Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:51 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
The Chapter Navigation dropdown menu might need to be a tad updated.

It got all the chapters by books (and Megatome) up until Book 10, but after that, all the remaining chapters (i.e. almost the half of all the existing ones since the start) goes into the "Comics Not Yet in Books" folder.

Wasn't it for the latest news update, I wouldn't have known Sluggy is already at its 14th book (soon 15th?).

Giving a tool that would allow Pete to easily update the Chapter dorpdown menu might be considered, so that he can easily put Chapters in a new book as soon as it come out.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:30 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
I know this is way late, but I finally remembered to contact Pete about this. And here is what he told me:
Pete wrote:
So, believe it or not, I can't do many things relating to the site. Like adding books to the drop-down. For literally years now I've taken actions towards a new site, only to have them end in disappointment and cost. believe me if I could edit the drop-down I would have.

If we switch over to a wordpress site, my best option at this point, we lose weekly mode and the calendar. And you thought they were upset before! ;) But I'd be in full control of the navigation.

And yes you can feel free to share this information.
It would appear that Rit never gave Pete all of the tools to access/edit the site.

Edit: Um, scratch that, apparently it's a bit more complicated than that.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Hmm. Surely there's a Sluggite who can make that tiny tweak.

Let me rephrase that: I could take a look. I couldn't make major code changes, but it's reasonably likely I could add books and book-sized categories to the existing lists. And, I'm sure there's someone better qualified than I am on this forum.

Do we have a testing server so it's safe to mess around somewhere?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:14 am 
Actually when I really think about it, and what I know about how code works, why can Pete only add to "Comics not yet in books" category? He can add/edit chapters and sub-chapters in that category, but nothing else...seems odd. What prevents him from accessing the entire menu? Hell, the raw data for the nav menu has to be stored somewhere in easily editable text.

EDIT:
Well...if you want to see what it would look like/taunt yourself, I went and made a page where the menu has all of the books listed.

The thing won't use external links to css and javascript, so I only copied over what was needed until the menu would work. If I still had my website, this would not of been a problem. Also since I don't have those books, I don't know exactly where everything starts and ends. The descriptors are vague and at times contradictory.

But if you want one that looks better, download this one and open it in your browser.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:29 pm 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Well, thanks for the info, at least. I don't understand exactly what is and what isn't in Pete's power, but I am at least glad it's acknowledged.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 am 
I know, it doesn't make any sense to me, but I don't think I should be bugging Pete about it anymore.

Though, if someone else want to bug Pete... Go right ahead. Maybe you'll have more luck.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:13 am 
Well, looking like it has actually been updated, now. Book 11, 12 and 13 are now in the dropdown list. Nice.

Why it was updated up till book 13 only instead of up to 15, the actual last book, is an other new mystery.

Anyway, glad this thing is actually being taken care off.

btw, any new of when the next megatome is coming?

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 am 
Sorry for the double posting, but I just noticed that the whole 15 books are now in the dropdown list.

So, everything is settled, now. Thanks a lot for taking care of this. Don't know who did the fix but thanks.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:43 am 
Pete was the one who fixed the navigation.

The site was moved/forced/upgraded to a new Next-Gen server a month ago. Now he can control everything that's going on with the site. But like most people, he still only has so much time to work on things before something else needs his time.

Board index » Chat Forums » Suggestions and Comments