Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:59 pm 
For a Sci-Fi horror, that's to be expected. I actually thought Event Horizon was quite a bit better than that.... but that's apparently a unique opinion.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm 
kirn wrote:
For a Sci-Fi horror, that's to be expected. I actually thought Event Horizon was quite a bit better than that.... but that's apparently a unique opinion.

Not unique. I also think that it was better than many movies still on the list.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:12 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I'd never previously heard of it.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It is actually better than this forum would have you believe and has Sam Neil which is a plus in my books though if you want your Sam Neil fix than go for 'In the Mouth of Madness.'

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 pm 
I think this one is going to boil down to two schools of thought on what makes a good SF movie, entertaining vs thought provoking.

Aliens, Pitch Black, and Predator were not terribly thought provoking, but highly entertaining for me.

V for Vendetta was all about the mind: attitude, perception, and revenge served with a stiletto.

It'll be interesting to see which camp comes out ahead, or whether the top movies will have a mixture of both.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:10 pm 
Looks like there's about 3+ versions of Event Horizon available on YouTube. This one has good quality. Caution: Contains quite a bit of gore, swearing. Some nudity. Decent acting. Oh, and its a horror flick.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:12 am 
AOL: dramafreak42
What bugs me about Event Horizon going first is that it makes it clear that some universally acknowledged terrible movies (Ultraviolet and Plan 9 From Outer Space leap to mind) are going to skate by on camp for a least a little bit, sort of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 factor. And speaking of which how did that film get on this list? I love it dearly but Sci-fi? Seriously?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:29 am 
Freak42 wrote:
What bugs me about Event Horizon going first is that it makes it clear that some universally acknowledged terrible movies (Ultraviolet and Plan 9 From Outer Space leap to mind) are going to skate by on camp for a least a little bit, sort of the Mystery Science Theater 3000 factor. And speaking of which how did that film get on this list? I love it dearly but Sci-fi? Seriously?

I nominated it :P

It fell into my "highly entertaining" category of SF.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:14 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
The theme is that the janitor of a mega-corporation gets shot into orbit and forced to watch terrible movies with some robots that he created. How is it not sci-fi?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:17 pm 
I'm a bit surprised by Fantastic Voyage being pushed out so early. It's not a fantastic film (um...) but it is a perfect example of 1960s sci-fi which is probably why it gets so many references in modern culture. It makes me wish I'd nominated Innerspace for the list, although I probably wouldn't have voted for it.

Event Horizon only sticks in my mind for the Prodigy track that plays at the end.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:29 pm 
srimech wrote:
I'm a bit surprised by Fantastic Voyage being pushed out so early. It's not a fantastic film (um...) but it is a perfect example of 1960s sci-fi which is probably why it gets so many references in modern culture. It makes me wish I'd nominated Innerspace for the list, although I probably wouldn't have voted for it.

Funky Honky and I pretty much killed it. I abso-freaking-lutely hated that movie when we did Fantastic Voyage in school and Honky kind of followed along I think.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Spirit Tsunami wrote:
Gah...still so many movies...and while there are many movies on here I haven't seen, I'm not sure if I can approve of the list being topped by one I've never even heard of.
Do yourself a favour and watch Primer. There is a reason it was voted up.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 am 
AOL: dramafreak42
Steave wrote:
Spirit Tsunami wrote:
Gah...still so many movies...and while there are many movies on here I haven't seen, I'm not sure if I can approve of the list being topped by one I've never even heard of.
Do yourself a favour and watch Primer. There is a reason it was voted up.

Being that many of the best Sci-fi films (certainly of recent years) have been smaller films and not blockbusters I fear that many great films will be pushed out because people haven't seen them.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:52 am 
That's the way these things go, unfortunately. There were a couple of my favorite movies got iced very early in the last contest because nobody had seen them too.

EDIT: And what is with the hate on for Will Smith movies? Independence Day and I Am Legend took it right in the back. If anybody starts messing with Men In Black I'ma gonna get out the Noisy Cricket and get wicked on y'all.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
AOL: gregnier
Twitter: BaronJayne
i just read the IMDB for Silent running and it seems like it is an awesome film.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness