Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:39 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"My aren't you an affectionate little one," he says softly in Elene.

"That is perfectly alright with me Doc. I don't think I would have signed up as a colonist if I were trying to avoid physical labor."

He looks at Piper and smiles. "...Speaking of which..."

He lifts the girl so that she is sitting on the crook of his arm, and follows after Dr. Vanderbilt.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:17 am 
"I'm not quite sure why she doesn't speak," says Dr. Vanderbilt. "She doesn't like needles, or big scary medical equipment, but as far as I can see she doesn't have anything physically wrong with her. My best guess at the moment is that it's some sort of trauma, possibly related to the way she doesn't appear to have any family and was wandering alone in the woods..." She shakes her head and drops the subject.

"Sir Bevier's listening to the radios," she continues. "We gave a transmitter to a local politician as a gift, and we're hoping he says something interesting. Everything's recorded, of course, but since he's speaking in Elene, Sir Bevier's the only one here who can tell whether what he's saying is of any importance or not. We managed to get another one to the head of a local crime syndicate, but he sold that one to some travelling merchant."

She leads Roger (and Piper) into a small conference room where a man in light chainmail is listening to a radio, which appears to be playing back an incredibly boring report (in Elene) on agriculture. Whoever's speaking seems to be really in love with the sound of his own voice.

Piper seems to be quite happy being carried, looking around the room and paying attention.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:22 pm 
Roger looks at Dr. Vanderbilt, waiting for her to perform the introduction until he remembers that she can't. He turns to Sir Bevier and waits for a lull in the radio chatter before speaking.

"Hello. Sir Bevier is it? I'm Roger. I've just woken up. As you can see, I speak Elene. I suppose if you hear something important you can tell me and I will relate it to the others. I'll leave you to it."

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:05 am 
"Good day, indeed, Roger!" Sir Bevier smiles warmly. "I am most glad you are awake. One does not realise how pleasant a simple conversation is until one spends weeks among people who cannot hold one."

Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm 
"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Sir. If you'll excuse me I'm a little anxious to see this new world for myself. Feel free to seek me out when you can't take any more of the radio!"

He turns to Dr. Vanderbilt, "I'd like to see the outside now if you don't mind."

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:05 am 
Sir Bevier nods. "I most certainly will!"

--------------

"The ship didn't land quite flat on the ground," says Dr. Vanderbilt. "There's a ladder at the entrance, you'll have to climb down a bit. The airlock's at the end of the corridor, this way. As far as we can tell, the local air is perfectly safe. But if you get an allergic reaction to anything out there, I want you to let me know immediately."

When the airlock opens, Roger gets a view of the new world. He looks out into a forest, every empty space filled with rickety windmills or haphazardly placed pre-fabricated buildings and a small group of people with chainsaws clearing out some more space for the next building. There's a narrow footpath running past the ship which remains clear.

He's going to have to put Piper down if he wants to climb down the ladder.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:02 pm 
Roger pause for several minutes at the top of the ladder to drink in the view as well as to make sure his lungs don't catch fire. Satisfied that he is in no immediate danger, he sets Piper down and begins to climb down the ladder. When he reaches the bottom he looks for people not busy operating chainsaws to introduce himself to.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 am 
When Dr. Vanderbilt gets to the bottom, she waves over a man who's busy making notes on a clipboard. "Hey, David! We've got another spontaneous awaking!"

"What, now?" asks David, almost dropping his clipboard. "Has anybody checked the computer logs?"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 am 
"Is this a bad time to wake up? If so, I apologize for the inconvenience. I couldn't help it though. As for the computer logs, I doubt it. Dr. Vanderbilt is the only one who knew about me until now and she's been kind enough to show me around."

"Er, I'm Roger. " He adds a bit sheepishly.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:49 am 
"You're not on the schedule," says David, glaring at Roger. "I had everything planned out to three decimal places, with strong safety margins, and you are not on the schedule, so now I am going to have to do everything all over again. What's your speciality?"

Post Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12 pm 
Doesn't sound like a very robust plan Roger thinks to himself...

"Well, I'm a programmer by trade with a passion for languages. I speak several earth languages fluently, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that I can speak with some of the natives of this world as well."

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:41 pm 
"Brilliant. Brilliant! Not only do you wake up out of nowhere, but you can mysteriously speak an entire new language out of nowhere again! This is not scientifically possible!"

He points at Roger. "You are not scientifically possible!"

"David," says Dr. Vanderbilt, stepping in. "It's not his fault."

David glares at Roger for a moment longer, then lowers his pointing finger. "You're right," he says. "I'm sorry. You know computers and languages, right? The... um... other spontaneous wakers threw together a basic translater program between English and... whatever."

"Elene," says Dr. Vanderbilt, helpfully.

"Yeah, whatever," says David. "Do you mind having a look over it, maybe see how you can improve it?"

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:30 pm 
"Of course! That sounds like fun!" He smiles though he's masking a desire to get away from David as soon as humanly possilble.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:58 am 
"This way," says David, taking himself and his clipboard back towards the Ship. "I'll show you where you can set up. How long have you been awake?"

Piper gives Roger a squeeze and a kiss on the cheek.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:42 pm 
"Only about an hour or so. Luckily Dr. Vanderbilt found me and gave me something to eat. Then she introduced me to Piper and Sir Bevier, and then we came outside."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG