Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ] 

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Down to the wire on this one, balthazar. This next exchange is going to be the last one, for better or for worse. Make your next attack count.

Ruan, CCC, Stan, once balthazar's conflict is over I'll try and focus on speeding your group along a bit more. You guys still with me?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:27 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Yar. (that's yes.)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:55 pm 
Crap, I hope this hits.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:51 am 
Yes. (that's yar.)

I think that there is a bit of a change I'd like to make to my character after this battle. Just take out one skill that he hasn't been using (Fists; because it doesn't really fit my mental image of him) and shuffle a few others around to fill the gap.

Physical defense is taken care of with stunts in any case.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:04 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'll allow it as a maneuver in an attempt to establish an aspect you or your friends can tag but I can't allow you to use it as an actual attack. You'll never be able to physically damage or establish consequences beyond the social stress track(the one exception being if you're using deceit or intimidate in concert with the Incite Emotion power that Oz has, in which case it would establish a mental consequence).

I would highly suggest you take at least one kind of power or skill that allows you to be of more use in combat. If you trade out Fists, I might suggest bringing in Guns to replace it. Right now your character is at his strongest in a board room or on stage. I'm still struggling with trying to figure out how best to make use of your character in game, but I'll keep trying.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:20 am 
Kajin wrote:
I'll allow it as a maneuver in an attempt to establish an aspect you or your friends can tag but I can't allow you to use it as an actual attack. You'll never be able to physically damage or establish consequences beyond the social stress track(the one exception being if you're using deceit or intimidate in concert with the Incite Emotion power that Oz has, in which case it would establish a mental consequence).

I'm trying to use it as a mental or perhaps social attack, not as a physical attack. Vampires are stronger physically than Charles, and it doesn't take him long to figure this out; so he attempts to demoralise, to make his foes uncertain, distracted, or just plain scared. He's really a Guile Hero (warning, tvtropes link) and fights like one - even if he can't easily cause a bruise, he can still defeat an opponent.

And, though 'making him run away' isn't always a great strategy (because they can come back), in this case it allows the rest to concentrate on the remaining vampires much more effectively.

Kajin wrote:
I would highly suggest you take at least one kind of power or skill that allows you to be of more use in combat. If you trade out Fists, I might suggest bringing in Guns to replace it. Right now your character is at his strongest in a board room or on stage. I'm still struggling with trying to figure out how best to make use of your character in game, but I'll keep trying.

On that subject, I'd also like to ask to trade out a couple of stunts I haven't been using... basically to swap out the "stage special effects" stunts in favour of a couple of disguise/acting themed stunts (which will probably be more useful in general, mainly because they're quicker to set up). That goes with a minor change in backstory - instead of handling the stage effects at Changeling Theatre, he's more of an actor at Changeling Theatre.

If I do take a combat skill, it'll be Weapons - I find it easier to imagine Charles smashing things with a length of wood than with his fists.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:43 am 
Frack me, I can't believe that worked.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It should be noted that supernatural entities such as Beatrix here are bound by their word of honor to keep any promise they make. Brecon might possibly know this, if you want him to. He may be able to negotiate terms of release with the vampire, should he so desire.

Changing your stunts like that might make things easier for you in the long run, CCC. And you can't physically damage someone by insulting or demoralizing them. You might be able to use your talent for speech and deceit to establish maneuvers on occasion, which would allow allies to hit even harder, but that'd be exceedingly difficult to implement during the battle and not before it.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:02 am 
Kajin wrote:
And you can't physically damage someone by insulting or demoralizing them.

No, but I might be able to persuade them to stop fighting, to run away (like has been done to poor Gremory twice already, with help) or, in severe cases, to switch sides.

Kajin wrote:
You might be able to use your talent for speech and deceit to establish maneuvers on occasion, which would allow allies to hit even harder, but that'd be exceedingly difficult to implement during the battle and not before it.

I relish the challenge.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
You know what? I'd find it perfectly allowable if you took a stunt that let you use deceit as a physical attack so long as you used a small concealable dagger. You're basically lying about where your attack is going to come from which sets your opponent up for quick rabbit shots to the kidneys when they least expect it. That sound fine?

Stab! Right in the kidneys!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:08 am 
I'm not trying to use it as a physical attack. I'm trying to use it as a mental (or possibly social) attack; to demoralise, not to harm.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
You can also use it for that purpose. Your character is setup to be a trickster archetype for the most part and a sneak attack stunt like that seemed like it would be right at home with that kind of thing.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:12 am 
...hmmm. It would fit right in, wouldn't it? ("Look behind you!" "What?" WHAM!)

I'll think about that possibility.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:19 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
You got some time. When this campaign comes to an end you'll all have four additional skill points and a brand spanking new refresh point to spend. New skill cap will also be at +5 (Superb) so you guys will have more options to take.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:08 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Alright, a few things here...

First off, we both missed something before - Incite Emotion, by itself, does not in and of itself allow you to make mental attacks. Just maneuvers and blocks. You have to take Lasting Emotion in order to get the ability to use it as an actually mental attack capable of causing consequences. So Gremory shouldn't have taken that earlier roll as a mental attack, instead likely a block or a maneuver.

Secondly, I looked around for how exactly to handle touching and delivering Incite Emotion.

Fred Hicks, Developer wrote:
- WCV must deliberately touch opponent
- some opponents are willing or unaware; those circumstances likely
justify a no-roll touch
- some wish to avoid it; there, some kind of contested skill roll is appropriate

The nature of that skill roll might change based on context. Combat,
fists vs athletics might do it. Or maybe it's social, and we're
looking at Deceit or Stealth vs Lore-as-sixth-sense or Alertness. Etc

So it's pretty much dependent on context and GM fiat, looks like. Obviously, Vaz is aware. He's probably going to want to avoid being touched, so that's probably an Athletics roll vs. my Fists to touch him, followed by the actual main roll, which would be Deceit. Assuming I do manage to touch, I get a +2 to my Deceit roll for touching my target when using Incite Emotion. If I don't touch... then nothing happens and Oz looks silly.

Alternatively, you could require I use Fists vs Athletics to establish a temporary Aspect of 'Grabbed Vaz', and then it wouldn't be until the next round I could use Incite Emotion - up to you.

Specifically what I am trying to do:

I am -not- trying to use Incite Emotion as an Attack, but rather as a Block maneuver to prevent Vaz from spellcasting. Basically, in order for Vaz to cast a spell, he will need to make a Discipline roll exceeding my Deceit roll, whatever it may be. Essentially, cloud his mind with such despair that he cannot focus enough for a spell.

In addition to this, I am going to spend a Fate Point to use Oz's Shall I Give You Despair aspect. If I have an absolutely horrible roll for Fists, then use it on that. If not that, then on the Deceit roll to block.

Last edited by Ruan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG