Felix's first cryo-bomb, and confirms with him the time until it goes off - about five minutes. She holds it out over the side of the ship, glances briefly at Piper, and quietly says something in a language that is neither Elene nor Rendor (too quietly for anyone to make out more clearly than that). The cryo-bomb falls from her hand into the water - but at the same time the cryo-bomb never left her hand. Then another one falls from her hand, and another, and another, until a stream of cryobombs has dropped from her hand to sink into the water, all of it without so much as a splash.

After a moment, those on the ship may notice the cryobombs popping up in a circle around the Damork's little raft, more and more crowding around. About a minute before the fuse is supposed to go off, Sephrenia at last lets go of the one in her hand (and it, too, drops noiselessly into the water).

It seems that the cryobombs are all pretty exact duplicates, because they go off simultaneously, with a whump that leaves a cloud of milky white where the Damork was.

There's a long moment of near-silence, then Piper lowers her pipes, and the silence becomes more complete.

"It's gone," she says. "It's gone... back."

"Back?" asks one of the Knights.

"The creature has been returned to from whence it came," explains Sephrenia. "Unless its summoner is nearby, there's not much it can do to us right now."

Piper sighs, smiles, and promptly falls over.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix sighs and slumps down onto the nearest thing that could be charitably called a seat.

"Fire seems to be a running theme. I'm going to have to make so many more of those bombs."

He turns to Piper.

"We're gonna have to make you some more ice cream when we get back to the ship."

After confirming that they're no longer threatened and that the civilian ships are doing fine, Felix goes to help however he can with keeping the ship underway.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady picks up Piper and cradles her for a minute. "Thank you, Little Mother." If she starts to revive after a bit he'll put her down, otherwise he'll look around for someplace reasonably comfortable for her to lie down. "That was a useful trick, Lady. It probably doesn't even know who to be mad at."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:54 pm 
Once it became obvious that he wouldn't need to shoot anything, Nate busied himself setting up a makeshift triage station for any survivors they pull out of the water.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:39 pm 
With the Damork out of the picture, the waterspout collapses and though the dark clouds in the sky remain, there seems to be no more lightning. No-one was really far from shore (and a few sailors who took the time to lower a boat go around picking up swimmers and ferrying them to said shore) and the bystanders appear to be in no further danger, though none of them seem particularly eager to return to their ships, at least until the clouds disperse (which they may have to do naturally).

The loudest voice among the civilians is one of the merchants, loudly insisting that his crew go back to his ship to recover his expensive cargo (while he, naturally, remains safely on the shore).

When Arkady picks up Piper, she promptly puts her arms around his neck and doesn't let go. She doesn't open her eyes, but it's clear that she does not want to be put down.

Weremensh wrote:
"That was a useful trick, Lady. It probably doesn't even know who to be mad at."

"It won't," says Sephrenia. "It is... not smart. I'm a good deal more worried about whoever summoned it, though. And the fact that it seemed to be working with Martel."

"Gentlemen," says Sir Sparhawk, "since all our business in Rendor is concluded, and since we are on a ship and one of the piers has been destroyed, I would like to propose that we cross the channel back to Coombe. Are there any objections?"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:51 pm 
Relief apparent in his voice, Roger says to Sephrenia: Apologies, my lady. That was a bit of gallows humor on my part.

I have no objections to returning to Coombe. As long as it's okay with our Captain. It is his ship after all.
(I don't think he'll object in his current state)

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:56 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I would very much like to return, yes," Felix says. "I've been away from the colony too long. I need to work on that medicine and prepare for times to come."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 pm 
The Rendorish man's response, when asked, is "Whatever, dude. Hey, there's a cloud over there that looks kinda like a goat. Isn't that neat?"

--------------

Sailing back to Coombe proceeds without major incident.

There are two notable minor incidents; the first is that one of the members of Sparhawk's group turns out to be Talen's father (he admits that he was "indiscreet" some years back in Cimmura) and would really like to know why Talen is not in the very good school that he'd left the young lad in (to which Talen responds that he didn't like the way the teachers at the school had roast beef while the students had gruel, so he left, and has learned a lot more outside of that school than he'd ever learned inside it).

The second minor incident happens only on arrival at Coombe, where it is discovered that the Rendor with the pipe is not and never was the owner of the ship you sailed across the channel in. On the contrary, the ship is owned by his uncle, who had left him to look after it while he and the actual sailors had gone ashore to try to find a buyer for their cargo (apparently his uncle's last words to him were something along the lines of "just look after the ship for half an hour, will you, honestly even you can't mess this up."). Sir Sparhawk, on hearing this, hires a few sailors in Coombe to take the ship, its' still untouched cargo, and its' temporary caretaker back to Rendor, along with a note of apology and thanks addressed to said uncle.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG