Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat

Post subject: Another Music Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:44 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
We haven't had one in a while, and it always makes for some great discoveries here.

So have you discovered something new that you just love? Blew the dust off of something you haven't listened to in ages and fallen in love again? Been subjected to absolute dreck recently?

I myself just queued up some old Santana and have been grooving in my cube since.

Edit to add: I can't decide which song has the better epic outro: Stand by Sly and the Family Stone or Black Magic Woman by Santana

Post subject: Re: Another Music Thread
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Blind Guardian somewhat recently released At the Edge of Time, an album which directly references fantasy series such as the Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, Tanelorn, and two of John Milton's works.

Great all around album. Probably my personal favorite has to be...

The Wheel of Time

---

A good bit back Diablo Swing Orchestra released their second album.

Notable from that...

A Tap Dancer's Dilemma

---

Van Canto, a capella metal group, released their next album...

Notable from that...

Last Night of the Kings

---

Gorillaz, who should need no explanation, have a new album as well...

Notable from that, plus Bruce Willis...

Stylo

Post Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:40 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
hmm ... ok recently

Blue Gillespie (I may have mentioned these guys before. If not the lead singer is the tea-boy from Torchwood sounding completely unlike the tea-boy from Torchwood)

I finally got around to buying some of The Meanies stuff which I lost in a fire.

Mostly I've just picked up some single songs recently.

Mitsubitchi by The Subs

Dog by Andy Bull

Spaceship by Phrase

Overpass by the John Steel Singers

and

We Want Your Soul by Freeland

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:15 am 
Right now, I can't get Dragonslayer* by Heroincredible (a local group.) out of my head. Frankly, there are worse songs to have as an earworm out there.

*language warning.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:31 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Thanks to Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, I have been listening to Canadan and UK indy music lately. My personal favourite is this version of Metric's "Black Sheep", performed by Brie Larson, who played Envy Adams in the movie.

I also quite enjoy Blood Red Shoes, whose song It's Getting Boring By the Sea was featured in the movie (briefly) as well.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:01 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: FritzFrosch85
Like FB the album currently inhabiting my iPod almost exclusively is the Scott Pilgrim vs The World Soundtrack.

When I'm not listening to that, however, It's usually one of many Genius mixes the Pod (and my compy) have built for me. If you don't use those programs its sort of a Pandora-esque auto-playlist but build using only your own music. I particularly love the ones assembled for me based on Common People (as covered by the Shat) Curl (by the incomparable Jonathan Coulton) and Salty Dog (by Flogging Molly).

And then I have a playlist that's just all of the Dropkick Murphy, Flogging Molly and Andrew WK that I have that I put on random to pump up on the way to a rugby match.

And me and my buddy Redneck won't go on a roadtrip of any significant length without listening to Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangster by the Geto Boys and Tribute by Tenacious D.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
I've been listening to a lot of carbon Leaf, Biffy Clyro and the F-word Buttons (name redacted and not linked to, but it is good electronica to write too).

Post Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:39 pm 
New music I've been listening to this year: FSOL's Environments III, Hybrid's Disappear Here, Röyksopp's Senior and Underworld's surprisingly poppy Barking, which is a nice change from the moody previous album Oblivion with Bells.

Older music I'm listening to at the moment is Mochipet's Girls Love Breakcore album, which a friend lent me years ago and which I've only just found a copy of my own of, and Way Out West's Don't Look Now album, which I have on vinyl but never seem to get around to digitizing.

Sorry if those links don't work outside the UK, YouTube can be picky at times.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:07 pm 
I'm currently completely in love with everything on Epica's The Classical Conspiracy Live album. Among the best of their older songs and some good covers, they 'enhanced' some classical and movie soundtrack pieces. Like, for example, the Imperial March!

Post Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:12 pm 
AOL: Astaereth
Scott Pilgrim, naturally (truck truck truck!). Also in high rotation at the moment:

The album Habits, by the Neon Trees--the radio ruined "animal" but 1983, Our War, Girls and Boys in School, and a couple others on there are also awesome.

A group appropriately called Film School, whose songs I can't get out of my head.

Some new stuff by The National...

The Nick Cave score from The Road...

The album Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, by Phoenix, particularly Lisztomania.

Some recent Glee stuff...

Bob Dylan's Desolation Row...

Gunfight Epiphany (Theme from Terriers--the best show you're not watching)

Terriers also introduced me to an achingly beautiful old song sung by Sarah Vaughn entitled "It Never Entered My Mind." (Google it, it's so good.)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:36 am 
Yahoo Messenger: jorodryn
Location: Well since the universe expands infinitely in all directions, The center of the universe.
Gregorian. check them out. a different take on some famous songs.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:37 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I just had to see if anyone else here has heard of Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band. From the minds that brought you Dub Side of the Moon. I can't believe how well they pulled off both albums.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:49 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Been listening to the relatively new Machinae Supremacy album, 'A View From the End of the World'. For those of you who've never heard of Machinae Supremacy before, they're a metal band that uses a SidStation using the SID chip from a Commodore 64... which is the old-school game sound/music you'll hear in their songs.

If you've never heard of Machinae Supremacy, some of their better songs...

Attack Music - Opening reporter clip sums up basis of the song nicely
Ninja - I wonder what this one is about
Loot Burn Rape Kill Repeat - Instrumental track - vid is a pretty awesome one done to Macross Zero.
Gimme More (SID) - a pretty awesome cover of Britney Spears 'Gimme More'.

From the new album...

Force Feedback - About net neutrality. I was reminded of Anonymous when I thought about the lyrics.
Nova Prospekt - Good 'I'm gonna kick your *** song.'
Shinigami - If this isn't specifically referencing Death Note, I'd be amazed.
Cybergenesis - I like the instrumentals.
Indiscriminite Murder is Counter-Productive - is about random killing random NPCs in games, and is hilarious.

---

Otherwise... been listening to Van Canto's newest album (which has been out for a good while), and Blind Guardian's new album (which has also been out for a while, and rocks).

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:12 am 
Funky Honky wrote:
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I just had to see if anyone else here has heard of Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band. From the minds that brought you Dub Side of the Moon. I can't believe how well they pulled off both albums.

Yeah, my sister gave me "Moon" for Christmas, and I've been debating buying "Lonely Hearts".

For the uninitiated, they are complete remakes of classic Floyd and Beatles albums in reggae dancehall style. Way way better than the concept would indicate.

There's a complete version of "Lonely Hears" here --that's how I've been listening to it so far. Scroll down for the complete version.

http://zeegrooves.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -with.html

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: drachefly
Hans Herman Wetzler is a great composer

Board index » Chat Forums » General Chat