Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post subject: Sluggy Haiku Contest
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am 
AOL: Schilke8A4
So judging by the introduction page some people around here like to come up with haikus, perhaps because they are short and there is no quality control so I am going to announce the first Daily/Weekly/Semi-Annually/Whenever Anyone Wants to Post One: Sluggy Haiku Contest!

Ok, here is the challenge:
Part 1: Score the haiku from the person above you (on any scale you feel appropriate) and offer a corrupted interpretation of his/her haiku.
Part 2: Write a haiku about something from today’s strip and offer a real interpretation of what it means.

Example:

Person before me writes:

Haiku. (This haiku not based on today’s comic because I didn’t want to have to come up with 2 for today).
Salty rain cleanses
Where time has worn the stone rough.
The truth cannot wait.

Interpretation:
The salty rain are Oasis’ tears that help to wash away the barriers on her memory so that she can realize the truth that Torg does not return her love and that she may not even really love him.

My Entry:
Score: I give the person before me a score of 3. Please don’t hate me for giving you a 3, Person before me; I scored it on the dumb 2nd edition D&D AC rules so a 3 is actually pretty good.

Corruption:
Salty rain is a brand new, all purpose bathroom cleaner that will was clean the stone tiles in the shower and get rid of any calcium build ups! The truth that cannot wait is that Salty Rain does not cost $49:99, not $39.99, not $29.99, but just $19.99 and if you call in the next 10 minutes we will double your order for free and throw in the handy Salty Rain applicator cloth…a $99.00 value for just $19.99!

My Haiku:
Fossils in hard clay,
torn from peaceful resting place,
Show a painful past.

Explanation:
The fossils are Oasis’ memories that she is dredging up reminding her that in the past she put a batch of delicious pizza rolls in the oven and now they are probably over-cooked.

Hint: Expect most of the Haikus here will be awful so don't rip on us for bad poetry; the scoring is supposed to be funny.

Back in college I used the line "Wankel rotary engine" as the middle line in a haiku for a Society of Physics Students haiku contest so I will give 5 bonus points to anyone who can find a way to use this line in a haiku that actually deals with a Sluggy strip. Bonus points can be redeemed at the school store from the Torg Potter story line.

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness