Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:25 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
What edition are we up to now, anyway? Is 13th a conservative estimate?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:41 am 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
If your character is a gamer, it's highly likely they've either played with, or heard of, Aikidoka Kai. Kai's a world champion in multiple gamer tournaments and makes a living off of them, so it's pretty certain someone whose game-savy has heard of Kai before.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 pm 
AOL: NekoFlashblade
If that's the case I wonder if our characters have clashed once or twice in other games, Bunny, we should discuss this.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:46 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Sal, we could always say Hasbro dropped it and someone else picked it up. Then we might only be at version 10.5.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 pm 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Ok, it took a LONG time to decide which ones are best, and in the end, I decided that it would be safest to drop to 6 characters. Sorry to the ones who got edged out, especially by this, but it took time to decide what I'd b e best able to manage. So without further ado, we have:

CCC, as Clarence, the Caster.
HimizujinEternia as Karie, the Master.
Ruan as Maya, the Javelinist.
ThylordQ as Teiresias, the Smither.
SSJBunbun as Aikidoka Kai, the Knight.
Salamander as Brand Gounouf, the Slayer.

My apologies to those who didn't make it.

Now to the players in question, stay tuned. There will be more coming. over the next couple days I'll be giving the final details on the world, the basic battle and game system, and finally your character class and builds. I expect to start in a week and a half at the latest, at this rate (subject to change.)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
*cries*

Ah well. What class would mine have been if I'd been accepted?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:39 am 
Alright. Had a few days where my head was not in the game (in more ways than one), but we're progressing.

Today's lesson for the players is the basic system of play.

Battles will be simple in this game. I will use basic d100 opposed roles. Factors will be put into each roll on individual basis, such as the type of move used (moves will b e rated for speed, accuracy, and damage level), conditions in the battle, and strategy (the game is very precise, it considers concepts like accuracy and leverage, and has reasonable AI for the creatures to adapt to b attle tactics.) Hitting a difference in the roll greater than 80 will be considered a critical hit or success or failure, as will be hitting a 1-2 or 99-100 on a skill check (which wont be opposed, but only will happen on DIFFICULT actions, i wont force constant rolls.)

In combat, you will be allowed to do a single attack or move (special techniques have cooldown, though, which will be listed.) and a reasonable amount of maneuvering.

In game, you can train skills. You start with a specific weapon and a skill rating of 10 in that weapon, out of 500. You can choose to abandon that weapon type for another, or expand on it. You can learn other battle type skills (i will control the unlocking of a skill based on focusing on it) and profession and crafting type skills. The skill ratings will improve your Rolls, as well as shape your character's formation for the skill choices at the next Level.

Levels are gained only by beating bosses. It is for this reason that the party system is very popular in this game world, as it allows for a clear and controlled progression, rather than risking disparity of skills. You can train skills without leveling, but Stat ad Powers are controlled by level. The player will have an HP bar, but don't worry, I wont be horribly anal on it, its more o a reference point of your condition than something that will be point to point tracked.

Death in the game leads to a time out. You can expect to pretty much skip the rest of combat unless someone uses a revival item or skill(your party is lacking in confessors so that will be less doable, but dont worry, you arent doomed, and if you focus on herbal and heal type skilss, you can gain power in that as well. If the entire party is wiped, you will be knocked back to a respawn point (usually the last town you visited) with a penalty to your items and skill EXP.

You have a few stats, which are more a mark of your character's dispersal of strengths than of constant growth. The Stats are Strength, Stamina, Speed, Magic, and Will. Except that Will represents magic defense, they all are about what is expected.

Worth noting about the games is the menus. You can summon a player menu by gesturing with your right hand. The menu controls your inventory, and can also be used for simple tasks, like selecting items, equipping, checking maps, and messaging friends. The menu is an integral part of the game, and one of the few things that disconnects CLEARLY from reality.

Well, thats the basics for now. You still have time to determine i you want to have connections with characters for now, and PLEASE ask any further questions you have. I hope to be ready to start b y the weekend. The next task, making your character build sheets to send out.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:55 am 
SSJJared wrote:
You still have time to determine i you want to have connections with characters for now

Clarence has been only mildly interested in gaming until now; his roommate heard about Domain of Dreams first, and told Clarence about the beta. Unfortunately, the roommate in question did not make it into the beta. He may have vaguely heard of some of the more competitive players, but he's not in himself all that competitive; on the one occasion in which he entered a tournament (several months ago, more as a friendly contest against his roommate than anything else) he was rather soundly eliminated in the first round. (Some fellow called Aikidoka Kai ended up winning that tournament...)

Up until now, he'd simply never put in enough practice time into a single game to become competitive.

Clarence is far more enthusiastic about this game than any previous one, because Clarence is paraplegic, stuck in a wheelchair. The experience of being able to walk again is more than enough to draw him in and keep him interested.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:26 am 
AOL: FrozenFire2k1
Kai's the type of person who would remember Clarence from the tournament; less from his being in a wheelchair and more from seeing the potential gamer inside. So when one figures out exactly who you are, you may be pounced and hugged.

Kai tends to remember people really well. ^_^

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:31 pm 
AOL: NekoFlashblade
CCC, how do you imagine Clarence's first round loss going? Seeing as Karie is insanely competitive and sees Kai as a rival, I imagine she might have been at that tournament as well, but unless she was his first round opponent I doubt she'd remember him at all.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:23 pm 
Clarence only went to the tournament because it was (a) fairly cheap and (b) right near to, and shortly after, one of his speaking engagements (he's a motivational speaker). He's not wildly competitive, and doesn't know the sort of tricks that the top gamers can pull; he'd probably have his forces thoroughly decimated within the first ten minutes.

He's a good loser, though, and would shrug off his loss with a smile and a handshake. Unless, of course, his opponent got mean about it and rubbed Clarence's nose in his loss.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 pm 
OK, we got our character sheets out. This is your last chance to ask questions or forge connections before we begin in a couple days.

A few small things.
I mention the weapons as Starting Class in your gear. Gear comes in 10 categories. Starting. Weak, Normal, High Quality, Magic, Rare, Ancient, Legendary, Epic, Unique.

I gave you the basics of your appearance. Gear is limited to its current appearance, but other than what i said you can adjust it. tells were mostly left undescribed so you can work with it to your own satisfaction.

One last thing, i didn't always make it clear. but your techniques ARENT your only options. you can do any basic technique you can imagine. The techs are things controlled by the system. When you use a technique, the system guides you through it. Regular attacks have a level of D, and an accuracy of C, for the most part.

That's about it for now. PLEASE dont hesitate asking any questions.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:25 am 
I assume that earlier letters are better; thus, a damage of B is more damaging than a damage of C but less damaging than a damage of A. But, approximately, how big a difference are we talking about here? Ten percent? Fifty percent? Double? Ten times?

I'm not looking for an exact figure, necessarily; just an approximation to go with.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 pm 
Game's up, and with that, this thread turns entirely into OOC discussion and current situation questions.

Also, the ranks are fairly non standard. They simply represent how some techniques focus on power over accuracy, or are better the other way.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:01 am 
My first RP post on the forum.
HOPE I DIDN'T SCREW IT UP!

Board index » RPG Forums » Guided RPG