Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:20 pm 
Nate ponders.

"I don't like the idea of having to walk. It puts anyone on a horse at a decided advantage if anything goes south. I'd like to bring a vehicle, like a large car or truck, if we could. It gives us greater speed and mobility, and we can bring along far more gear anf supplies. Also, if it does come down to an army marching on the pandora we would be able to more effectively delay them using guerrilla warfare and hit-and-run tactics. Slow them from weeks to months, perhaps even cause them to lose cohesion altogether. Armies don't work too well without generals to lead them."

Nate pats his rifle.

"I would also recommend waking up a small security team and a dedicated languist to stay here at the ship. Help keep things locked down and deal with any more critters that wander into camp, and to have someone who can pick up the local language quickly so there's someone besides us who can speak it while we're away."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I'd propose waking up people capable of hunting and other survivalist type activities," Felix says in response to Nathan. "One hopes there is some skill overlap between people who can hunt and people who can fight. That way the colony can fill up its reserves of meat and other woodland delicacies such as wild herbs and vegetables as well as defend itself from the odd incursion. You'd want to triple check the skill registry before awakening them just to be sure, though."

Felix thinks for a moment. He continues, making sure he's speaking English.

"I'm not sure if bringing a vehicle is a good idea... If we have to walk there, it'd serve as an effective delaying tactic assuming the Baron is too stingy to just buy a cart from the nearby village for us to ride in. A five day ride by horse back would be much longer if we were forced to walk there. Of course, we could go in the opposite direction and bring the biggest most powerful vehicle we felt we could bring, with enough weapons to win a skirmish against any foe we have to fight. But if we did that we'd be making a show of force and they might not respond too kindly to that... If we show up and they hit us with all the magic they have in their arsenal to take us out, then there'd be nothing stopping their army as it marched toward the colony. It's the ultimate loss for our side."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:50 am 
"Bringing a vehicle would be a good way to show why they would want us as allies as well. A show of force as a display of what we could offer a potential ally."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Or it could be a good reason to send us to the gallows for someone that's already looking for an excuse."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:56 am 
"True, but then we have the oppertunity to show them why they don't want us as enemies."

Nathans grin is feral and he pats his rifle again.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:09 am 
"I believe your idea has merit," says Sir Bevier, speaking Elene. "I am... not well versed in politics, and even less so in the politics of Cimmura, the capital. I believe Sir Ulath will be better suited to understanding the political machinations, though he, too, is an outsider, hailing as he does from Thassalonia. At the same time, however, he has a strong grudge against the Baron Harparin in particular, which may bias him."

Piper looks up at Arkady when he asks his question, then takes his hand and squeezes it tightly.

Arkady: Empathy +4 Roll +1 Total: +5
Piper: Resolve: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5

"I'm going to veto taking a vehicle with intent to intimidate," says Captain Argent. "You'll be without supply lines, with only a handful of you facing an entire city. If you get into a fight with the city at all, you've already lost; even if your opposition is carrying nothing more lethal than big sticks. Even if we seriously consider the possibility that you could destroy a large city, that doesn't prevent the local army from wiping us out; and even if that was destroyed, their enemies would start paying attention to us. No, getting into a fight with the Elenes right now is functionally equivalent to getting into a fight with the entire planet, and that's a loss for us even if we somehow win the early battles."

"Having said that," he continues, "there is a good argument for small, unarmed vehicles, to awe them with our technological acumen, and I definitely want you taking along suitable weapons for self-defence purposes. Felix also has a good point; walking could be an effective delaying strategy, and what we really need more than anything else right now is delay."

"As for who to awaken; we'll try out the language program, and if it's insufficient for day-to-day use, we'll wake up a linguist when necessary. Until then, I agree that people who can both fight and hunt would be a good idea, covering several bases."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:22 am 
Fortune Roulette tagged: Arkady gains +2 on his Empathy roll

As Piper grasps Arkady's hand, Arkady looks her right in the eyes.

There's a trick to telling people's age by their eyes. It's unreliable - a twenty-year-old who grew up in the slums and participated in the War will have older eyes than a forty-year-old who never did anything exciting, and time spent cryogenically frozen doesn't change the estimate - but it's generally accurate, to within a decade or two. Before awaking, the oldest eyes that Arkady had ever seen had belonged to a man who was over a hundred years old on his deathbed, and had lived through two world wars and decades of harsh Russian winters.

Piper's eyes make that man look like an infant in comparison.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"If we take a vehicle, I'd suggest a light truck of some manner," Felix says. "Mount a machine gun or grenade launcher on the back for self defense and use the rest of the trunk space for supplies, fuel, whatever tech we want to bring and whatever diplomatic gifts we feel are best able to curry favor."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
With a wry smile and his suspicion partially confirmed, Arkady tells Piper: "Some of us have to go, little mother. If we do not deal with the men behind this baron by talking, then they will probably choose fighting. Talking hurts fewer people." With a slight shrug he squeezes her hand back lightly and adds: "Since one of those people is my wife, I am a bit biased."

He then glances over at the others: "I am perhaps remiss in missing this, but what is our fuel supply? And Sir Bevier; how far away can someone kill with a spell? How much damage can magic do to inanimate objects, especially complex machines? Can it interfere with their working properly? Take them over?"

Finally he glances over at the captain: "The translation program mostly needs vocabulary now. If the three of us spend an hour or so we can enter, say, the two or three thousand most common words in English and a tense or two for the verbs; that should be enough to get by with at first."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:28 am 
Piper smiles and, unless he objects in some manner, goes to sit on Arkady's lap and give him a hug and a kiss.

"Personally?" says Sir Bevier. "I can't. As one of a number of Knights chanting in unison, we can create a number of devastating spells, that destroy over a large area without care for friend or foe - giant storms that rain down lightning, walls of fire that sweep across the field, that sort of thing. Such spells need to be properly coordinated, and are very draining for all involved, but can strike anywhere within sight of the coordinator. I cannot, on my own, do enough with magic to actually kill; hence my sword."

"In general - a highly learned Styric sorcerer, or Zemoch priest, can do things that I cannot. I don't know what their limits are, precisely. I do know that a single caster will be significantly less destructive than a hundred knights chanting in unison, but I believe they can be more precise in their effects. Animate or inanimate makes no difference - when a wall of fire passes through an area, the things within it burn or melt, as they would due to any other fire. If the caster knows how a machine works, and can apply magic with sufficient precision, then I imagine he could interfere with its working in some manner - I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'taking them over', though."

David taps at his tablet a couple of times, and says "You've already got at least six thousand words in here. What do you really need to add?" Given that, the last time Felix, Nathan, or Arkady looked at the program, it had maybe six dozen words entered, this may come as a bit of a surprise.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:38 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady does not object. "Six thousand? Someone has been busy." He hugs her back, then turns to Sir Bevier: "Taking them over would mean using the controls of a machine with magic; pulling levers from far away, say."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:58 am 
"I suppose it's possible," says Sir Bevier. "I'm pretty sure the caster would need to have a very good understanding of both what the levers did and where the levers were, and I couldn't do anything anywhere near that precise, but... it might be possible."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:26 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Is there anything else we want to bring?" Felix asks. "So far we've get a light truck with mounted weapon for self defense, a long distance backpack radio to communicate with the ship, and whatever tech, tools and supplies we need for the journey. Is that everything?"

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:57 pm 
"A few bugs might not be a bad idea. Knowledge is power after all."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:28 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"That's a pretty good idea," Felix replies. "If we could manage to get one on the Regent or anyone else important it would guarantee a fountain of knowledge, or at the very least it could clue us in to when we've worn out our welcome."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG