Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post subject: Bookerdash
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:24 am 
Amazingly it looks like it's been 3 months since we last played Bookerdash --I miss it. Who's in?

For those of you who don't know the game, one player (the Dasher) picks a book. The other players PM the dasher an opening paragraph based on a description of the book. The Dasher posts all the entries anonymously and in random order, together with the real opening paragraph.

Under my rules, players get points for each correct attribution (other player or real book) and also points for each person who thinks the player's entry is the real book.

The highest scoring player who has not yet been Dasher chooses the next book.

Post subject: Re: Bookerdash
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:54 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
You know I'm in!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 am 
AOL: [email protected]
Oh, why not?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:27 am 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
The last round of it was entertaining enough to read that I think I'll give it a go.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AND i'M NUTS!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:05 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
I'm sure I'll regret this, with NaNoWriMo right around the corner, but what the heck. I'm in.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:32 pm 
Just put each fake entry you write into your novel, problem solved! :torg:

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: PlatonicBathos
Actually... I may do that :)

Post Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:24 am 
Yay! What a great field of competitors.

I should mention that this game was created by the lovely and talented inspiration, although my scoring system is a bit different than hers.

Let's get started.

Our lead-off book is "Haroun and the Sea of Stories" by Salman Rushdie. Written during the period of time when he was hiding out from the fatwa, this children's book written for his son is also an allegory for Salman's own struggle against the forces of censorship.

You can PM me your entries at any time, although I may need to clear out my inbox first. Remember, your task is to write a paragraph that will deceive readers into thinking it is the real one. PM it, don't post it!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm 
3 entries received, 2 to go!

Post Posted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:07 am 
Those late entries may be due to the fear that posting a Salman Rushdie pastiche will result in a fatwa.

:zoe: Don't worry, guys!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
Your Entries

1. Haroun was a man with a problem. He was a man with great ideas, but no one seemed to like them.

2. There was once, in the country of Alifbay, a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue.

3. The sea is selfish. Its salty smell fills the air for miles around. Its sand follows you home in your shoes. And when you go to bed, its waves whisper to you in your dreams all night long.

4. OK, I'm going to have to abstain from this round. I idiotically thought, "Oh, I have no idea how Rushdie writes, I should look up the book." Then I realized I had just cheated. D'oh!

5. On the last Thursday before the start of the monsoon season, little Haroun rode the dawn bus to Bombay. It was the first time he had ever left home without an adult. In his hand, clutched tightly, was a paper sack containing the pakoras his mother had packed him. Inside the bus the air was thick with the smell of chickens, but through the cracked window Haroun could smell the coming rain.

6. Long ago, there was a boy named Haroun and he was up to no good.

Your authors:

Salman Rushdie
SaveTheGreyhounds
FunkyHonky
Llefser
Inspiration
StanCold

Get to matchin'!

The scoring is: 2 points for identifying the real book, 1 point per each other correct match & 1 point per person you fool.

The person who inadvertently cheated can play but will not score any points for identifying the real book. He or she will have an advantage in matching, but a disadvantage in fooling people so it should balance out. I will also charge him or her one demerit point so as to teach a lesson! :sasha:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:40 am 
Senior Community Staff
Senior Community Staff
*falls on the floor* This round is impoooooosssssssible!

Post Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:47 pm 
Man, if I were going to do Nanowrimo this year, I would totally go with #4 as my opening.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 pm 
FunkyHonky wrote:
1. Haroun was a man with a problem. He was a man with great ideas, but no one seemed to like them.

Salman Rushdie wrote:
2. There was once, in the country of Alifbay, a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue.

inspiration wrote:
3. The sea is selfish. Its salty smell fills the air for miles around. Its sand follows you home in your shoes. And when you go to bed, its waves whisper to you in your dreams all night long.

SaveTheGreyhounds wrote:
4. OK, I'm going to have to abstain from this round. I idiotically thought, "Oh, I have no idea how Rushdie writes, I should look up the book." Then I realized I had just cheated. D'oh!

Llefser wrote:
5. On the last Thursday before the start of the monsoon season, little Haroun rode the dawn bus to Bombay. It was the first time he had ever left home without an adult. In his hand, clutched tightly, was a paper sack containing the pakoras his mother had packed him. Inside the bus the air was thick with the smell of chickens, but through the cracked window Haroun could smell the coming rain.

StanCold wrote:
6. Long ago, there was a boy named Haroun and he was up to no good.

Stan Cold scores 2 points for getting the book right, plus 1 each for guessing Llef and Insp plus one for fooling Funky. But he gets a demerit point for matching one entry with CCC, who wasn't even playing this round! Still in the lead with 4 points.

Insp and Llef are tied with 3 points. Each got the book correct. Insp ID'd STG as the accidental cheater, and LLef sniffed out SC.

STG earned two points for identifying Insp and Llefser correctly, but loses a point for her outside research, leaving her with one.

Funky Honky is still at the starting line, but the game is young and there are several rounds left to go!

Take it away, Stankhold!

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness