Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:49 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Suddenly, you hear a comforting voice that sounds a lot like Liam Neeson.

There is a relatively young world. It's called Sacretio. It is a land of-

"Wait," you interject, "Are you Liam Neeson?"

No... I just sound a lot like him.

"Is your voice supposed to set a dramatic tone to the game? Like Fallout 3?"

No, it's actually quite a light hearted game with some dark humor thrown in. Think less Fallout Neeson and more... Ponyo Neeson. Not that this story is anything like that... actually, it's very quite similar. But people die. Trust me.

"Okay," you respond, "Continue"

Right. Sacretio. It is a land of mojo and adventure, filled to the brim with colorful characters and terrifying monsters. Here, civilization is blended with (somewhat) modern technology and medieval tradition. Here, kings and queens rule, thieves and rangers chase you down on horseback and your location is just a click away on your Game Boy. Here-

"Game Boy?"

Well, I should say Game Boy Color. The most advanced technology Sacretio has.

"It has a GPS function?"

Yeah. Holographic GPS, data storage, radio. It does everything AND plays Pokémon!

"But, mine never did any of that!"

You probably weren't using it right. Anywho, Sacretio. Great place. Like D&D with humor and Game Boys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've been working on Sacretio for quite some time now. It was created as a setting for some of my writings. Then I thought that it might make a decent role-playing game. If you like Discworld, Adventure Time, D&D and/or Sucker Punch, you'll probably dig Sacretio. Or not. I really don't know.

NEXT: Some Exposition & Character Creation

Last edited by Stan Cold on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sacretio: Recruiting
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:50 pm 
Info dump:

Geography:

Sacretio contains six countries.

Mattias is the smallest of the countries. It is constantly "at war" with the other countries for land, though the others have never received an official declaration of war and all attempted invasions have been defeated without blood shed.

Scottia, the largest of the countries, basically specializes in everything. It is known for it's massive army and it's powerful church. The only thing keeping it from taking over the rest of the world is whenever someone proposes such an idea, they are viciously attacked and consumed by a BearTroll. Some say this is a curse set upon Scottia, others just say it is a coincidence due to Scottia's massive BearTroll population.

Tigro is the richest of the countries and most born here grow up to be merchants and traders. It is also known for it's large punk lute scene and it's wonderful sledding mountains (skiing and snowboarding have not yet been introduced to Sacretio).

Teagosa is the second largest producer in mojo due to it's large demon population. Do not fret, for these demons are rather kindly and obey the laws of blah blah blah. Ironically, if you're looking for someone who hasn't broken a law in Sacretio, your best bet is a demon. Aside from that, Teagosa is the largest producer of electronics, it's most popular and only product being the GameBoy Color (one of the factories were able to open a portal to ours, snatch one of the handhelds and replicate it on a mass scale).

Bonniandra is widely known for it's art, music and general culture stuff. It is the largest producer of ships and is home to the largest and only wizard school in Sacretio, Basstits Academy of Mojo and Stuff.

Jotopia is the largest producer of mojo since it has the largest population of wizards. It is a generally peaceful and excellent place to live. One might ask if most of the wizarding population lives here, why is Basstits in Bonniandra? That is due to Bonniandra's offshore location and some complex, bureaucratic loopholes.

Races:

Sacretio is filled to the brim with your generic fantasy races along with a few interesting ones. First of all are the Tribal races. Tribal didn't advance as fast as the Civilized races, so they got shafted by a harsh mistress named Imperialism. Most live on reservations and are rather integrated with society, though quite a few cling to tribal lands in the forest and mountains.

Trolls: Trolls are a proud and vicious lot. Constantly at odds with humans and orcs. When the Civilized came to take their land, they launched a bloody war in retaliation. For that reason, there are very few trolls left. All trolls live on reservations, though there are rumors of a resistance growing in the mountains of Scottia.

Minotaurs: A wise and proud race, minotaurs cooperated with the Civilized races. For that, most minotaur tribal lands are retained and even protected.

Giants: Seeing as they couldn't fit on the reservations assigned to them, the giants were allowed to keep their homelands in the mountains. A typically gentle race of farmers, they rarely interfere with the affairs of others.

Hominoids: Going by sasquatch in the forest tribes and yeti in the mountains, hominoids are rather sneaky but also peaceful. Of course, annoying one can result in immediate disarming and I'm not talking about weapons either.

Reptoids: Reptilian humanoids who live below the Sacretion surface. Because of this, they are constantly in argument with the dwarves over mine placement and mineral rights. They are hardy survivors and they mainly feed off the blood of the living. Mostly animals, sometimes people.

Water Folk: Part fish, part frog, part man, Water Folk are the most elusive of the races. Little is known about them.

Goblins: Goblins are short and vicious ankle-biters. They flat out refused to move to reservations, but it was actually quite easy just to stuff 'em in a box and ship them there.

Centaurs: Fierce archers and powerful fighters, the centaurs are proud and resentful towards the Civilized folk.

Gremlins: Gremlins are great with technology, but even better at buggering it all to hell. The odd thing is that gremlin tribes seem to have scraps of more advanced technology than even the Civilized races. Many wizards have pondered this, but never bothered to go check it out.

Scat-mon: Half man, half cat, all killing machine. Luckily, they willingly surrendered to the Civilized races. Too luckily.

Here we reach the Civilized races, races that developed along side each other to create a "proper" society.

Humans: The first race. A template the gods used to make all other races. Highly adaptable. Oddly enough, young humans in the agricultural trade are the most likely to be heroes. I honestly have no idea why.

Gnomes: Little more than half a foot off the ground, gnomes are actually very fast and strong, relatively speaking.

Dwarves: Short, hardy and built for mining. Due to long-standing relationships with elves, dwarves get along rather nicely with them.

Elves: You'd be hard pressed to find a bad looking elf. They look much like attractive humans with pointy ears.

Half-elves: Half human, they're charming, quick and agile.

Stocks: Hobbits without incurring the wrath of the Tolkien Estate and without using the generic halfling. Short and stocky like a dwarf, but prone to party rather than work.

Orcs: Brutish, imposing and green, orcs are are the most vicious of the civilized races. Excellent warriors and smiths.

Half-orcs: Half human, they are superb on the battlefield with versatility and strength.

Werewolves: Werewolves look like humans in their normal state, but can turn into ravenous hell-beasts at the drop of a hat. Good friends with vampires.

Vampires: Bloodsucking beings of the night. Strong, fast but vulnerable to daylight.

And last but certainly not least are the Mojo races. These races are able to wield mojo at an adept rate.

Cats: Ordinary cats. The ones that talk and shoot lasers from their eyes.

Demons: They look human, except for their red skin and horns.

Half-demons: Half human, they are highly adjustable and can wield magic. They appear human except for vestigial horns and perhaps glowing red eyes.

Genies: Beings of pure mojo, genies are only restricted by the will of the gods.

Wizards: The most powerful of the mojo races. Essentially humans with mojo in the blood.

Fairies: Twee little flying people.

Liches: Some wizards don't like to die. So when they do, they come right back as a lich. Essentially a super zombie.

Leprechauns: Very few leprechauns are rich. They make shoes and are very good assassins.

Greys: Alien looking beings. Very skilled with technology and love to drink.

Fly Guys: Less-magical wizards with wings. That about covers it.

You can play as any of these races except Deep Ones and Giants.

NEXT: Character Creation & More Info Dumping

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:13 pm 
Character Creation

A form suddenly appears at your house/apartment/alleyway box. It appears they're taking census again. The voice of the census wizard explains everything on the form. In Sacretio, voices in your head aren't uncommon.

Name: This is your name. Obviously. In Sacretio, we typically have regular, English names like Tom or Logan. Of course, tribals are free to fill in their native names. I just put easier to pronounce ones on the census form.

Sex: The famous Oak Conundrum. Are you a boy or a girl?

Race: I am required to remind you that those of tribal races are required to show their papers when requested to by a ranger of... kidding. This is Sacretio, not Arizonia. Whatever that is.

Age: Now, no lying on this one. I'm not taking you to dinner or anything. Unless you're attractive, of course. A nice cook, short but not too... Anywho, if you cannot remember your age due to any variety of reasons, just put down an estimate.

Occupation: Name your occupation. We're the Ministry of Tab Keeping, not the rangers. If you do something illegal for a living, don't expect anyone bursting through your door holding a census form and a gun to your head. I don't get paid enough to do that.

Abilities: On a scale of one to ten, one being worst, ten being best, five being average, how do you rank in the following abilities? All start out as five. You get six points to distribute, plus you may lower some scores for more points (whatever that means).

STRength: Muscles, baby. Raw, physical power. Good for beating up people, lifting things and beating up more people.

CONstitution: Endurance. Stamina. Balls. Whatever you wanna call it. Good for getting yourself beaten up.

DEXterity: Sweet flips and sneaky tricks. It's all about the ol' hand-eye. Good for sneakin' around, flippin' around and stealin' around.

INTelligence: Got yourself some fancy book learnin', eh? Better use it, or you get stuck in a job like mine. Good for whipping out spells, throwing down some knowledge and how well you can use a Game Boy.

WISdom: A wise, old man told me, "Get the hell out of my house!" Those words have stuck with me ever since. Good for more mojo, keen insight and common sense.

CHArisma: I once tested my charisma on one of those charisma-testing machines. It mentioned it wasn't wearing any underwear. Good for seducing women, something about diplomacy and seducing more women.

LUcK: "Lucky" never hurt anyone. Unless you're referring to Lucky, the waitress down at the Northern Peak. She'll slap you if your eyes stray too far down. Good for gambling, random occurrences and the general outlook of your adventure.

Life Story: It gets boring sorting through census forms all day. You might give me a good laugh or two.

Picture: A five gold tax return bonus for allowing the government to have a picture of you, someone who looks like you or a really nice drawing. If no picture is available, a brief physical description will do (bonus free, of course).

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:33 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
I'm in, but I don't know who or what I am yet. Think of me as an amorphous blob or an out of focus pic...

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:54 pm 
Like weatherwax, I'm in but not yet sure of the specifics. Question: can vampires have magical abilities?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:55 pm 
It is possible for non-Mojo races to have magic abilities, though they'd have to a) be in the posession of a magical artifact (amulet, plunger, etc.) or b) have some sort of magical origin event (fall in magical well, wizard blood transfusion, etc.).

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
This seems interesting. How long will recruiting be open? I'm not in yet, but if I feel like I have the time for it later on I'll gladly jump aboard.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:24 pm 
Recruiting is open for however long people want to be recruited. Game will probably start when the first three characters are made. After that, though, anyone can make a character and enter the game. I just have to make sure the timing is convenient.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:37 am 
All right, I know who I am now!

Elaine Smith, demon lady. Born in Teagosa, schooled in the conservatories and workshops of Bonniandra, she now owns a lute shop in Tigro where she produces fine lutes that are popular with the punk lute scene. Perhaps it's their clear tone, perhaps there's a bit of mojo in the strings. Her methods of lute production are a carefully guarded secret.

Age? Age is just a number, haha! But assuming that demons are a longer-lived race, she may be brushing her mid-80s. Young for a demon, of course, though she looks to be in her early 30s in human years.

A few gold rings on her horns, a white, fluffy blouse, blue jeans and black boots are her typical outfit. Her black, straight hair hits below her shoulders, but she keeps it swept up in a loose bun most days.

EDIT: cleaning up Elaine's abilities.

As for her abilities:

STR: 3
CON: 5
DEX: 2
INT: 9
WIS: 8
CHA: 9
LU: 5

Last edited by weatherwax on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:56 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I don't get it. What do the Game Boys have to do with anything? How technological are things?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:08 pm 
Dave, the Dark Mage, is a vampire with some limited magical ability. He likes to think he's all impressive, and he can look impressive (in the right circumstances, from a certain angle, and if the observer is of the type to be easily impressed) right up until he meets another vampire, at which point the other vampire usually starts treating him like a little child. This is because Dave is only 25; among the long-lived vampire races, this is practically a baby. If one ignores the fangs, and the long, flowing cloak that he thinks is impressive, he would look like a fairly average human; black hair, black clothes.

Doesn't like daylight; prefers to live nocturnally. Actually dislikes light altogether.

STR: 3
CON: 5
DEX: 7
INT: 10
WIS: 2
CHA: 7
LUK: 7

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
I don't get it. What do the Game Boys have to do with anything? How technological are things?

Storytime!

When Joe the Creator (more on gods later) first created the races, he proclaimed to them, "Okay, now that you guys have life and basic knowledge, I'm gonna skedaddle. You know, to the... god... dimension... thing. Bye!"

The Prophet Steve, one of the first gnomes, wrote down what the Creator said word-for-word. Since it was published, all sorts of people have tried discovering the God Dimension Thing. Marriages have been ruined, children have been orphaned and paper cuts have occurred in the name of this endeavor. Of course, nobody really knows what they're going to do when they find this God Dimension Thing. That's really a bridge they plan to cross when they find the damned thing. Some claim that a tribe of gremlins have found it due to it's surprisingly advanced technology, but anybody who tries to venture near is vaporized.

One mojo researcher, a demon named Jim Black, made a breakthrough. While [insert scientific/magical jargon here], he was able to rip something from another dimension (whether this dimension was the God Dimension Thing is debatable, but rather unlikely). This something was a Gameboy Color. Unfortunately, his partner killed him, modified the Gameboy magically and had it mass-produced.

As for technology, Sacretio has a medieval appearance architecturally, few Victorian era firearms and an enhanced 90's gaming system.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:23 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
How about audio technology? Are we still working with acoustics and wood-winds, or do we have electrics and synthesisers and tape/CD recording technology?

In short: can I be a heavy-metal orc?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:27 pm 
You can be a heavy-metal orc. You must be a heavy-metal orc. Audio technology is enough to allow a heavy-metal orc.

EDIT: Improperly placed hyphen implied that you must be a fat, robotic orc.

Last edited by Stan Cold on Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 pm 
Hells yeah! Then Elaine's lutes come in both accustic and electric.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG