Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady sighs. "Before we left home, the head of my Church decided that I should study that ritual in depth. It was an...excess of caution, and so I can teach it to future priests. We were not expecting I would need it within a month of arriving." He focuses on the Earl, and continues: "No...my lord(?), we can not prove it without questioning him. Perhaps I should be performing an exorcism before we do."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:18 am 
The Earl drums his fingers against the table for a moment. "If one of the Primate's hirelings is consorting with demons... if you have proof of even that much, then I'd advise you to take it directly to the Arch-Prelate's office in Chyrellos. The hireling will be excommunicated, almost certainly the militant orders will be ordered to hunt him down and execute him, and the Primate will need to quickly distance himself from said hireling lest he lose his position and power as well. At the very least, it will prevent the Primate from hiring that hireling ever again, and he will need to be exceedingly cautious in his, ah, less than ethical dealings for a very long time."

The Earl considers the matter a moment longer, and then adds "I should also mention that a sworn eyewitness statement by two or more Churchmen is considered as binding as a signed statement in an ecclesiastical hearing. If two of the Knights witnessed this demon's activities, then their testimony alone will likely be sufficient proof to stand at the hearing."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:35 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"The person that summoned the beast is dead," Felix says. "The thing was apparently dwelling inside him, and killed him on its way out to keep us from prying information out of him. Two Church Knights witnessed the creature, but unfortunately one of them was slain during the scuffle with it."

Felix bows his head for a moment of silence.

"We do know of who hired the hireling, but beyond that we don't have any proof that he's connected to the demon in any manner or was even aware of it. That all said, we did pick up a lead in our investigation and will be moving out soon to try and handle what we promised on our end," Felix continues. "We won't be able to manage any political maneuvers until we get back, and I don't know how long that'll be."

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:12 am 
"Humph." The Earl frowns at the table. "Unfortunate. Still... if you can find enough further proof of demon summoning to bring to a hearing at Chyrellos, you could force the Primate to cut off a good deal of his less savoury conducts and enterprises. Perhaps ensure that there will still be anything left in the treasury when Queen Cehlana is restored to her throne."

He shakes his head. "But enough of that. The last time we spoke, you said that you had come from some distant land and crashed a... a ship, I believe you said, in Fangorn Forest? Would you care to elaborate on that, perhaps?"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Long story short, we're from the sky," Felix points up. "Every star you see in the night sky is a destination you can travel to if you have the appropriate means, and each has the slightest potential of having worlds that can be used to harbor life. The various nations of our world, fearing some sort of future catastrophe that could spell the end of humanity, came together and built a ship that could navigate these stars and selected a potentially habitable world for us and our colonists to land on and build a new civilization. That way that, in the event of our initial world's collapse, our people would still collectively thrive."

Felix chuckles.

"We just weren't expecting to land on a world that already had people living on it. All theories and long distance observations had shown we were alone in the universe. The planet we'd selected using our telescopes was supposed to be a barren husk free of any life or even breathable air, and yet when we got here there are lush forests, wild animals, and humans. It's kind of throwing us for a loop. Probably about as much of a loop as a city sized ship falling from the sky carrying an unknown race of people is for the people here."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady sips his tea, then nods towards Sir Ulath. "Sir Ulath here has been on our ship. He did not see it travel between stars, but then neither did we. The journey took thousands of years. We were all frozen solid before we left, and thawed after we landed. A useful trick to know, though a dangerous one."

If she doesn't already have some such, he then goes about ordering a snack for Piper.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:25 am 
"No air? My goodness, how could you possibly have managed to survive?" asks the Earl. "Was the land you came from very different?"

Piper seems grateful for her little apple tart - she gives Arkady a hug and a kiss.

"The 'ship' is a city," says Sir Ulath. "All under one roof. It's hard to imagine it flying - or doing anything in the air but falling - but the Lady Sephrenia seemed to think it was possible." He shrugs.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:01 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We'd brought enough air with us to survive, and had various methods to make sure that air remained breathable for everyone," Felix says. "The hydroponics bay farms that provided us food would have converted carbon dioxide into good old breathable oxygen. The initial plans were to expand outward from the ship by building airtight domes, then planting grass and trees inside those domes to give us more room and provide more clean air. Eventually, over the course of hundreds and thousands of years, we'd have terraformed the entire planet into a lush world with an atmosphere not too dissimilar to the one we came from."

Felix coughs.

"Or the one that was already here when we arrived..."

Felix pulls out the tablet he grabbed from the truck on the way out to here. Downloaded to it is a video showing highlights of the ship's construction as well as its boarding and launch into space.

"Would you like to see some video of the ship being built and its launch?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:24 am 
"Hydroponics bay?" asks the Earl.

Sir Ulath answers first. "Indoor garden. Growing lettuces or similar in water."

"I see," says the Earl. "What's 'video?'"

Sir Ulath grins widely. "See for yourself," he says, indicating Felix' tablet.

The Earl leans forward to do just that - only to jump back in shock at the video itself.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:49 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"When they were first invented, they were known as 'moving pictures'," Felix says. "This then got shortened to movie, and then later became video as an umbrella term for all forms of moving picture after the term movie became associated with a type of theater entertainment that revolves around video."

Felix continues.

"This device is known as a tablet, and it stores all sorts of things in a digitized format. Video included. So long as I have a source of power to keep it functioning, it converts data into light on the screen so you can see what's been stored inside. Books are an example of what you can store on here, and you can keep entire libraries inside it."

After his explanation is over, he plays the video and explains the general goings on of what's happening.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:40 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
As the video is playing Arkady comments to Nate: "When things settle down we should search the old communications logs to find out what happened after we left. Perhaps they figured out what went wrong."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:33 pm 
"Worth a shot, provided they even knew something had gone wrong. At the least I can check to see if the Cubs won."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:01 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady chuckles. "Centuries of sports and shows may be waiting to be watched. If we are not being careful we may never work again." Then he becomes more serious and adds "If the problem started when the ship was still reporting home, the next ship may have avoided it. I am hoping there were others."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:03 am 
Felix: Rapport: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3 Target: +0

The Earl seems somewhat uncomfortable with the video, and asks a few simple questions; but between Felix's straightforward answers and the fact that both Berit and Sir Ulath seem fine with this, the Earl evidently eventually decides it's not going to be a major problem (or, at least, he's not going to make it into a major problem), though he's clearly a little shaken at this demonstration of technology.

"Were you by any chance fleeing something," he asks, "when you left? And should we worry that it might have followed you?"

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We weren't fleeing anything in particular," Felix says. "At least, nothing so spectacular that could follow us or so mundane that couldn't already happen here. Climate change, the potential for devastating wars that would leave the planet a barren husk, a meteor falling from the sky and creating a giant impact that could crush all life, the sun eventually winking out into nothingness and leaving us adrift in eternal dark or outright exploding and vaporizing the entire world."

Felix shrugs.

"Basically the goal was to make sure no single catastrophe could wipe humanity out as a species, or any of the life we help to perpetuate alongside us."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG