Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:52 am 
I noticed that Pete is doing a special comic today to help those that had a problem understanding yesterday's comic ( July 5). Personally I have Jo problem with today's comic. To me, the low level executive is freaking because Sasha seems to know way more than she should about their opperations. Compair that with the view we had of Nofun's leader last week and I get the picture of someone who just might kill the messenger. He thinks he will take the blame as he has already been forced to take the dishonor of meeting with a woman.

I see it as she is scaring him pretty badly, but throwing him a carrot there at the end so he is not tempted to just off her.

Anyone? Well we will see if I am even close.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:28 am 
All I saw was Sasha clearing the board with suggestions that the room might be decontaminated, to get the lowly exec out of the way. We'll see.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:58 am 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Okay, I'll see if I can explain why people have a problem with the strip (myself included).

Yes, Sasha does know a lot about how Nofun handles things. But considering that she is supposed to be from Bestied, they should know this. The executive should not be worried about that. Now what he should be worried about is a contagion/mutagen getting loose and the subsequent decontamination. So when she says that she cut herself on some broken lab equipment, he will want to escape as soon as possible using any reason to flee.

How he reacts makes perfect sense. What does not make any sense, is why his gut starts gurgling all of a sudden? It is the sudden gurgling noises that is throwing everything off. They appear to come out of nowhere, and for no reason.

If Pete left those sounds out, the people in reactions would most likely not be wondering what just happened.

duLapel wrote:
I don't know what's going on with the Reaction Forum, but it seems more about the Torg and Sasha Arch interfering with the Riff and Zoë Arch!
Um, duLapel, what bearing at all, does that have for people who do not understanding this particular strip?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:01 am 
It seems like the executive was slipped a laxative or something, though don't ask me how. Sasha's plan seems to require him to leave the room like that and come back, and it's clearly because of a physical need that he does it, what with all the gurgling. The cut Sasha mentioned is an excuse for why she seems to have mutated later on. Only at this point does the executive think there has been contamination and uses the escape tunnel, which is what Sasha wanted him to do so that she could see where it goes.

I think.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:35 am 
VVK wrote:
It seems like the executive was slipped a laxative or something, though don't ask me how. Sasha's plan seems to require him to leave the room like that and come back, and it's clearly because of a physical need that he does it, what with all the gurgling. The cut Sasha mentioned is an excuse for why she seems to have mutated later on. Only at this point does the executive think there has been contamination and uses the escape tunnel, which is what Sasha wanted him to do so that she could see where it goes.

I think.

I agree that this is how it played out. I also think that if there had not been as many complaints on the reaction forum, we would have gotten the immages without the play by play from the Nofum Exec. I think it would have been very apparent when it is all said and done. As for the gurgle, I think Sasha's intention was to litterally scare the Bleap out of him...

duLapel wrote:

I don't know what's going on with the Reaction Forum, but it seems more about the Torg and Sasha Arch interfering with the Riff and Zoë Arch!

Personally I prefer the Al Capp style social commentary and humor of MM to the Flash Gordon on Mongo melodrama of 4U...

but that's just me...

I also agree with these statements... I note the change in mood from the Riff/Zoe storyline, and miss it, but I also realize that Pete is using this storyline to set up parallels between the two worlds, and I believe show that DON is on the path to end up where DOR is...

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 am 
duLapel, multiple people being offended by a character that they did not realize was a parody of an intentionally offensive character is not groupthink. It just means not everyone has seen all the James Bond movies. Neither is being perplexed by the nature of Deng's reaction. Suddenly having to "go potty" was pretty unusual, if he had made some obviously lame excuse to leave the room it would have made more sense. Your assumption that people are only agreeing with each other without thinking for themselves is not appreciated.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:38 am 
These past two comics have seemed straightforward to me.

I think people are taking the gurgling too seriously. It's a continuation of the bit started with the Exec/Nofun exchange on 6/29 & 6/30

Previous scenes discussing 1) vaporizing employees and 2) Dr. Nofun smooching himself on a date show Jr. Executive with an unpleasant grimace, and the dialog shows he's clearly put off by it. I'm guessing the confusion might be in that part being underplayed, but it seemed clear to me that Dr. Nofun's humor made Jr. Exec a bit queasy.

Sasha was in a place to eavesdrop during the conversation, so she played up his particular discomforts as a quick way to get him out of the room and make the swap with ZHOAS. It might have been a little exaggerated, but that seems to be the spirit of Minon Master escapades. I think the problem may have been the lack of exaggeration in Jr. Exec's initial reactions to Dr. Nofun.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm 
zend wrote:
As for the gurgle, I think Sasha's intention was to litterally scare the Bleap out of him...

This doesn't seem right, because that wasn't reliably predictable enough to have been part of a plan, and what would Sasha have done if it didn't work? Delivered a zombie lollipop? I don't see how it would make sense for her to expect what happened on the suggested basis or not to expect it at all. Without whatever I am presumably missing here, this isn't making sense, and that's not in a funny way either.

By the way, what James Bond movie and character were people talking about?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
duLapel wrote:
Zillatain wrote:
duLapel wrote:
Um, duLapel, what bearing at all, does that have for people who do not understanding this particular strip?
*sigh*
Okay, I guess I'll sigh now since you did not answer my question, which I thought was clear to what I was referring to. I'll try again...

First to make sure we are on the same footing, this thread is ONLY referring to the 2010 July 5th strip, it is not referring to this huge dual story arc that Pete is orchestrating.

It appeared to me, that you brought up how the the Minion Master arc correlates with the 4U City arc as an explanation for why one man had extreme digestive distress. So I am asking, how do these two dimensions tells me why Deng had an explosive bowel movement? Ethnicity and the stereotypes have no bearing on why people were confused with this strip.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:03 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
duLapel,

I also can't see why the confusion should be linked to 4U or even Torg. I think that the confusion lies with Sasha's plan relying on the Exec having sudden bowel distress. This seems like a longshot at best and not something a plan should hinge on.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:39 pm 
Steave wrote:
I think that the confusion lies with Sasha's plan relying on the Exec having sudden bowel distress. This seems like a longshot at best and not something a plan should hinge on.

I thought the first panel of today's comic made it clear enough that Sasha's original plan most likely was to get Deng out of the room for long enough to pull the zombie switch ... by sending him after a printed report from accounting. Seems predictable enough that he wouldn't have that exact paperwork with him already, for a plan to hinge on it. The classic red-tape runaround, works every time. That's conjecture, but the paperwork keeping Deng busy is the very first thing mentioned in the first panel of today's comic; seems to me as if Pete's trying to make it obvious. Sending Deng to the potty was merely an unplanned bonus, as evidenced by the very surprised look on her face when he first ran away. No complaints or confusion from me. Just my two cents. Hope no one gets offended.

aerineth wrote:
Previous scenes discussing 1) vaporizing employees and 2) Dr. Nofun smooching himself on a date show Jr. Executive with an unpleasant grimace, and the dialog shows he's clearly put off by it. I'm guessing the confusion might be in that part being underplayed, but it seemed clear to me that Dr. Nofun's humor made Jr. Exec a bit queasy.

Also, Jr. Executive Deng is not the guy who was talking to Dr. Nofun. His name was Lau (with ^ over the 'a') and he had a different face and hair and no sideburns.

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat