Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:37 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I'm curious; have the three folks on the road heard that there's been another awakening yet?

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Not that I'm aware of, though if we check in they'll probably inform us.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 am 
Kajin wrote:
Quick question, how many cryosleep caskets would we have to shut down before it constituted one unit of power produced from the solar panels? Just curious.

Enough to populate a small city. The caskets do take power, but next to nothing each.

Weremensh wrote:
I'm curious; have the three folks on the road heard that there's been another awakening yet?

I don't think so. When did you last check in?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I thought we more or less checked in every day, just to keep them apprised of what's going on and vice versa. If nothing else the result of our little test with the gremlins would have been relayed; it would be seriously awkward if someone tried it back at the ship using the ships' commo system.

How big is this city, by the way? Half a kilometer across, two, five?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:49 am 
I'm pretty sure the gremlin lightning bolt happened a few days before Roger woke up, so you'd certainly have had a chance to report it in without hearing anything about him in return.

Weremensh wrote:
How big is this city, by the way? Half a kilometer across, two, five?

Cimmura is a medieval capital city. Population in the range of 20 000 to 40 000. Total area of... hmmm... eyeballing it, you'd think maybe a square mile. So about two kilometres in its longest dimension (corner to corner), but you could probably cross the city in about a kilometre and a half if you pick the narrowest path through the approximate centre.

It has a river running through it, by the way. The bridge is somewhere in the middle of the city. It's a substantial enough river that the trucks aren't going to make it across without some provision being made... but you should be able to triangulate entirely from this side of the river if you like.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Can I spend a fate point and say I have a surveillance drone I can fly above the city to take pictures? Would be better than this map, and we can strap another tracking device to it to give us another point of reference when trying to locate the hideout..

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:22 am 
You can spend a FATE point to have all the necessary parts. Making the actual drone requires an Engineering roll on top of that, which gets more difficult (and takes more time) the more equipment you want it to carry.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:30 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
CCC wrote:
You can spend a FATE point to have all the necessary parts. Making the actual drone requires an Engineering roll on top of that, which gets more difficult (and takes more time) the more equipment you want it to carry.

Just need a telescoping camera and a tracking device. How much time will that take for my skill level, assuming I roll +0?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 am 
Really, all the mapmaking magic happens in software. Just about any drone will do the job, provided it has enough juice to make a flight around the city and a decient camera to record video. A small UAV is useful enough for general reconasance that it's not above the realm of reason to assume Nate tossed one on the back of one of the trucks. Some of the millitary models are very small and capable, and the software is simply an app on a tablet.

In short, it's in character for Nate to have packed a drone, and I'm willing to spend a FATE point to have one on hand.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:19 am 
Hmmm. You're looking at loading on maybe three things, then:

Camera: Necessary to take pictures
Transmitter: Necessary if you want to download the images in real-time (as opposed to plugging the drone into a handy tablet after it lands - probably the easiest bit to do without)
Receiver: Allows the drone to receive new orders in-flight; triangulate radio transmissions; and, if necessary, permits direct remote control of the drone from a compatible tablet. (Note that the remote pilot can only get feedback from the drone if it also has a Camera and a Transmitter)

A drone with nothing loaded on can be prepared in an hour with a roll of +0. (Each additional item requires an extra +1 on the roll for the same amount of time). Getting all three items on the drone, without overloading it, will require a day at a roll of +0 with no FATE points or stunts modifying the roll. (If multiple engineers make the attempt, the highest total is used).

It's currently about 10am.

(Other parts that could be loaded on - if you're feeling ambitious - include but are not limited to a small Speaker, a Microphone, a Screen (about the size of a cellphone screen), a Sonar device, a Temperature Sensor, a Claw capable of picking up small objects, Armour, most of the working parts of a Pistol, and more...)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 am 
...talking of stunts, incidentally, and going back to look, the Universal Gadget stunt can really cut down on time and Engineering rolls here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:39 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I want to save the Universal Gadget stunt to make sure I have an non stolen weapon on hand when we go into the Panther's Den. Trying to walk anywhere in this city is a pain in the ass. Without an accurate map of the city trying to trace their position is pointless. We'd spend too much time walking around. Building the drone within our time constraints is rather unlikely, as well, so we can't count on an accurate map

At this point meeting the kid is the only really feasible option, unless I can somehow be guaranteed a gun on my person if I need it.

Though that being said I really would argue for spending a fate point and saying we have a recon drone that does what we need, since it's something we could feasibly have ready for just such an occasion.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:03 am 
...having the drone on-hand is exactly the sort of thing that the Universal Gadget stunt does. That's what it's there for.

Also, a FATE point would be very useful in ensuring that you have a suitable weapon within reach, even in the Panther's Den (most pickpockets are nowhere near as good at it as The Kid, and he's going to be out preparing to meet you for lunch).

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:06 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I figured the Universal Gadget gave me stuff a little more esoteric, while the fate points gave me stuff I could conceivably have already.

But alright, if I can spend a fate point to make sure I have a weapon on hand then yeah I'll go with Universal Gadget for all our aerial surveillance needs. Can I assume that my upgrades cover everything we need?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:55 am 
Universal Gadget covers two upgrades. You can put those in Camera and Receiver to get a drone that can fly up, take photos and triangulate, but you won't get the data from it until it lands again and can be plugged into a tablet. If you want the Transmitter as well, for real-time downloads, then you'll still need to roll Engineering, but against a significantly lower target (you'll easily make it on a +0 roll).

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG