Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:36 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Ginger sees The Lady interacting with the gargoyles. "Hopefully she can get them to help," she says to The Kid, "but I've got no intention of depending on it. Let's go." She and The Kid begin pick their way carefully to the next spire and take refuge under it. Once they're ready, she presses the fourth tile.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
The third lava flow stops, and the second one starts up again.

Meanwhile.

The right gargoyle works his mouth for an instant, before giving the other gargoyle a gimlet stare - at least, the best it can do from the corner of his eye. "It's that goblin king! That's where you heard it from, isn't it?" He rolls his eyes back toward the Lady, before rolling them right back to the left gargoyle. "I told you not to go to Jareth's! I told you! But no, you just haaaad to go, blabbing away. What's the point of a puzzle if someone's heard it before!"

It rolls its' eyes back over to the Lady. "Anyways..." He takes a deep breath. "That gargoyle is a LIAR! The one that you want is the right one! The right hand path is the path of the righteous! The left hand path is for the ungodly, the unclean!" He intones everything quite well. Obviously, he's been rehearsing.

"I couldn't help it! It was just there, bulging! I was distracted! I mean, how could I not stare! How was I to know he was going to use the idea?" The gargoyle on the left looks offended. "And it is too the left one! Because... well... because! It is! The right one, mean. The left one is the right one." He pauses for a second, then goes cross-eyed. "Oh, you know what I mean."

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:02 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
"This place is a wrong place."

The kid keeps his eyes on the lava, and is silent after his statement. He keeps close to Ginger, however.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:55 pm 
When the lava has cooled, Ginger advances carefully to the fifth tile. She double-checks: final lava flow active, fifth tile not lit nor blinking, The Kid caught up. "Just in case something bad happens," Ginger tells him, "be ready to make a break for the temple if the way's clear. Just make sure to avoid the last tile." She wipes the sweat from her brow and adjusts the weight of the obsidian slab in her arm; she'll certainly be grateful of an opportunity to put it down.

If all is as she expects, Ginger will reach out and give the fifth tile a tap with her staff.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:21 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
"Gah!"

The Lady stomps her foot.

"Okay, righty," she says to the right gargoyle. "If I asked you which lever lefty would tell me is the correct lever to pull to make the lava clear away, which one would he tell me to pull?"

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:52 pm 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
*tap*

The fifth tile starts blinking. The last time this happened, the ceiling fell right around 10 seconds afterward. The fourth lava fall goes away, even as the third one starts up again.

"Uh."
"Hm."
"Was that a tapping noise I heard? Of the fifth tile being hit?"
"I think so, yes. Don't think they have the trick of it either."
"How many times have they triggered the room?"
"Two. ... how on earth did you sleep through all that racket?"
"Oh, you know... twice. Well, you know what they say. Third time's the charm."
"Moot point in telling her which lever is real then, isn't it?"
"Yep. Moot point."
"Think we should warn them?"
"Oh, I don't know. Should we?"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:39 am 
Enver backs up a dozen more steps. If the lava should overflow from the room, he's ready to run.

"PICK RIGHT!" he shouts. When in doubt, and there's no time, always pick right.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:00 pm 
"I hate these stupid puzzles," Stocky complains, stroking his singed beard for a moment. "They've both said the left one is the one to pull. Though, Righty there, corrected himself rather quickly afterwards, which could either be a ploy or an honest gaff. If one of them must be lying, and the other telling the truth, I would expect the liar to be the one making a mistake. I'm thinking we want to pull the left one, though I kinda wonder, can't we just pull both levers?
I'll go with whatever one you think is best, Lady. You seem to have a better head for this puzzle than I do."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:24 pm 
"Go!" Ginger yells to The Kid as soon as she sees the tile start blinking. "Run for the temple! GO!" She doesn't wait to see how The Kid reacts, but starts running mid-sentence. "DON'T TOUCH THE LAST TILE!" she calls back to him.

Last edited by AlternateTorg on Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:25 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
He runs, and leaps over the tiles as Ginger does.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 am 
WLM: [email protected]
The Lady stamps a foot.

"Damnation!" she says. "Fine, Stocky. Let's pull both. Worst case, we die again, right?"

She holds onto a lever and (if she's allowed to move Stocky, as he's already said he'd do as she pleases), in tandem, they both pull a lever.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am 
*blink - blink - blink - blink - blink - FLASH!*

When the Lady pulls both levers, the door gargoyles look at one another, then as one, look forward. Their eyes glow with bright fire. As one, they begin screaming.

"Sinners! Owners of sins forgotten!"
"Owners of sins long lost!"
"Burn in the fires of the depths!"
"The pain of purification!"
"The agony of atonement!"
"Yet it is not enough. Not enough!"
"Death is only the beginning."
"Death is a kindness you are not allowed."
"The Wheel turns. Let it turn again!
"DOOM."

Even as they wail, the magma ceiling falls down. The magma below rises up past the path, even as the obsidian spires collapse from the weight. Unlike last time, the room fills and fills and fills. Though the doors to the temple have opened, there is no escape. The magma flows inside, catching any who try to flee in there to safety. It flows out of the room, into the hallway, faster than a man can run.

Death... and then, once again, the void. In the void, your memories grow distant, slowly fading away. The horror of your death becomes less important... then, not important at all. Some time later... it may have been seconds, hours, days, even eons.

Once again, you see the same woman who spoke to you before in the void. She reaches out to caress your cheek.

"Don't hate yourself. Even if the world does not forgive, I will forgive you."

She bends forward to kiss your lips.

"Don't hate yourself. Even if you do not forgive the world, I will forgive you."

All at once, her face contorts with pain. Her eyes grow strange, black and cold.

"But what will it take for you to forgive me?"

With those final words, she leans down to whisper in your ear.

"I did not want to resort to this... but remember."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:02 am 
Enver runs. Fast, faster, fastest... always running, one foot in front of another, as the wall of superheated rock follows him down the corridor.

The others? Dead. Again. There is nothing he can do but run...

The wall of lava behind him catches up... Enver can feel the heat on his back, charring his clothes. He makes a single mistake. He looks back.

And promptly trips over his own feet.

The heat swallows him...

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG