Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:18 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger returns the bow, and considers the man for a moment. He decides to ignore the 'Ancient One' remark for now.

"Glad to hear it. May I ask what brings you out this way alone? I've been told fell beasts roam these forrests..."

Last edited by Dodger77 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:13 pm 
"In short, Ancient One, your city does." He nods at the dome of the ship, visible above the trees. "A city appearing out of nowhere is hardly an everyday occurrence. I am but a humble scholar, and, with your leave, I would like to study this phenomenon."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 am 
"I see. You'll need to speak to our Captain then. I can take you to him." Roger gestures for the man to follow him as they head back to the ship in search of the Captain. "My name is Roger. May I ask why you called me 'Ancient One'?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:09 am 
"You wear the millenia lightly," says the old man, following Roger, leaning on his staff as he walks. "Yet wear them you do, plain enough for those who have the sight to see it. My name is Zalasbra, and I am many centuries your junior."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:19 am 
Roger is slightly taken aback, but he tries to hide it. "Ah. But I was asleep those many centuries. You see, our 'city' is actually a ship. Built to travel the vast distances between the stars in the sky and the worlds that orbit them. As you have seen it is a journey that takes many millenia but my people found a way to put ourselves in a deep sleep until the ship arrived here. If we only counted our waking days you are still my elder. Roger trails off for a moment to let it sink in before posing another question. Tell me, what else can you see with this sight of yours?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:15 am 
"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

Zalasbra muses for a moment, and then says "Tell me - have you ever met a man who is entirely colourblind? Able to see the shapes of the things around them, but unable to observe the colours?"

Post Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:30 am 
"Yes. Well, not completely color blind. They could see some colors but not others. That kind of color blindness is not uncommon in my people. Total color blindness is less common but not unheard of."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:40 pm 
"Not unknown. Good. then consider, by way of analogy - let us say that you see a man lying by the side of the road, a bright red stain marring his green tunic. You can tell at once that he is injured, perhaps severely, yes? But a truly colourblind man may merely think he sleeps. He might ask you, what else you can see with these colours of yours, might he not? And you would find yourself hard put to explain the beauty of the rainbow, the harshness of sunset, the difference in colours between the trees of summer and autumn."

"And such is the like of my dilemma. I can indeed see the centuries upon your shoulders - but that phrasing is not precise. Indeed, there is no phrasing in Elene which precisely describes it, for Elenes are - almost to a man - allegorically colourblind."

Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 am 
"Fascinating. This extra sight. Is it something you were born with or have trained up over time?" "Now where could the captain be..." he mumbles.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm 
"It took some training," says Zalasbra.

The Captain is finally found, walking briskly towards them (but out of breath, as if he had been running). He's accompanied by a somewhat confused-looking Sir Bevier.

"Ah, and who might this elderly fellow be?" asks Captain Argent, with his best diplomatic grin.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:57 pm 
"Ah, Captain. This man is Zalasbra, a scholar. He's heard of our miraculous appearance and wishes to study us. I told him he would need your permission"

"Zalasbra, this man is Sir Bevier. He has also been helping us."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 am 
Zalasbra bows to Sir Bevier. "Ah, one of the famed Pandion Knights. But a mere child compared to the age of these illustrious ancients with whom we find ourselves surrounded - but in that you and I are alike."

"Er, right," says Sir Bevier, nervously.

"I believe my old friend, the Lady Sephrenia, has been instructing your people in the secrets of the Styricum. Tell me, does she remain in good health?"

"She does indeed, the last I saw her," says Sir Bevier.

"Most excellent news," says Zalasbra. He looks over at the Captain, to whom he has not been introduced, and raises an eyebrow.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:56 am 
"Ah, forgive me. Zalasbra, may I introduce Captain Argent. Unfortunately, he does not speak Elene. So either myself or Sir Bevier will have to translate."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:09 am 
Zalasbra bows to the Captain. "Ah. Captain Argent, the leader of these Ancients? Please, convey my wish to study that which your people have achieved - beginning with your language, that I might better understand and communicate with you. I am perfectly capable of living off the land in this forest, and thus intend to be no burden to you at all, and perhaps a scholar such as myself can provide some other services of use to you?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:54 am 
Roger turns to the Captain. "Captain, Zalasbra says he wishes to study us and our achievements, beginning with our language. He says he can live off of the land and thus would not be a burden to our supplies. He also says he hopes he can be of some service to us perhaps in the way of cultural exchange... he has mentioned to me that he is at lease somewhat versed in the magical arts. He can, "see" our true age which apparently includes the many years we spent in cryogenic sleep..."

To Zalasbra he says, "Forgive me, for I misspoke earlier. Sir Bevier does not speak English, which is the name of one of our languages. Currently I am the only one here who speaks both Elene and English but there are others who speak your language but they are..uh.. elsewhere at the moment."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG