Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:33 pm 
Ok, so here's the out of game debate thread for the Best SF Movie Ever contest.

Run free, my children. Just don't come home with an STD.

Oh, and in case anyone needs to know, there are 84 movies in the list according to Grillick. I got 85, but I counted the hard way rather than his Excel sheet method. Frankly, I trust Excel more than my Grade 1 teacher. Although, she was hot...

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:46 pm 
(in reference to Event Horizon)

[quote=The Lost, Lurking]I paid good money to see this steaming pile of crap in the theater. So which one was worse, this or Highlander 2...?[/quote]

My god, at least EH had a plot... there was nothing there for anyone in Highlander 2 unless you were my sister with a jones for Christopher Lambert. And swords. It was nearly as bad as Beastmaster 2... which we only watched cause my sister has a jones for Marc Singer. And swords. Red Sonya, Arnie and swords. Xena, the dude who played Ares, and swords. Andromeda, the black dude, and a force lance.

I'm detecting a pattern here. I think my sister ruined my childhood :P

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:40 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I love Highlander 2 for much the same reason I love Flash Gordon. Counting their bullet-holes is priceless.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Highlander 2 - The resurrection of Ramírez and the following shopping scene make the movie.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 am 
Ok, so as expected we have some confusion apparently over which versions of movies we're talking about.

The Thing has more than one version, which I did not know. I'm going to assume we're talking about the 1982 version since it was much more popular and recent.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:45 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Works for me. As Axel pointed out in the Nominations thread, the old version of the movie is actually entitled, "The Thing From Another Planet." Which I was unaware of, having only heard it referred to as "The Thing."

Alas, I only saw the colorized version of Hawks' film. Badly colorized. So very badly colorized. My eyes! My eyes! Make it go away!

--tll

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:53 am 
Wow, there are some people with a serious hate on for Species. It wasn't the best movie, I agree, but for the love of God, Natasha Henstridge spends like a third of that movie nekkid. That's got to account for something.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:16 pm 
Sorry, her gorgeous form wasn't enough to save that movie for me. I saw it in the theater while high-school age, so that gives you a frame of reference for where I was coming from. Even THAT wasn't enough. The thing is, I saw a great story inside this movie, and that it failed to deliver from that perspective while simultaneously delivering Natasha Henstridge... and delivering, and delivering, and delivering... annoyed me.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: AxelFendersson
Oddly enough, Species was on TV last night. I'd forgotten what a bad film it was.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it, and not just because of Natasha Henstridge (although she was definitely a plus).

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:36 pm 
Yeah, I kept wanting to see Marg Helgenberger taking the no-clothes hint but it never happened :(

This movie was definitely trading on nude scenes vs plot.

I just think there were far poorer movies on that list than Species.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:38 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Yahoo Messenger: Giltaras
AOL: Giltaras
That's democracy for you, baconbots.

I propose that we do not eliminate any movies automatically at a round's end, and instead eliminate all movies through voting.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:43 pm 
I just don't know if with 84 movies we can kill them off fast enough using only voting.

Admittedly, though, most of us went straight for blood with the - votes right away (I haven't posted a + so far) so maybe we can use vote-off only rules. We'll have to see what it looks like on Sunday. I certainly am not in favor of mass killing a bunch of movies in round 4 that nobody liked/hated enough to vote on.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:53 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
I think with this coming on the heels of another "Best Ever" contest, people have fresh in their mind how much more important and game-changing negative votes are over positive. So we might be okay with no automatic drops.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:57 pm 
AOL: da drumber
Location: Probably drunk somewhere. Likely in Northern Virginia or somewhere nearby.
I personally don't feel that I have too much invested in this one, so I'm more than willing to do nothing but try an kill any movie that starts to get low. As long as we have a couple people playing like that I don't think that auto-killing movies should be necessary.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:47 pm 
The other thing is that I started at 20 which means less voting per death, but still left a buffer if one person came along with an ax to grind.

I just can't believe nobody but me hated Fantastic Voyage enough to make it #84. At least you didn't need LSD to make sense of Event Horizon or Species. You needed antidepressants for the former and a quiet room with kleenex for the latter.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 94 posts ] 

Board index » Chat Forums » Word Games and Random Silliness