Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ] 

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:01 am 
Based on today's strip, it seems like Kusari may be someone we've seen before. I haven't gone through the archives in years, so I dunno which of these would even be possible in terms of who appeared before/after Kusari, but here are my knee-jerk guesses, in order of likelihood (IMO):

1) Val (seems reasonable, all things considered)

2) Sasha (somewhat less reasonable, but not inconceivable)

3) Nana (highly improbable)

4) Crystal (possible, but very, very unlikely)

5) Muffin? (hilarious enough to be possible)

Can someone help me out and let me know which of these are even possible in terms of when the characters first showed up?

[As the storyline will be progressing and there's a lot of good discussion in this thread I hereby, using my authoritah as OT moderator, declare this thread exempt from the 10-page rule until the storyline is finished in the comic. If the datum is good enough and separate from W.O.H.P.A.O.H. I will declare this a sister thread and name it W.O.H.P.A.K.H. -G]

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:12 am 
Yahoo Messenger: oikapuff
AOL: PikaPuff00
mine was

it is SASHA? i think it's SASHA. oh god is it really SASHA? maybe it's SASHA

:sasha:

a question though. was kusari introduced before or after sasha left in DDA? if before sasha left, then nah.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 am 
PikaPuff wrote:
mine was

it is SASHA? i think it's SASHA. oh god is it really SASHA? maybe it's SASHA

:sasha:

a question though. was kusari introduced before or after sasha left in DDA? if before sasha left, then nah.

Kusari was introduced attacking Oasis while Oasis attacked Sasha and Torg, so she was first shown in the same room with Sasha. When she showed up she couldn't've been Sasha.

Someone on another threaded noted that there could be multiple Kusaris, but that seems to debunk other clues about the relationship btw Oasis and Kusari, barring huge spec theories (one I thought up on the spot, but don't really believe, is that Kusari and Oasis exist as ongoing / constantly growing connected programs of their personalities that manifest themselves in preconditioned sleeper bodies once she is killed, explaining the varying nature of Oasis' personalities, as she is a flawed model, and the more constant nature of Kusari's, as she is not).

In any case, two things have been proven (or implied) by this strip:

1) Kusari was not always Kusari, or, at the very least, was dragged into being what she is today.
2) Schlock expected her to be ashamed, meaning what caused her to become Kusari was caused by her own actions, and that she is unrepentant of them (or unable to be so, depending on your theory)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:52 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Location: What a lovely pair of tropical Sulidae you've got there.
Clearly its Gwynn. Why else would Shlock have left her out?

*Waits to be shown wrong.*

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 am 
AOL: greatchiperooni
Darn, I put my Kusari-is-Gwynn? spec in the other thread. *moves it over here*

The evidence that Kusari is Gwynn: After Kusari's first appearance at Le Snootier, that she was told to return to base, and we see that Gwynn has returned to the area almost immediately after that - she shows up back at the apartment for the first time in a long time. What if "go back to base," meant go back to the apartment? We next see Kusari during Fire and Rain, which doesn't involve Gwynn, and we have no idea where Gwynn was at the time. Then in Dangerous Days Ahead, when Gwynn is taken into custody by HC goons, Kusari's place in the Boardroom of Evil is conspicuously empty, and Kusari was nowhere to be seen in that storyline: http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=020609 Plus Gwynn has always been both violent and freakishly strong, and her name is the one that most naturally fits in with "Zoe, Torg, Riff, and . . . "

But! In the Halloween party in 2001, Kusari showed up in a Hello Kitty costume to take Dr. Schlock into custody, but then Gwynn was seen lying in the paralyzed pile of bodies outside the morning after the party. So that makes me think that Gwynn is PROBABLY not Kusari, but then again, it's not clear how much time passed between the two comics - she could have come back after turning Schlock in, after all. And it IS the kind of thing Pete would just love to do - "Gwynn is Kusari! Night is day! Up is down!"

Anyhow, if we're going to consider appearing in the body-pile credible evidence against Gwynn being Kusari, then it also rules out Krystal: http://beta.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=011104

As for some of the more "out-there" theories: personally, I reject that Kusari is a time-shifted version of anyone, and I also reject the "Dread Pirate Kusari" theory. Mostly just on the basis that Pete's a better storyteller than that. I believe the answers, or at least the clues, are in the archives - somewhere.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:43 am 
You know, it's entirely possible that what connects Kusari to Torg, Zoe, and Riff has nothing to do with relationship grouping. Perhaps The Big Three were ALSO part of one of HC's old projects against their will, back when they was young-uns? And they just don't remember it? Or it was erased from their memory?

Perhaps the three of them have attributes, physical and metaphysical, that they are not aware of. None of them have died that we are aware of, so the whole resurrection skill is untested, but maybe there's something else we've overlooked?

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:12 am 
Quote:
I MUST FIND KUSARI!

NO GWYNN.YOU ARE THE KUSARI.

THEN GWYNN WAS A KUSARI.

I'm not sure about Val. unless Val's ghost is possessing it or something...
Shoot, I completely forgot about this

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:14 am 
Ah, who/what is Kusari time.

My theory; remember the last time we saw Oasis? She theorised that she was some kind of ghost that changed the physical form of whoever she posessed; a theory that was shot down on the basis that it had been Lupae's body, and not hers, in Nash's car. But then it turned out (though Oasis presumably doesn't know yet) that her body and Lupae's body had both been in the car at the time.

Therefore, I theorise that Oasis and Kusari's ressurection abilities are both the result of something happening to innocent people. I therefore also theorise that behind Kusari's mask is the face of some innocent person whose life Kusari, in a sense, stole; leaving her alive at the expense of her "host". And it is that, the fact that she needs a host to live off and that the host's free will is subsumed in the process, that Schlock expects her to "at least pretend to be ashamed" about. (Given her programmed loyalty, one can question how much free will Kusari has as well...)

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 am 
Kusari = Sasha?

If we believe that there has only ever been one Kusari, then no, it's impossible.
But if we believe that there are two Kusaris, then yes it is possible. If I recall correctly, Sasha left the strip shortly before the replacement Kusari arrived.

Of course, that only means it's possible; I've explanation of why Sasha would do something like that.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:53 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: thebassem
I think Kusari is Gwynn, and is somehow connected to the book of E-ville.

Look at Kusari's outfit. Her shoulder plates and her horns have the diamond shape on them.
A shape seen on the book of E-Ville, worn by its personification, which confesses its love to Gwynn. (link, anyone?)
Seen in alt-Gwynn's eyes in "That Which Redeems," her being the "lady of the book."

Of course, Pete is giving us an obvious clue when Kusari says "torg, zoe and riff... and me".
Then again, Pete likes to mess with us.

I really really hope Kusari is NOT Gwynn, that she is her own character. Because i totally love Kusari, and I can't really stand Gwynn.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:21 am 
If it's not Gwynnm, that "...and me" line means he wants us to THINK it's Gwynn. And that was a Gwynn-like shape on the cover image...

Though if Kusari is a weaponised ghost who deliberately seizes spare bodies, it could be a possessed Gwynn and that's why she should be ashamed: she's using Gwynn to attack her own friends.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:29 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: [email protected]
AOL: thebassem
Charles RB wrote:
... if Kusari is a weaponised ghost who deliberately seizes spare bodies, it could be a possessed Gwynn and that's why she should be ashamed: she's using Gwynn to attack her own friends.

Absolutely!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:16 am 
Shouldn't Gwynn be immune to ghosts? I mean, the book appeared to give her the same protection it gave Zoe. It seems to me the most likely target for a Kusari/Oasis possession is Zoe. She is supposed to burn, and in Gwynn's dream Oasis's hair burned.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:39 am 
Hmmm.

http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=02 ... ode=weekly

This was back after Kusari had died in FR. They were still waiting on a backup Kusari

Something tells me they dont have Kusari skipping meetings to flip burgers

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:53 am 
Hereti-Corp needed a new Kusari after Oasis decapitated her in Fire and Rain, at which point Gwynn was still peachy keen and not decapitated. Kusari could be a future Gwynn, but future Gwynn is going to be the Lady of the Book and if Kusari had been made out of paper, someone would have notices that around the time of the decapitation.

I think she is or is inhabiting the body of Sasha: maybe an improvement of Kusari over Oasis, if they're ghosts, is that Kusari needs to be summoned into a specific body, and therefore hC can choose who she comes back as. Which would mean they could use her as a mole as well as a troubleshooter, and explains the mask: presumably they wouldn't want the guys recognizing "Sasha" running around helping hC when she's supposed to be their friend.

But they, why wouldn't they have been using her to infiltrate the group already?

As for the 'me' comment: Oasis, if she is a ghost possessing people, seems to steamroller over the original owners of her bodies to the point that she doesn't realise they were there. Maybe Kusari retains their memories or incorporates elements of them into her own personality? It'd help with the infiltration.

I wonder if Zoe's cursed tattoo would hang around if Zoe got possessed by Oasis or Kusari.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 159 posts ] 

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Sluggy Related Chat