Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:46 pm 
Quote:
Sick of discovering the deepest darkest secrets of your fellow bus patrons?
Tired of dropping like a stone in the middle of the sidewalk and waiting for your mind and body to resync?
Ever wish you could just set someone on fire by thinking about it REALLY HARD? Ever done it “by accident?”

Well, we here at the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education need members like you! PHYSCE is a growing organization dedicated to the study and advancement of YOUR special talents whatever they might be, but mostly we’re looking for psychics or those who think they might be psychic. Don’t worry, we’ll scan your brain at the door for the potential.

Train yourself to block out the most disturbing of surface thoughts. Learn how to delve into the minds of others and mentally project into the human subconscious. Set stuff on fire! Learn all this and more when you join PHYSCE today!

P!H!Y!S!C!E!

We meet Monday, Wednesday, Friday, from 5 to 8, and Saturdays from 10 to 2 in the Geller Library on South Cox Street. Look for the big green brain! Snacks will be provided.

“Chamille, have you the basest knowledge of what erroneous mistakes appear on this flyer?”

“Too many exclamation marks?”

“Of utmost import, our name is not correct.”

“So I shouldn’t have printed 3000 of these and put them up all over the city?”

“You are a testament to the species, Chamille. If mankind were to learn from your example, we may yet return to the glorious days of yesteryear, and begin painting on cave walls once more.”

“Thanks Fred.”

“T’was sarcasm, m’lady.”

“Of course it was.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello friends and fellow roleplayers. I'm here to establish a new RP for the board. Tentatively called PSYCHE (Intentionally misspelled on everything else), I'm looking to make a Psychonauts-esque campaign full of weirdos, freaks, geeks, and psychics. I'm looking for somewhere between 4 to 8 players, and this shall be the thread wherein I explain the system, demonstrate characters, and answer questions as best I can! I'm going for something light-hearted, and relatively simple. The system is a WIP, so at any point, feel free to chime in with ideas and suggestions.

Post if you're interested, and then submit a general outline of the character as shown in the below post. Stats will be dealt with as soon as members are selected.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:53 pm 
Welcome to PHYSCE! Please fill out the following safety waiver before applying for our organization, and especially before attempting any head trips.

I, (Insert Full Name Here), age (Insert Age Here), being a (Insert Gender Here) of sound body and unstable mind, hereby submit my application to the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education (PHYSCE).

Please attach a photo of yourself here:

(Insert Lovely Self-Descriptor or Photo Here)

I submit the following description substituting for a proper background check. (Remember, we can tell when you’re lying!)

(Insert Inspiring Tale/Sob Story/Telenovella/Autobiography Here)

I would be a good fit for the PHYSCE organization because of the following personality traits, despite whatever deep rooted psychological issues I have yet to work out.

(Insert Character Traits and Flaws Here)

I offer to PHYSCE my skills in (Insert Skill Here), as well as other services in exchange for their assistance in honing and controlling my powers in every other area that I’m lacking. (If you aren’t sure how to describe your power, come talk with one of us and we’ll let you know if it’s got a sciency Latin name. Or we’ll make one up!)

Finally, I submit the following interesting facts about myself, so that they may be used as blackmail, bribery, entertainment, or secret government research.

(Insert Fun Facts and Additional Details Here)

By signing this form I am relieving PHYSCE of all blame for harm that may be caused by the projects, experiments, and activities held herein, including but not limited to: Cuts, Bruising, Maiming, Loss of Limbs, Amnesia, Spontaneous Combustion, Premeditated Combustion, Psychological Damage, Amnesia, Bear Attack, Puma Attack, Bear-Puma Attack, Deja Vu, Amnesia, Rabies, Scabies, Babies, Insomnia, Narcolepsy, Macrame Accidents, Hyperglycemia, Hypoglycemia, Hypnoglycemia, Lyme Disease, Lemon-Lyme Disease, Heart Palpitations, Heart Explosions, Death, Amnesia, and the Common Cold.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, general rules of thumb:

The characters currently in PHYSCE are teenagers, ranging from 12 to 16. This does NOT preclude older characters, but it will need some serious explaining.
The Picture can be a description or a drawing. Don't care. It's a general idea anyways.
The Bio section is meant to be stop-gap. Basic information that you're okay with sharing to the rest of the group. I'll expect a PM with the full bio if/when you get selected, for...reasons.
The "Skill" section is a free-for-all bit. Think of literally any psychic power at all. Electrokinesis, Emotion Bombs, Invisibility, Telekinesis, Levitation, Teleportation, Anything. Provided it isn't broken (I will let you know, so go nuts until told otherwise) we'll give it a name, and tweak it. It will affect some of your stats later on, but that's minor. The big point is, this skill is your specialty.
Fun Facts are anything you want to put in that don't seem to fit in any other category.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:35 pm 
Now, stat building will not come into play until after the party members have been selected, but I will explain the basics here.

There are only three stats in this game:
Empathics, Synaptics, and Kinetics.

Empathics represent a psychics ability to read other people. This subset of abilities allow for the reading of minds, the manipulation of emotional states, the ability to take control of others, improving ones self-image in the eyes of others, fixing other peoples minds, etc. Simply put, this is the psychic power that effects someone's mind. This stat is also responsible for your speed (subconsciously, I know what you're thinking, so I can react faster than you move), your charisma (I'm not the psychic you're looking for), and your ability to "recharge." When you're in someone else's noodle, you a lot of focus just to not get kicked out. The better your Empathy, the better you can hold on, and make use of your other abilities.

Empathic abilities hit harder on the more Synaptic Psychics, due to their reliance on brain power.

Synaptics represent a psychic's ability to manipulate energy. This subset of abilities allows for the ability to turn thought into a beam weapon, the manipulation of the elements, the ability to read and generate auras, the ability to teleport, the ability to look into the past, or future based on lingering energy in the object, etc. This stat is also responsible for your mental energy (MAH BRAIN IS HUGE), your mental defense (I think you're thinking what I'm thinking and I don't like that thought), and your observational skills. The higher this stat, the more often you can use your abilities, and the more often you can find weaknesses in your enemies.

Synaptic abilities hit harder on the more Kinetic Psychics, due to their reliance on physical prowess rather than mental fortitude.

Kinetics represents a psychics ability to manipulate the physical world. This subset of abilities allows for the movement of objects with only the mind, the ability to project barriers, the ability to increase or decrease size, the ability to lift objects far beyond the physical capability, the ability to create objects out of nothing, etc. This stat is also responsible for your Physical health (It's like exercise, just with a different muscle), your endurance (Why yes, I do lift), and your ability to perform any sort of other physical feat. The higher this stat is, the more damage you can take from others, and the better equipped you'll be if you have trouble getting your focus right.

Kinetic abilities hit harder on the more Empathic Psychics, due to their reliance on dodging blows, rather than taking them.

I'm working on an exact skill tree for the moment, but for the moment, ask and I'll give a proper category for whatever skill you ask about.
In addition, due to the blurriness of psychic powers, some abilities are available in both sections, but they will come easier to one type than another.

Next up, the founding members of PHYSCE!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:32 pm 
Your President (For Life or Until She Gets Bored)

Name: Chamille Temps

Appearance: Chamille stands about four feet and five inches tall, but in her thick combat boots, she reaches a towering four foot seven. She has a somewhat waif-ish figure, which is off-put by her noticeably larger head. Her shoulder-length blonde hair is messy, and pulled back into what she calls "proper pigtails" in that, they are curly. She arms herself with a large pair of goggles, smoky and cracked, but still functional, which can likely be explained by the filthy lab coat she wears over her school's uniform. It's a somewhat typical blue blouse, and skirt, but they too seem to be marked by some unknown process involving two beakers, a chemical that smells like tomatoes, and one car battery.

Bio: Chamille is known as the "freaky-weirdo-loser" at the Acht School for Notoriously Proper Children, not that she seems to notice. She's been far too busy using the girl's restroom on the third floor as her own laboratory, experimenting with her psychic abilities, and various other insane devices and chemicals. Thanks to her efforts, the entire floor now has the permanent smell of ammonia. Whether from the cleaning solution of the overworked janitors, or some horrible science project gone wrong, no one is completely sure. Being as scatter-brained and excitable as a dog strapped to a Furby, Chamille jumped from one project to another until she finally stumbled onto the brilliant idea of forming a club for psychics! After all, she was a powerful psychic, and what better way to get data on psychics without excessive biasing than to get a big group of them together and lead them on adventures and into the possibly dangerous territory of the collective unconscious? The idea was rejected very quickly by the school-board following their emergency meeting (Alarm B-24, AKA Code Temps), before she decided to forgo the school mandated clubs and just form her own one outside of the boundaries of the walls of education. After checking out several potential locations, she settled on the Geller Library, mostly for the fact that the back rooms were quiet, and no one really noticed when she snuck in cookies. Also, it was close to the police station, as mandated. From there she used her innate abilities to track down some other local powers, and ring them into her circle of "Friends." Regardless of their opinion on the idea.

Personality: Chamille is hyperactive, scatter-brained, impulsive, and prone to jumping at the first thought that pops into her head, rarely taking the time to think those ideas all the way to a conclusion because seriously, what good is a conclusion if you can't jump to it, that's the most fun way to reach them! Despite that, she is a rather intelligent person, and her psychic abilities are not to be underestimated. She may not be a master of any particular skill, but her constant experimentation with those abilities means she has a pretty good grasp on a wide variety of them. Chamille tends not to grasp social cues terribly well, and as a result, is generally unaffected by sarcasm, biting comments, or general unfriendliness. She loves the people that hang out with her, and the people that talk to her, and the people that want to join her club, and psychics in general, and that one guy down the road who washes cars with a toothbrush, and just about everything! It can get a bit tiring for those around her, but she truly does mean well. Probably.

Fun Facts: Chamille has had a numerous array of hobbies, almost all of which have resulted in some sort of warrant, and restraining order by some company, person, or place. The reasoning behind the club's meeting schedule is in part due to school hours, and in part due to the mandatory community service she does on Tuesday, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays. She maintains a 3.2 Average in at Acht, and is no longer allowed in Detention.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:11 am 
Your V.P. (Or Something)

Name: Anson von Vogt

Appearance: It's hard to get a good read on what exactly Anson looks like, largely due to that fact that he constantly wears a very thick white snow jacket, a toque, sunglasses, and white ski pants. In fact, the only part of him that's visible is his nose, which is dark in color. The only other definitive thing about him is that his voice is very masculine, and that he is quite big. Even though the surrounding area is not frequently that cold, Anson never seems to sweat or complain about the heat of his outfit, though he definitely seems to feel more comfortable when he's inside and subsequently can turn the AC down excessively. Limits have been set, much to his chagrin, but he manages to sneak it every now and again to frosty levels.

Bio: Not much is really known about Anson. He shows up for the meetings, turns down the AC, and guards the food table, but that's about it. The most words ever gotten out of him at any one point are: "Is good be cool." Telepathically, of course, because that seems to be his main method of communication, the few times he does communicate. It's distinctly possible that English isn't his first language, but it's a bit hard to place whatever accent it is that he has, and subsequently what his native tongue is, but that hasn't stopped Chamille from trying. Of the founding members, Anson is the only one who came to them, albeit it was as a result of him walking into their first meeting, saying "Cool" and being stared at confusedly. From there he simply sat down, and seemed to enjoy the company. Since then he's come back for every meeting, occasionally reacting with actual movement and emotion, but mostly just being present in the group. The one time they attempted to test his psychic ability beyond basic telepathy, the group discovered that he's a very talented Kinetic Psychic, with a focus on projection and barriers. His "fists" have been able to toss a bookshelf from one end of the library clear to the other. Of course, that was not the intended experiment, and It took the combined efforts of the other three members to stop the books and bookshelf from crashing into Old Lady Flannagan, and in general causing a mess they couldn't afford to pay for. He has subsequently been informed to not follow any tests in the real world ever again.

Personality: Anson is quiet, and somewhat menacing in attitude. He's quiet, large, intimidating, and very territorial when it comes to the food table. He's openly growled at people that attempted to get too close, and more often than not simply puts a barrier around the entirety of the snacks, leaving them only accessible to him. This often leads to berating from the other members, to varying degrees of success. Anson seems to tolerate Chamille's hyperactivity, occasionally listening to her requests, appreciates the neatness and hostility of Frederic, frequently sitting close to him when the snack table is missing, and pays absolutely no attention to Elysia whatsoever, despite her best efforts. He's not exactly the most congenial of club members, but hey, he hasn't tried to kill anyone. On purpose at least. The bookshelf was, again, largely an accident.

Fun Facts: The only reason the club knows his name is due to his student I.D. Chamille swiped from his wallet, which puts him at the Messing Recently Reformed Reform School. Anson has little understanding of idioms, slang, and other such jargon, and as such things frequently go over his head. Anson is also no longer allowed at the Zuri Municipal County Zoo due to unexplained reasons, again, only noted because he was thrown out on "Club Field Trip" to see if there might be some secret psychic animals.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:50 am 
Your Treasurer (Because Someone Has to Fund This Club of Miscreants)

Name: Frederic Cumberland

Appearance: Despite being the shortest and youngest member of the founders, Frederic carries himself and dresses himself the most "maturely." He can always be seen with his dark black hair slicked back and all but glued to his scalp, his robust nose and eyebrows more often than not turned upward, and his sharp grey eyes looking down. This proves generally inefficient due to his shortness, but it's the thought that counts. As for clothing, he wears a very well pressed black tuxedo, that is tailor fit to his small stature, and is very clearly made of some high quality material. His hands are constantly covered in a pair of white gloves, which he can more often than not be seen using as a tool for measuring how much filth is on whatever surface he's unfortunate enough to be touching next. If, on some rare occasion, he should open the tuxedo jacket, there is a very distinct lining of cleaning supplies, complete with antibacterial spray, wipes, handkerchief, feather duster, dust pan, brush, frilly white apron, and pH balance set. The padding of the jacket hides it all surprisingly well.

Bio: Frederic was actually the first member recruited by Chamille. He was located in his middle school (The S. Choir College of Artistic Appreciation), telling off a crowd of prepubescent neanderthals for their distinct lack of appreciation for the art of minuscule equestrians, and such related subjects. That and generally commenting on their behavior, stench, appearance, grades, personal secrets, and general thoughts of not only himself, but of each other, and even their own opinions of self-worth. It was very clear to Chamille that Fred was a psychic (and also that he had a very good, if somewhat filthy, vocabulary). It took all of approximately sixteen minutes for her to bother the young boy enough to get him to join the newly formed club. In part, in order to cause the incessant chattering to cease, but also in part because Chamille was the first other psychic he'd met ever. She wasn't as easy to read, and despite the behavior even more immature than himself, she did display enough complexity of thought (in his opinion) to at least consider the offer. He initially expected to be handed the role of Vice President due to his first picked nature, but was quickly delegated to Treasurer because, as Chamille stated "You're much too cute to be the VP, you need to probably manage the money because you look like you'd be good at that I mean that tuxedo is just so adorable, and must be expensive so no, you'll be assigned the position of Most Honoradorable Treasurer." His fuming has technically yet to cease, but he hides it well behind a veil of sarcasm, blatant insults, and outright detest of his "elders." And yet, despite that, he does handle the money (and cleaning) for the club exceptionally well. Especially since he provides it all.

Personality: Frederic is a haughty, arrogant, short-tempered little gentleman. He considers himself to be the absolute peak of human intelligence, and feels that everyone else is so far below him as to be nearly sub-human. That being said, he puts up with other psychics a lot better than he does most normal people, and he puts up with psychics that aren't Chamille or Anson almost amicably. This is, in no small part, due to the fact that Frederic has a particular talent for telepathy, outranking any other skill he's ever picked up. As such, he unintentionally picks up a very large amount of others thoughts, and while they are sometimes coherent and interesting, the vast majority of the time, people think about stupid things, and he can hear all of it. To him, the world is full of people blaring terrible music from loud, gassy cars, while screaming into their cell phones how much they enjoy the films of Menoj Benjamin Wood. It's not incredibly hard to reach that level of anger as a result. Frederic is also, in an attempt to uphold his general facade of gentlemanity, an absolute, obsessive cleaner. Everything in the nearby vicinity MUST be free of crumbs, dirt, debris, garbage, foul odors, bodily fluids, sugary beverages, dust, Chamille, dander, pollen, and fur. Even the slightest of hairs out of place on his head is enough to warrant a twenty minute comb-over and follicle examination; the slightest cookie bit dropped on the floor enough to make him physically ill unless properly picked up; the slightest of B.O. to result in an overload of deodorant, perfume or cologne, and air freshener, and a very intense scrubbing of nearby surfaces. The library tends to be happy about this, but the patrons are getting wary of breathing too close to the P.H.Y.S.C.E. room.

Fun Facts: Frederic's family is the proud owner of over fifteen different television networks, each of varying degrees of success, which has resulted in a very large fortune for the young jerk. He in turn has used said fortune to acquire a closet completely composed of exactly identical suits. Additionally, despite his haughtiness, he is indeed a very smart child, and The S. Choir College has been producing well-respected members of society for years, though most don't get into the school until their early twenties.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 am 
Your Secretary (May Her Ancestors Bless the Position and All Who May Fill It In the Future Which Has Been Set in Stone)

Name: Elysia Hee Young Blavatsky

Appearance: Elysia is the tallest member of the P.H.Y.S.C.E. club, though ends up looking like a stick when compared to the much bulkier (probably?) Anson. Her hair is a long, silky black, cut very straight and precisely, in an order that completely contradicts the rest of her appearance. Elysia tends to wear very elaborate garments laced with holy symbols from various cultures, as well as wards, charms, rings, and amulets for protection against various supernatural beings, and a headband with two battery powered candles. The original wax candles were not permitted within the library, and she refused to go without them, so a compromise was made. Additionally, Elysia also always smells a little bit like garlic. Her outfits all fall on the very colorful side, sometimes even going so far as to show incredibly cluttered scenes or actual near copies of paintings, but always offset by the ridiculous amounts of metal and wood she wears around her neck. There tends to be something of a mix between European and Asian influences in her choices of protection, due to her Korean heritage, and her adopted family's European roots.

Bio: Elysia did not, at one point, dress as she does now, nor did she believe so firmly in the existence of the paranormal. However, following an accident in her youth, Elysia found herself haunted by what she perceived as ghosts, on a fairly regular basis. It wasn't exactly dangerous, mostly just sort of annoying. She would be eating breakfast and then some long dead person would appear in front of her, babble about some sort of significance of the plastic cereal bowl she was eating out of, then disappear into the ether. Another would show up in the middle of a test, and yammer away about all the times her teacher skipped out on dating because "Education was more important," and "I'll have kids when I get older," and "Look, okay, I get it, you want grand kids Mom, why don't you bother Tony about it, it's always me," and keep interrupting Elysia's thought process. There were a few that proved more ominous, more frightening, but all in all, it just seemed to be random nonsense. So Elysia read up on the supernatural, and decided to wear a charm or two to keep the spirits away. When that didn't work, she upped the amount. And so it went until she was covered near head to toe in symbols and spells and sigils that only seemed to make the problem worse. It wasn't until Chamille's member hunt led her to the Aquinas Public School and then Elysia, that the girl discovered she was actually experiencing pre- and post-cognitive visions. Not that it really ended up changing anything. Due to Chamille's rapid explanation of the events, Elysia got a bit mixed up, and her personal definition of the ability ended up somewhere between Shaman Blessed by the Dead and Psychic. Regardless of the definition, Elysia's come to understand her powers a bit better, and channel them more favorably, resulting in, among other things, excellent note taking skills, and the ability to show her "ghosts" to other psychics, should the need arise. It did have the unfortunate side effect of making her thank the dead and her ancestors for some rather odd things, but hey, not everything is perfect.

Personality: Elysia is an incredibly graceful, grateful, and kind person. Who is deathly afraid of supernatural events and phenomenon. After all, if psychics and ghosts exist, then whose to say that other things like goblins and vampires and Haetae and Imugi don't? Elysia tends to get overly complicated in regards to personal greetings, goodbyes, thank yous, and general appreciation to anything and anyone, often resulting in the normally quiet young woman bursting into a soliloquy about how absolutely and in the original definition of the word awesome it was that you could spare the time to give her the time by looking at the magnificent device located on your wrist, followed by a generous bow and a thank you to her ancestors for leading her into the same direction as such a wonderful person who had a wristwatch. Outside of that particular subset though, Elysia enjoys simple things and has quite a few hobbies that she enjoys sharing with the others in her group. Of the four members, she's the most socially adjusted, and has quite a few friends who merely think of her as "quirky" as opposed to "insane," "killjoy," or "loner freak."

Fun Facts: Elysia is in two other clubs sponsored by Aquilas Public High School: The Tea Ceremony Club, and the Gardening Club. In addition, she's the only member of the club to have a consistent job, working at a local pet store owned by her adopted mother, Phyllis. For this reason, she's the least consistent when it comes to showing up of the four founders, but her abilities mean she can make the notes literally by having a sheet of paper at the meeting, regardless of her own appearance there. Her name before adoption was Elysia Hee Young Min. She doesn't often talk about her former family.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:29 am 
And that, roughly, is the founding members of P.H.Y.S.C.E.

Hopefully this gives you all an idea of the kind of general tone and levity of the campaign, as well as potentially stirring up your own ideas for characters to send in!

Again, if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask, and I will answer as best I can. I'm looking to have this prepped and going by the 6th, so we'll say that submissions are due by the 31st of August.

Highlighted again for importance:

SUBMISSIONS DUE BY THE 31ST OF AUGUST.

Have fun!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Got a concept in place now so need to build it.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:26 pm 
I, "Riley Patron", age "15", being a "Male" of sound body and unstable mind, hereby submit my application to the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education (PHYSCE).

I submit the following description substituting for a proper background check. (Remember, we can tell when you’re lying!)

"I used to not believe in things like ghosts, aliens, etc., however, an incident has shown me the truth. I was attending some public school - which shall remain nameless for now - and had met a strange girl. After talking for a bit she asked if I wanted to help start a club of gamers. I accepted her offer, and things went downhill really fast after that. We managed to get a few others into our club, and held "meetings" (really just weekly game nights) every Thursday. Three weeks later, I was running late - I fell asleep in class, again - and was making my way to the clubroom. However, a flash of light blinded me. When I could finally see, I was somewhere I had never seen before. It was a long empt corridor with dark, metal walls and a single door at the end. I went for the door and was greeted by a tall, pale creature. It spoke in a language I had never heard before, then knocked me out. I actually only remember there being a sharp pain in my head, but I know he must have done something. Later, I woke up just outside of the school. It was late, everyone was gone and my head was killing me. On my way home I saw a lot of people, even recognized a few. Especially, my dead parents, who were hit by a drunk driver as they were crossing the street. The club has not been brought back. That was two years ago."

I would be a good fit for the PHYSCE organization because of the following personality traits, despite whatever deep rooted psychological issues I have yet to work out.

"I am a man of few words, to say the very least. It's not like I have a horrendous vocabulary, I just don't like talking to others very often. I also tend to know how others feel, and sometimes can even get a read on their thoughts. I am very serious most of the time, but I can crack a few jokes every now and then. Something I've noticed about myself, is that I can never seem to let my friends down. I have let down one friend in my entire life, and I still beat myself up for it occasionally. I do not let my feelings get in any of my friends' ways either. If I feel like something is up with one of them, I'll ask, and if they refuse my offer for help, I stand by and let them do what they feel they need to do."

I offer to PHYSCE my skills in "Empathy (reading other's emotions and thoughts)", as well as other services in exchange for their assistance in honing and controlling my powers in every other area that I’m lacking. (If you aren’t sure how to describe your power, come talk with one of us and we’ll let you know if it’s got a sciency Latin name. Or we’ll make one up!)

Finally, I submit the following interesting facts about myself, so that they may be used as blackmail, bribery, entertainment, or secret government research.

"A lot of people ask about the scar on my eye. All I know about it is that it must be what that "alien" did to me, and the reason I can see ghosts and feel other people's emotions. The discolored eye must just be a side effect. I can see my parents follow me closely, and anyone else who can see spirits would see them as well, standing side-by-side right behind me."

By signing this form I am relieving PHYSCE of all blame for harm that may be caused by the projects, experiments, and activities held herein, including but not limited to: Cuts, Bruising, Maiming, Loss of Limbs, Amnesia, Spontaneous Combustion, Premeditated Combustion, Psychological Damage, Amnesia, Bear Attack, Puma Attack, Bear-Puma Attack, Deja Vu, Amnesia, Rabies, Scabies, Babies, Insomnia, Narcolepsy, Macrame Accidents, Hyperglycemia, Hypoglycemia, Hypnoglycemia, Lyme Disease, Lemon-Lyme Disease, Heart Palpitations, Heart Explosions, Death, Amnesia, and the Common Cold.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:39 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Been busy on this end of things. I still need to look into getting a character set up for this.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02 pm 
So the first has rolled around, and I've received only two official submissions.

Gonna extend the deadline to two more weeks, just in case, but by the 15th, I'd really like to see something from those that have talked about joining.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:23 pm 
ThyLordQ wrote:
Welcome to PHYSCE! Please fill out the following safety waiver before applying for our organization, and especially before attempting any head trips.

I, Edward Lumen , age . 14 , being a male of sound body and [strikeout]un[/strikeout]stable mind, hereby submit my application to the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education (PHYSCE).

I have pale brown hair and blue eyes. My nose is 2.3% larger than average, and I have twenty-seven freckles. I wear large, fairly thick spectacles to correct a minor vision malfunction, and enjoy reading.

I am the youngest of two siblings. My father runs a minor publishing house; my mother is an author of minor renown, and publishes all her stories through my father's company. This arrangement predates their marriage. My elder sister, Sally Lumen, works in the local constabulary, and wishes it to be made quite clear that, despite any rumours that you may hear, her middle name is not "Forth". I am homeschooled with the help of a tutor, Mr. Artemis.

I have some talent at organising things, and my wide reading habits have given me a good spread of general knowledge, especially in the field of science. I am somewhat poorly versed in the field of social interaction, since I see little to gain from it; however, Mr. Artemis insists that a healthy education requires a certain investment in social interaction; hence my application.

I offer to PHYSCE my skills in telekinesis and matter manipulation , as well as other services in exchange for their assistance in honing and controlling my powers in every other area that I’m lacking. (If you aren’t sure how to describe your power, come talk with one of us and we’ll let you know if it’s got a sciency Latin name. Or we’ll make one up!)

I have a distinct preference, among my fictional reading, for science fiction that makes me think. I may have once managed self-teleportation, but have been unable to replicate the feat since, due perhaps to a slight mental trauma.What is "Hypnoglycemia"? I have failed to find any reputable sources on the subject.

Unlike many of the other applicants, Edward did not see any of the P.H.Y.S.C.E. notices stuck up around the city. This is largely because virtually the only time he ever leaves his parents' house is in order to visit the library... which he happened to be doing the day of an early P.H.Y.S.C.E. meeting. His presence, quietly reading a book at one of the tables, would likely have gone unremarked, were it not for the fact that the book in question was hovering slightly over the table, pages turning without Edward needing to actually touch them, except with his mind...

Anyone who has spoken to him for more then ten minutes will also know that he is almost painfully socially awkward, and tremendously attached to his books. He has a bad habit of running away from social encounters in order to find a quiet place to sit and read. However, offer to discuss a book with him, and you'll have trouble getting him to shut up.

Edward is almost entirely a Kinetic psychic, though he may at times border on the Synaptic. His Empathic ability is entirely non-existant.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
I, Ezhno Vass, age 15, being a Male of sound body and unstable mind, hereby submit my application to the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education (PHYSCE).

Pale, medium build, medium height. Have shaggy light brown hair that seems perpetually unkempt, even short. eyes are a light brown as well, but seem sunken and uncertain. Dresses primarily in drab colors and loose, unremarkable clothes.

Have two parents of Hungarian descent. Due to a small nest egg, neither work, but instead volunteer with a series of charities and green movements. Because of that, often alone while they are on trips. No siblings, and stuck with this stupid name they read in a book about spirituality and natives.

I......don't think I would be. I met that ki--....member of your club, Frederick. He seemed to think i'd be useful. But I can't imagine. I mean,......I don't do well with people. I don't like confrontation. If pushed, i either clam up, or just can't stop talking. But they said I have an unusual skill......and he really seemed to want me to help. I hate that. I can't ignore that. I've trained myself to ignore a lot of things, make my brain shut it out. But not that. I....there are things I don't want to be like.

I offer to PHYSCE my skills in Nullification and Defense, as well as other services in exchange for their assistance in honing and controlling my powers in every other area that I’m lacking.

"Three time winner of 'most times given tasks while not in the room.' annual award. Recent jobs included class cleaning, Prop Manager of school play, speech giver to the elderly.

Apparently am endearing to elderly when panicked and terrified. That was embarrassing.

I'm also told my voice gets shriller and shriller as i get more nervous. I once saw a pair of glasses crack. I SWEAR I don't think I was involved.

"Wait, what are all these things? This sounds dangerous!"
"Shut up and sign, Ez."
"F-f-fine, Fred."

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: NekoFlashblade
[On top of the application form is a signed note from a psychologist.

"I, as the acting medical professional for Idris Locke, give him permission to attend your meetings. However, please forgive his... unusual method of writing and speech. Idris suffers from Depersonalization Disorder, and believes his body is not his own. He is a selfless and kind-hearted child, but he does not have many friends due to how he speaks and comes off to others. I have checked over his application at his request. Please do your best to make him feel connected to your group. However, I do have one request - please cover any and all mirrors or other reflective surfaces in your meeting space. Idris does not like to look at his own appearance. I have attached a photo of him for him and delivered this to you at his request."]

I, Idris Locke, age 14, being a Male of sound body and unstable mind, hereby submit my application to the Parapsychological Heuristic Youths of Sciency Culture and Education (PHYSCE).

[In the photo, an awkwardly posed red-headed boy is smiling, but his light brown eyes are distant, as though they were looking somewhere way behind the cameraman, a little to the left. He is pale, with a complexion that suggests he isn't getting much sleep rather than the typical kind of pale-ness that one associates with red-heads. He wears mismatched clothes covered in multicolored patches, giving the impression that the clothes look a bit too big for him.]

There's not a whole lot to say about Idris. If there is such a person as Idris, he became this Idris fairly recently, from another Idris and so on and so forth, but the Idris that started it all started it about... six years ago, if Idris' memory serves him right. When Idris discovered he had the ability to teleport his body, he was thrilled, (though it freaked his parents out). But who can say, really? About a year later, Idris realized after learning about atoms in science class that the atoms that made him up now were not the same atoms that made him up before he teleported... and that's when he realized that he might not be the same Idris as he was before.

He had to stay home from school for a week after realizing that. Now Idris visits a psychologist regularly at his parent's insistence.

School is mostly interesting for Idris, and he particularly likes science class. Outside of it, he spends much time online, reading wikipedia and message forums.

In any case, Idris learned of PHYSCE through your flier. Someone posted a picture of it online and Idris thought it looked interesting. Idris hopes he is able to meet your expectations!

Idris likes to help people out! Idris also gets good grades at school, and is told he has a unique way of thinking.

I offer to PHYSCE my skills in Teleportation, as well as other services in exchange for their assistance in honing and controlling my powers in every other area that I’m lacking. (If you aren’t sure how to describe your power, come talk with one of us and we’ll let you know if it’s got a sciency Latin name. Or we’ll make one up!)

Idris doesn't like to buy new clothes, and even when he does, he likes to cut up his old clothes to use as patches for the new clothes, filling in holes and making them stand out.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG