Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Ruan makes his way to the nearest tavern. A good tavern, if he can find one. One that has an actual sign, an actual floor (not dirt), at doesn't have a perpetual smell of spilled alcohol.

Well.

Perhaps not the last.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Ruan wrote:
Ruan makes his way to the nearest tavern. A good tavern, if he can find one.
CCC wrote:
Sparrow's invisible progress through the market can be defined by the line of chaos that follows in his wake.
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony, as usual, looks for attractive women to seduce or nobles to mug.

Ruan shoulders his way into a crowded tavern called the Key located to the east of the market district, in a slightly quieter and nicer part of town. His size and generally travel-worn appearance draw a few stares, but if the people in the Key wanted to fight they would have gone to a tavern in the markets.

Sparrow and Anthony do their respective things, with Sparrow heading north and Anthony heading west into the bawdier parts of town.

The afternoon passes ...

The heat creeps up, unnoticed except at a subconscious level, where it sets the mind on edge. Sparrow's victims flare to anger at the smallest prank. Anthony's victims -- er, prospective seductees -- shoot him down even when he turns the charm on full-blast. Even the quiet crowd at the Key stirs with rising tension, and Ruan finds more and more suspicious glances being shot his way.

The afternoon passes ... and Cambárya grows hotter and more crowded with every passing minute ...

... and then something, somewhere, explodes. Figuratively. Or maybe even literally. But it's the last straw.

The town, seemingly all at once, goes feral.

Sparrow, swooping past a man's ear to plant a half-whispered phrase, finds himself barely escaping being cut in two as another man lunges to stab the first. All around him, people start to fight.

Anthony, mugging a noble theatrically in the hopes of catching a pretty girl's eye, finds himself swept up in a tide of humanity as the crowd stampedes west -- whether fleeing or chasing something, nobody seems to know.

Ruan, sitting in the corner, finds himself approached by half the patrons in the Key -- a group of twenty orcs, elves, and dwarves, advancing on him with tipsy but malevolent determination.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Anthony runs with the stampede. He asks a person nearest him, "What the Hell are we stampeding for?"

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:04 pm 
Flying quickly to a safe distance above the crowd, Sparrow watches with a kind of detached interest. He's seen humans fight in big crowds before, but generally each human wore one of two uniforms and only fought the humans in the other uniform.

Perhaps this is some rare and obscure human festival? He looks around, to see if he can find any sort of order or pattern to the brawl, or failing that, if he can find someone nice and sensible (a horse, for preference) to ask about this.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:13 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"And here I thought this was supposed to be a nice tavern. What might I have done to get all you fine folk all riled up?"

Ruan glances down at himself.

"Is it the size?... Of my body, I mean. My whole body."

As he speaks, he tries to figure out if there happens to be anything magical going on... or if, on the other hand, a tavern full of people has decided to gang up on him.

Again.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Stan Cold wrote:
Anthony runs with the stampede. He asks a person nearest him, "What the Hell are we stampeding for?"

"Because," the orc puffs, sweat running down his moss-green face, "if we don't -- we'll -- get trampled!"

CCC wrote:
He looks around, to see if he can find any sort of order or pattern to the brawl, or failing that, if he can find someone nice and sensible (a horse, for preference) to ask about this.

The brawl is chaotic. There are a few horses amidst the crowd.

Ruan wrote:
"And here I thought this was supposed to be a nice tavern. What might I have done to get all you fine folk all riled up?"

Ruan glances down at himself.

"Is it the size?... Of my body, I mean. My whole body."

As he speaks, he tries to figure out if there happens to be anything magical going on... or if, on the other hand, a tavern full of people has decided to gang up on him.

Again.

"Humans," one dwarf spits scornfully. "You're all trouble."

The other patrons of the tavern, the ones who are still seated -- all humans, and all much smaller and weaker than Ruan -- look at the floor, or at their mugs.

"And you stink," says an odoriferous elf.

There doesn't seem to be any magic that Ruan's druid senses can detect; just long-held grievances boiling to the surface.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:01 pm 
"Ah! Tautology! At least, I believe that's the proper word. Lemme straighten this out." Anthony looks for anything high he can climb up on to.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:27 pm 
Sparrow heads for the nearest horse, and allows it (alone) to see through his invisibility. "Does this sort of thing happen often?" he asks, in a tone of innocent enquiry.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:54 pm 
"I just came in from the road. What'd you expect?"

Ruan stands up to his full height and looks down... way down... at the dwarf. Then he looks at the elf.

"And I'd not be one to be talking about smell of humans. At least I have a nice woodsy smell. Unlike tiny here."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
Stan Cold wrote:
"Ah! Tautology! At least, I believe that's the proper word. Lemme straighten this out." Anthony looks for anything high he can climb up on to.

The street is flanked by two-story buildings, all shops with apartments above them, many laden with awnings or clotheslines that could be climbed by a nimble enough athlete.

CCC wrote:
Sparrow heads for the nearest horse, and allows it (alone) to see through his invisibility. "Does this sort of thing happen often?" he asks, in a tone of innocent enquiry.

The horse, trying to sidestep the brawlers without straying too far from its owner, says that it's only seen it once before, last year. It got so bad that buildings were burned and soldiers arrived and everything smelled like blood for weeks. The horse nickers nervously. It doesn't like fire.

Ruan wrote:
"I just came in from the road. What'd you expect?"

Ruan stands up to his full height and looks down... way down... at the dwarf. Then he looks at the elf.

"And I'd not be one to be talking about smell of humans. At least I have a nice woodsy smell. Unlike tiny here."

"We heard what one of you done," snarls an orc.

"To a child, no less!"

"A witty-bitty child."

The mob grumbles. They don't actually seem too clear on the specifics, but they agree something bad happened. They continue to press in on Ruan.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:22 pm 
"That does seem a touch destructive for a festival. Kindof like that rumour about lemmings."

To try to allay the horse's fears, Sparrow tries to call up a light drizzle, which will make things damp and harder to burn. Good thing Yala's not here today...

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:37 pm 
"Oh the cruel irony of my low physical skill!" Anthony none the less attempts to scale one of the awnings.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 pm 
"But I don't like little kids! For that matter, I haven't even seen a kid in days."

Ruan pauses.

"What did these dastardly folk do, anyways? If I'm going to get into a brawl about something, I prefer to know precisely what it is they did, and why you're taking it out on me. There's plenty of horrifying things that could happen to somebody. So what was it?"

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
CCC wrote:
"That does seem a touch destructive for a festival. Kindof like that rumour about lemmings."

To try to allay the horse's fears, Sparrow tries to call up a light drizzle, which will make things damp and harder to burn. Good thing Yala's not here today...

The horse appreciates this. It's about to respond when a rock, thrown in the midst of the brawl, glances off Sparrow's arm and sends him spinning through the air.

Stan Cold wrote:
"Oh the cruel irony of my low physical skill!" Anthony none the less attempts to scale one of the awnings.

He loses a shoe to a grasping mob member, but manages to clamber up on top of a blue-and-red striped awning over the door of a cheese shop.

Ruan wrote:
"What did these dastardly folk do, anyways? If I'm going to get into a brawl about something, I prefer to know precisely what it is they did, and why you're taking it out on me. There's plenty of horrifying things that could happen to somebody. So what was it?"

They argue among themselves for a bit. "YOU know!" an orc finally comes up, and the others growl in renewed agreement.

A half-eaten biscuit flies toward Ruan's head, thrown by one of the cowering humans. "Get out and stop making trouble for us!" another human hisses.

The street outside is filling up with people moving quickly, grumbling quietly, and generally looking like bad news.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:38 am 
"PEOPLE OF THE CITY! YOUR NEW KING DEMANDS THT YOU HALT!" Anthony shouts in his deepest, loudest and most persuasive voice.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 137 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG