Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:29 pm 
Heh, the establishment is out for blood. Check out this article with something like 20 conservative thinkers on a conservative website explaining why Trump should never, ever, ever, get the nomination.

National Review article http://www.nationalreview.com/article/430126/donald-trump-conservatives-oppose-nomination

And it's not just guys with disposable credentials; Dana Loesch, Glenn Beck, Brent Bozell, Bill Kristol, Mark Helprin to name a few.

*pulls out a bag of popcorn* This is gonna be fun!

The other thing to consider is that not only does the establishment not like Teddy, neither do the SuperPAC types who had their big guns behind Jeb! as the man to beat. You're not going to convince guys like Sheldon Adelson to give Ted Cruz money - too right wing, not pro-Israel enough.

I keep waiting for a big surge from one of the less nutty candidates out of that field but I think that horse has left the barn. It's simply too late in the primary process for anything short of Trump dropping dead to derail his train to the nomination, and I've heard that being a son-of-a-b@#$% is good for your health. You can't even hope for a massive gaffe with Trump, he's already said 17 batpoop things that should have gotten him stopped dead and yet he's still the frontrunner.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:45 am 
There is literally nothing Trump could say that would turn off his fans, short of announcing that he's joining a gay pride parade and donating his fortune to Palestinian orphans. He just said that he would kill terrorists' families, and his crowd cheered. Bill O'Reilly was appalled. I never thought I would miss Bill O'Reilly.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 am 
Kea wrote:
He just said that he would kill terrorists' families, and his crowd cheered. Bill O'Reilly was appalled. I never thought I would miss Bill O'Reilly.

Now, to be completely fair, this is not necessarily an out of bounds idea considering that the general ethos of the Islamic terrorist besides religious fundamentalism is family based - a threat to an individual terrorist, meh... but threaten his entire family and maybe he thinks twice. Having said that, it's a questionable idea that probably degrades the morality of the country utilizing that set of tactics, much like using torture in interrogating terror suspects.

Probably not something that one does in the open, but hey, if a Hellfire happens to fall off of a drone and blow up a known terrorist's Mom, Dad, wife, children and dog... it's deniable and it's probably already happening. That's the thing I wish someone would bring out into the sunlight more than anything else, but if a Democratic president can get away with it for 8 years...

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 am 
War is war. There is always collateral damage but deliberately targeting civilians is a war crime. And what would he do about domestic terrorists? Every wack job who self-radicalizes on the internet and shoots up a shopping mall. Should the government round up their families and have them shot?

This is what Trump does. He says crazy stuff and then when challenged, he doubles down and gets the media to report his latest brain fart as though it was a legitimate position, and then people start to think that maybe what he's saying is reasonable.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 pm 
Plus, what do terrorists need?
Young men and women, who passionatly hate the enemy (the West or whatever).
What would be a good way to increase their numbers?
Send the enemies military to kill some grandmothers.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:40 am 
So Cruz won the Iowa caucus (1). Cruz, who is every bit as nasty as Trump but actually believes what he is saying. Hooboy.

(1) Caucuses and primaries are still a bit of a mystery to me. Who came up with such a wack system?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:15 am 
It seems that the consensus in our (Austrian) media now is, that Rubio has the best overall chances to get the Republican nomination. Since Trump underperformed and Iowa Republicans tend more toward religious extremists and general Republicans.

Though i also have read somewhere the opinion that the Trump campaining style is more suited for primaries then cahcuses.

I guess it depends a lot about how many Trump supporters actually support his platform, rather then being drawn in by strong man and winner type bluster and get desillusioned after the first defeat.

What i have heared about Rubio sofar could be summarized as "anti establishment candidate, who is well connected in the establishment". Which would suggest that i definitly would not feel well to buy a used car from him, but he likely has more political skill then a megalomanic strong man or a dogmatic ideologist.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:30 pm 
Well, boys and girls, Trump is looking more and more real by the day. Three states in, he's won two of them pretty handily.

Bush just pulled the pin, Rubio looks like this "Mr. Roboto" that Chris Christie stuck on him may just sink him, and Cruz is still unlikeable.

This is actually going to happen... reality TV star and holder of no office ever looks likely to get the nod on the GOP side.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:47 pm 
Now that all the sane people have been weeded out of the Republican primary, Trump is starting to look like the least bad of the Republican field, and that's a really low bar to clear. Both Cruz and Rubio are hawking the absolute worst aspects of Dubya, magnified. It's all tax-cuts-for-the-rich-torture-is-great-let's-start-more-wars-climate-change-is-a-hoax-facts-are-for-chumps. They're all about equally bigoted against immigrants and Muslims. Trump is the only one who occasionally breaks from Republican party orthodoxy, but that's because he's a narcissistic loon. It's a choice between 3 different kinds of crazy at this point.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:54 pm 
Kea wrote:
Now that all the sane people have been weeded out of the Republican primary, Trump is starting to look like the least bad of the Republican field, and that's a really low bar to clear.

Kasich is still in. I've always loathed him as our (Ohio's) governor, but compared to the rest of the Republican field he stands as a paragon of all virtues.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:54 pm 
He came second, once, right? But does he have any realistic chance of beating Cruz or Rubio?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:58 am 
The deceptive thing about the primaries process in the US is regional differences. Kasich is counting on a late surge of support once the battle shifts to Midwestern and Northern states. Cruz and Rubio are expected to be strong in the South. Trump is a complete wild card.

There's basically 2 lanes in the GOP race right now. Trump and Cruz are battling for the outsider lane, with Trump the clear victor. Kasich and Rubio are the only ones left in the establishment lane, with Rubio ahead, but not decisively.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:07 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Right - the first four states were selected for being kind of weird. Kasich might do his best in normal states.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:36 pm 
So Trump is still winning. The Republicans are running out of time to get rid of him. And Bernie appears to be stumbling. I'm probably going to be unpopular here but I wouldn't mind a Clinton candidacy. I must be turning into an old, conventional realist. Clinton isn't likeable. She's not idealistic. And she probably isn't even particularly trustworthy (no more than other career politician). But I do believe she's capable, and tough, and she won't waste time trying to preemptively compromise with the Republicans as long as the extremists are driving their bus, like Obama did.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:08 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I wouldn't mind Clinton either. I'm still hoping Sanders will pull it out though. My impression of Clinton is that she's another centrist just like Obama. I truly believe the country needs an actual lefty which is why I'm rooting for Sanders. But yeah it doesn't look good for him.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts