Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
PATRICK STEWART is in that movie! That has to be worth something.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:48 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
PATRICK STEWART is in that movie! That has to be worth something.

Maybe, but he's offset by the presence of that awful fat guy. And the mentat... that guy's lips still give me nightmares. Plus, let's be honest... Kyle McLaughlin. Hated him in this movie and in Twin Peaks. The only character this guy can do is a somewhat spaced out guy who somehow saves the world.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 pm 
You people have no taste. The Floating Fat Man is awesome.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 pm 
FreakyBoy wrote:
You people have no taste. The Floating Fat Man is awesome.

You, sir, have serious issues.

No wonder you fit in with the rest of us.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:13 pm 
AOL: SpiriTsunami
Freak42 wrote:
Steave wrote:
Spirit Tsunami wrote:
Gah...still so many movies...and while there are many movies on here I haven't seen, I'm not sure if I can approve of the list being topped by one I've never even heard of.
Do yourself a favour and watch Primer. There is a reason it was voted up.

Being that many of the best Sci-fi films (certainly of recent years) have been smaller films and not blockbusters I fear that many great films will be pushed out because people haven't seen them.

Well, that's just the thing. A lot of the movies, I've heard of but never seen. I had never even heard of Primer.

Yeah, I don't know what I would've done if it hadn't been at 5...possibly voted down Short Circuit again. That one, I actually watched a little of, on recommendation as a funny movie (I didn't even know it was sci-fi until this contest). Key words being "a little of". I was expecting a comedy and got a snoozefest--walked out of the room after maybe 10-15 minutes, tops.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:08 pm 
I have actually seen 80-90% of the films on this list.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:03 pm 
Interesting. I counted at least 30 on that list that I've never seen, primarily older movies (pre-1980) and very low budget (Primer for example). There were also a couple I avoided just because friends etc. said it wasn't worth watching.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:45 pm 
Plan 9 is easily the worst movie on the list. However, I would recommend watching it simply for the massive number of errors. Among other things, you get to view phone calls where one party is during the daytime and other other is at night. The cops run out of the station and its day, they run to the car and its night, they get into the car and its day, they race down the road and its night...

Its really quite amazing that it was ever shown in theaters.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:07 pm 
Cool. I knew basically nothing about the movie when it died, so now I'm glad it died :kiki:

I always want to see movies like that done MST-3K style... Almost makes me want to do it myself except I'm not a wonderful comedy writer. I get the occasional good pun in but over a whole movie... probably not.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The best way to watch Plan 9 is simply to watch Ed Wood.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:41 pm 
What the hell kind of movies do you people like to watch?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:13 am 
For me it's not lack of interest in SF movies, it's lack of time.

Also, the Baconatrix is unable to watch DVDs without getting a wicked headache (she's epileptic) so anything that was available only on DVD is out. So is downloading and watching on laptop. Most of my movie watching time is with her in the evenings which severely restricts what is on the movie channel.

But, really, life partner >>>>> watching DVDs.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:05 am 
Proposal: We've fallen into the same trap that happened on the "funniest movie" list. Instead of voting down movies you have seen and "hated", pick a movie you have not seen and vote it down instead. Once we have movies that most people have experienced, then we can nitpick over which ones are good and which are not.

Personally, the only movie I have ever refused to watch all the way through is Black Sheep, the decidedly less funny follow-up (not really a sequel, they weren't the same characters) to Tommy Boy, which I loved.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:36 am 
kirn wrote:
Plan 9 is easily the worst movie on the list. However, I would recommend watching it simply for the massive number of errors. Among other things, you get to view phone calls where one party is during the daytime and other other is at night. The cops run out of the station and its day, they run to the car and its night, they get into the car and its day, they race down the road and its night...

Its really quite amazing that it was ever shown in theaters.

OK, so maybe I shouldn't have nominated Plan 9 for "Best" SF Movie Ever. It's more like the SF movie I had the most fun watching...I have a thing for really, really badly made movies.

Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to nominate They Live. Now THAT is some quality cinema. "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass..."

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:03 pm 
No, I would have nominated Plan 9 if you hadn't. Its definitely among the top Sci-Fi movies I would recommend watching. I would simply recommend watching it in a MST3K or Rocky Horror context. They Live is also very cool. I especially like the part where Roddy upgrades from fists to full automatic weapons in a series of 8 weapon upgrades in less than 2 minutes. And he's all out of bubblegum. Great flick. Not very good though.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness