Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger suppresses a chuckle. He attempts to look as though he still finds Piper to be mysterious, but as he is unsure how that should look exactly so it's debatable whether or not he succeeds.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:03 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady blinks then shakes his head. After a second he starts to chuckle. "I am not thinking you need to worry about that, Little Mother. But is that really what you are wanting me to call you?"

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:27 am 
Nate walks over, having overheard Piper.

"Kiddo, airs of mystery only work with people who aren't willing to accept you as you are. Everyone has secrets, everyone has a past. That's especially true here, and I would know better then most. As far as I'm concerned, you'll have to go to some pretty nasty lengths to gain an air of mystery, and I like you too much to want you to do that."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:53 pm 
Piper crosses her arms and puts her nose in the air. "I can be mysterious without being mean!" she states firmly, and puntuates the statement by sticking her tongue out at Nate. "So there!"

She glances back at Arkady, and this time answers his question. "You can keep on calling me Piper. I like Piper. It preseves at least some shreds of an air of mystery." She turns to glare at Zalasbra. "And if you even so much as hint at my name, then I will put bugs in your hair!"

Zalasbra does not seem unduly concerned over this threat, but he does keep his mouth shut.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"Piper the Mysterious it is, then." Still grinning, Arkady turns to the older native. "I have heard that you are called Zalasbra. Again, a pleasure to be meeting you. What brings you to our humble colony?"

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 am 
"Your colony does," says Zalasbra, smiling. "An entire city, appearing out of nowhere? How could a scholar such as myself possibly resist the opportunity to study the phenomenon up close?"

A young Terran lady steps out of the ship and climbers down the ladder. "Supper's ready, everyone! We have spinach salad again, along with the last of the dried mantic-"

She stops speaking abruptly at the sight of Felix. After a brief moment, she thrusts out a hand to shake. "Hi! I'm Teresa. Teresa Baker. Because - that is the name my parents have me. Teresa Baker. Is who I am. Yes. Um. So... might I ask what your name is?"

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It's certainly not something that happens everyday," Felix replies, nodding at Zalasbra as he walks towards the group from where he was sitting with David. Reaching down, he grabs Piper and gives her a noogie on both sides of the head. "You little brat, don't think I didn't hear you from all the way over there! Why didn't you just say you could talk? I was all kinds of worried about you."

Felix stops mid noogie as Teresa shows up and pauses awkwardly as she introduces herself, Piper's head still clamped between his fists if she doesn't manage to wriggle free.

"Yes. My name is Felix, same as it always was. Had my last name changed to False... some few thousand years back, I think, after a little of this and that... bad memories attached to it you understand."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:20 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
CCC wrote:
"Your colony does," says Zalasbra, smiling. "An entire city, appearing out of nowhere? How could a scholar such as myself possibly resist the opportunity to study the phenomenon up close?"

Arkady nods. "A good question. But what is it you are a scholar of? Cities appearing out of nowhere seems to be a bad choice to be keeping a man busy, even if stories we are hearing of elves are true."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm 
Piper bats ineffectually at Felix's arms at first, pausing when he does to stare at Teresa's awkward introduction.

"Right. Yes. Um," she says. "I hope you don't, um, run into anything that reminds you of those bad memories."

"Of the natural world and all it contains, of course," says Zalasbra. "Why, is it the fashion amongst your people to select some narrower area of study?"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:02 pm 
"Lifespan, mostly. Or lack thereof. When we're not sleeping away the eons, we tend to only live a century, maximum."

Nate politely disentagles Piper from Felix's Doom Noogie, and carries her away from the hustle and bustle.

"See, this is what I'm talking about. It's tough to be really mysterious when everyone around you is just as mysterious. And speaking of mysteries, I heard they got the refrigeration units going, so the time has come to introduce you to the mysteries of ice cream. Who knows? Maybe there will be enough left for the rest of the crew."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix shakes his head.

"I've got bigger concerns these days," he smiles, gesturing out towards the surrounding woods and the ship. "Besides, it's all in the past. Always gotta be moving forward, tackling new challenges and seeing interesting sights. I don't have time to worry about something I can't do anything about anymore."

Felix looks at Zalasbra, taking a moment to try and figure him out.

"Less of a fashion, more of a necessity," Felix replies after a moment. As he talks he tries to judge Zalasbra's reactions. "Knowledge is cumulative. After a while, you learn so much that you have to compile it into various categories and focus on them individually if you want to further the study of it or risk repeating what everyone else has done before. There's just so much to learn, and you never know what will be useful. 'The natural world and all it contains' could be separated into tens of thousands of different subjects. You could spend a lifetime learning about just one of them and never scratch the surface of its particulars."

Make an Empathy roll on Zalasbra.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:15 pm 
Arkady closely studies the man in front of him...

Arkady: Empathy: +4 Roll: +0

Zalasbra: Resolve: +5 Roll: +0

Zalasbra is a man with intense self-control. Arkady gets the feeling he would stand a good chance one-on-one against the Primate in a fair debate. Unfortunately, that same iron self-control means that it's near impossible to get a read on his personality...

"Ice cream?" asks Piper, following Nate happily.

"And yet only studying a single thing seems dreadfully narrow-minded," says Zalasbra. "So many things relate to each other in so many ways - one cannot hope to fully study humanity, for example, without examining also the Trolls."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"He is simplifying the case a little bit." Arkady comments. "Before you can learn a great deal about very little, you have to know a little bit about a lot of things. And one of the things we have to learn is how to work together with others who know things we don't to combine our knowledge. But at base they are right; we simply know too much for any mortal to know it all. If we didn't specialize we wouldn't know nearly as much as we do as a people."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:56 pm 
Zalasbra nods.

"Then it is clear that I am but yet a beginner scholar; I still ache to know even a little about a lot."

Felix spends one FATE point on Arkady's aspect. Arkady's dedication to what he does pulls past Zalasbra's determination not to let anything slip...

...and there, in the edges of his eyes, in the corners of his mouth, Arkady spots something familiar. An old pain, carefully buried, carefully hidden, but keenly felt nonetheless. An ancient denial. It would seem that Zalasbra has a well-hidden case of Unrequited Love.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:59 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "We may be able to help each other. Let me have a word with my captain."

Arkady then turns to that worthy and says "Captain, Zalasbra here can be very useful to us. What he knows about the beings like Piper alone could be saving all of our necks. What he is wanting in return is to learn; he is one of God's eternal students. I think we should be teaching him English and letting him do so."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG