Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:21 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Mounted heavy machine gun on swivel base with grenade launcher side attachment seems like something Felix would grab, yes.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:57 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Just out of curiosity; what is the backstory behind those weapons? When it was decided to load them in the first place, who or what were they supposed to be needed to kill? Armored megafauna of some kind? Or was it a matter of corruption and intrigue involving some arms merchants looking towards their next round of advertisements in the upcoming Janes yearly?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:28 am 
Felix' grenades are made from explosives originally intended to be used in mining, or clearing rubble. Exactly where the machine guns came from is a bit more of a mystery; a look over the ship's inventory suggests that whoever did the packing was given an immensely large budget and told to make sure there was at least one of everything, and to err on the side of including things rather than not including things.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
What I'm assuming is that the majority of the weapons on the ship are for responding to riots in a mostly nonlethal manner. Stun rods and tasers. Rifles and shotguns with a majority of ammunition being rubber and beanbag. Flash bangs, smoke grenades, tear gas and whatnot in throwing form and to be shot from riot issue grenade launchers. Plus the surplus CCC mentioned, which would have a little bit of everything, and the general use explosives for mining and clearing land.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I see. Btw; by heavy machine gun, do you mean water cooled .30 caliber or air cooled .50-.60 caliber?

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Dunno. I figure Felix would grab whichever has smaller ammo so he could pack more of it in smaller volume sizes, if there were even a difference at all. Most of the grenades he'd be packing for the launcher would be the riot issue tear and stun I mentioned above. Probably some incendiary and high explosive for nasty threats and show, but not a lot. We only need to decisively take out whatever we're facing, and most things we're facing won't care what kind of firepower we bring, only that it's already scary and devastating.

If the kind of turret would change your response, feel free to pick whichever since I have no clue what is what when it comes to this stuff.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The functional difference, aside from some maintenance issues, is that water cooled machine guns can fire forever so long as they have water and ammo. The .5-.6 inch weapons can obliterate small structures, shoot farther (aimed shots out to about a mile), and shoot through things...like schools...but need some consideration for overheating. Oh, and the larger guns have some ferocious recoil, you probably don't want to be doing any fancy driving while they're shooting. Either one wouldn't stretch the one-of-everything rationale worse than the other.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:28 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Well, that might come in handy if we're fighting a dragon but otherwise seems a bit much >.>

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:47 am 
I figured it was a 7.62 GPMG with a few spare barrels thrown in the back. It would be more then enough to punch through pretty much anything short of a heavy stone structure, which even a .50 cal wouldn't be able to do, and we'd have space for more ammo. If we need to engage at range or hit a hardened target then I'll have Nate pull a Barrett or similar rifle out of the back. With his gun score, he'd be able to engage a target at well over a mile away. If push comes to shove, it's not hard to improvise a mortar and/or rockets to really lay down the law.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Alright, this is driving me crazy. Three rolls and none of them higher than +3? I think the RNG is in a foul mood. Weremensh, can you have Arkady look into that during the trip as well? If you get a +4 result or above you'll hopefully learn more than Felix did.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Right. Just for clarity sake; this did not happen when the radios were tested back at the ship, right?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The backpack radio Felix is using needed some minor repair work before it could work and all the radios needed their batteries charged, which we did by charging them from the truck's alternators as we traveled. During the trip was our first use of long distance communications and our first experience with this interference that I'm aware of.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Thoughts on disarming ourselves? It seems like it'll be the easier, more diplomatic path going forward to come clean about our guns now.

Or Felix could try to bluff his way through, claiming our weapons are ceremonial artifacts (something which the good Knight we have with is knows for certain as NOT TRUE even though he's working with us so far and even the Baron might have some inklings as to what they are)

Or we could give up our weapons and hope they don't find the holdout handguns we've all got stashed away just in case something like this were to happen.

I don't want to decide that for us without everyone else chiming in on it. This is a fairly important decision.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:32 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Holdout weapons aside, it would be insanity to give up any ammo or explosives. It's all but certain that anything we hand over will be stolen by the local authorities; giving them ammo as well is just this side of suicidal for us and the crew. Though I suppose I should ask; is Arkady close enough to hear this conversation?

In passing, the weapons on that turret would be handy enough for sacrificial purposes. Absent ammo, no one could use them (even with ammo they'd be all but useless).

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Arkady is driving the truck with the turret, right? I don't think Felix ever got out of the back of the truck. He's still manning the turret, near as I can tell.

We can turn over the weapons, but we don't have to tell them what the ammo is or let them take it. Nor do we have to give them the grenades or explosives on the assumption that they never asked us to hand over grenades or explosives. If they ask, we can just make up some BS about them being good luck trinkets or something.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG