Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:13 am 
They might not go bad, but they will leak charge; pretty near any battery that hasn't been charged over the last two or three centuries can be assumed to have gone flat (I don't know what Felix's night-vision scope is using for power). If you can charge them, then you can plug them into the ship and it'll use them...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:19 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Are you human?"

What I wouldn't give to be down there right now...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:20 am 
The non-rechargeables would still be good. I figure the recargeables are wired into the solar panels.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:00 am 
If there were any non-rechargables, they were wired into the power system and were counted in **POWER CRITICALLY LOW**.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Is she overlooking that I said we had sentient life or did you not include that part in my bullet pointed explanation?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:06 pm 
She's overlooking it. Not deliberately on her part, she's just a bit fuzzy from the cryosleep sickness, so she's responding to the things she has ready answers for and letting the rest slide for a few minutes while she tries to muzzily look around for lunch of some sort.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Even with her cryo sickness, can she add her medical skills to my science rolls for a bonus to rolls for waking other people up?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:37 pm 
Kajin wrote:
Even with her cryo sickness, can she add her medical skills to my science rolls for a bonus to rolls for waking other people up?

She can try. She certainly won't lower your science roll, and might be able to add a +1... assuming that she wants to, of course.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:26 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
And that was when Felix discovered that Doctor Vanderbilt was a recovering alcoholic.

EDIT
If Felix worked on restoring enough power to online the computers, is there any way they could route any excess power to specific functions on the ship like the medical wing? If we do that, they could bring the girl here and have Doctor Vanderbilt try and heal her. We could do that and they could pay us in food rations to help feed the crew members we wake up from torpor to help get the ship back online.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I added a new aspect and expanded on the trouble aspect to make it a little more clear what it's supposed to be about.
Quote:
Name: Felix False

High Concept:
Colonial Environmental Manager
Felix is a civilian engineer with expertise in the fields of environmental management and mechanical engineering. He specializes in heat management. Keeping cool the areas that need to be cool and keeping warm the areas that need to be warm. That's a tough job in space with a great many cryogenically frozen passengers, and it'll be even tougher when they make planetfall and need to start building habitats that have to withstand local conditions.

Trouble:
Rambunctious Knave
A joyful and rowdy man, Felix is not above certain kinds of shady enterprise. Whether it be trading in various contraband or setting up an illicit gambling stall, Felix doesn't mind dipping his hand into things that might get him into trouble. With a laugh and a smile he dives headlong into things that could cause him quite a bit of grief if he gets caught. Sometimes to help a friend. Sometimes to make a buck. Sometimes just for the sheer fun of it.

Aspect:
Pride Comes Before the Fall
Nothing angers Felix more than someone with an undeserved chip on their shoulder. Someone with a position of power, real or imagined, and they're using it to look down on those who have less power? Someone who abuses their power just to make other people miserable or gloat over them? Felix greatly relishes watching such people fall and it won't take much convincing to get him in on a trick that'll make a smug jackass look the fool.

Aspect:
Entrepreneurial Streak
One of Felix's passing hobbies is the study of economics and the value of goods. He comes from a family of business owners and stockbrokers, and a lot of their predilections rubbed off on him. Pretty useless for a colonist, but that doesn't mean that Felix doesn't exercise his skills in his off time. If you need it and are willing to pay or barter for it, he might know a guy that can get it for you. For a finder's fee, of course. Cigarettes, extra dessert rations, posters for your room, he's the guy to go to.

Aspect:
Laser Focus
Felix is someone that can focus. Once we puts his mind behind something he can see it through to the end with nothing more than his raw determination and ability to zero in on his objectives with a focus that's laser-like in its precision. Unfortunately, this means he's also prone to tunnel vision. Once he starts to focus on something it can blind him to other things that need doing. If someone earns his ire in combat he might focus on them exclusively, ignoring more opportune targets or leaving him open to attacks from other opponents he's not paying attention to.

Guest Star Adventure w/ Nathan Snow (balthazar):
Fortune Roulette
Everyone else in the world is pretty average, all things considered. Their days are average, their lives are average, and the events that play in between start and finish are most decidedly average. Felix's life is average, too. Though maybe it's better to say that it rounds out to about average. The course of his life is punctuated with many highs and many lows. A great many tales of vast fortune, lucky breaks, and splendid recoveries can often be found to begin or end with a disastrous turn of events.
(This is a guest story with Nathan Snow. I've not written it up yet but the overall theme is of luck in dealing with The Order. Bad luck that cause things to spiral out of control and good luck that ties everything neatly by the story's end. I'll add it here once I've written it)

Skills:
Engineering +5
Contacting, Gambling +4
Science, Rapport, Leadership +3
Alertness, Empathy, Endurance, Guns +2
Might, Athletics, Resolve, Weapons, Survival +1

Stunts:
Personal Gadget (Targeting Visor for Bonus to Guns)(Engineering)
Universal Gadget (Engineering)
Gambling Man (Gambling)
Ladies Man (Rapport)
Blather (Rapport)

Last edited by Kajin on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 am 
Quote:
If Felix worked on restoring enough power to online the computers, is there any way they could route any excess power to specific functions on the ship like the medical wing? If we do that, they could bring the girl here and have Doctor Vanderbilt try and heal her. We could do that and they could pay us in food rations to help feed the crew members we wake up from torpor to help get the ship back online.

Once you have enough power to run non-essential systems alongside the essential ones, then you can choose which specific non-essential systems to run, yes.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I've been thinking. Can I trade my Resources skill for something else? Like maybe Leadership? I don't think Resources is going to be all that useful to me since my character has no personal wealth to speak of.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:50 pm 
...you are perfectly correct, and I should have spotted that. Feel free to swap out Resources for whatever you like.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I was thinking it might have been useful as some manner of trade skill for figuring out the value of items to sell to local merchants but after some thought I figure that would best be covered by some combination of Contacting and Rapport for negotiations.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 pm 
Yeah, that makes sense. Resources can sidle back in later, once you've had a chance to build up relations with local merchants.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG