Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts

Post subject: Re: Trump.
 Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Well, fair's fair; a lot of the folks who voted for Trump in order to pack the Supreme Court have gotten some of what they wanted from it. Though it's possible they didn't think through the ramifications of getting it as carefully as they might.

Either way, I'm deeply amused that the ostensible GOP establishment is bepooing themselves that an ultra-maga black women may very well become the Republican Senate candidate from Pennsyltucky. Certainly that's not what they were looking for when they got what they ostensibly wanted from him...

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Someone is running against McConnell?

Post Posted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:32 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Not Kentucky, Pennsyltucky. The lands between the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolitan areas. She's running against a snake oil selling Turkish quack doctor from another state, basically.

Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:14 am 
weremensh wrote:
Well, fair's fair; a lot of the folks who voted for Trump in order to pack the Supreme Court have gotten some of what they wanted from it. Though it's possible they didn't think through the ramifications of getting it as carefully as they might.

As a pragmatic conservative, this is what worries me right now. The balance of power is about even, but if cases are pushed through to the Supreme Court where the court may rule in favor of conservatives against largely popular ideas, the backlash may be severe. Many other conservatives don’t seem to understand that if there is not popular support for a law people will not follow it, and will work to overturn it. When it is overturned, what is permitted by the new law may go even farther than the status quo.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:41 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The January 6th committee is about to get it's show on the road, and has acquired the services of a veteran TV producer to help in that process. Though no one expects it to change any votes, or be seen by many Republicans, it may well be interesting to see what they've come up with.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:05 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suppose it's indicative of something that Fox didn't run a single commercial for the two hours of the 1/6 hearings, lest their viewers channel surf and see the hearings with the actual sound for a few seconds. Deliberately losing money to keep their demographic (of all people) from even the briefest exposure to what was actually said and shown is a pretty powerful sign that they're seriously worried about it.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:32 am 
Whatever happens to Trump, it looks like almost every Republican who isn't Liz Cheney or Mitt Romney thinks that he had the right idea. They're hard at work rules-ninjaing the 2024 election so that they can throw out voter results they don't like and send whoever they feel like to the Electoral College.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I find the idea that the Republicans who plainly decided that Trump's plan couldn't work, and who refused purely to avoid Federal prison, are now being lauded as profiles in courage to be amusing.

That said, I wonder if Trump'll announce before the midterms in an effort to avoid being indicted.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
eagle_GT wrote:
weremensh wrote:

As a pragmatic conservative, this is what worries me right now. The balance of power is about even, but if cases are pushed through to the Supreme Court where the court may rule in favor of conservatives against largely popular ideas, the backlash may be severe. Many other conservatives don’t seem to understand that if there is not popular support for a law people will not follow it, and will work to overturn it. When it is overturned, what is permitted by the new law may go even farther than the status quo.

I'm going to note that Justice Thomas has already called for the overturning of the decision that established a civil right to purchase and use contraception less than half an hour after overturning Roe V. Wade, suspect that the timing isn't accidental, and agree that a backlash might be in the offing.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:07 pm 
This week's decisions prove that we have a radical right-wing Supreme Court and I think the backlash will be severe. They are going far outside the American mainstream.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:16 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
One must note, though; the Supreme Court has rather diverted attention from the 1/6 Committee for the moment. I wonder how that's going to play out when the hearings resume.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm 
weremensh wrote:
One must note, though; the Supreme Court has rather diverted attention from the 1/6 Committee for the moment. I wonder how that's going to play out when the hearings resume.

It's a bit of a game of "Which difficult topic would Republican politicians prefer to be out of the news cycle?"

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
sycasey wrote:
It's a bit of a game of "Which difficult topic would Republican politicians prefer to be out of the news cycle?"

I'm seeing more 'pay no attention to Thomas' concurrence' than 'pay no attention to the 1/6 committee' quotes right now, so my guess is the former. But we'll see when the hearings resume.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 am 
weremensh wrote:
I'm seeing more 'pay no attention to Thomas' concurrence' than 'pay no attention to the 1/6 committee' quotes right now, so my guess is the former.

Thomas doesn't even seem to care that he's outside the mainstream of conservative Christians in the United States, let alone the general public. Hardly anybody apart from the Catholic church has hang-ups about contraception.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Passiflora wrote:
weremensh wrote:
I'm seeing more 'pay no attention to Thomas' concurrence' than 'pay no attention to the 1/6 committee' quotes right now, so my guess is the former.

Thomas doesn't even seem to care that he's outside the mainstream of conservative Christians in the United States, let alone the general public. Hardly anybody apart from the Catholic church has hang-ups about contraception.

I'd say that right now, at least in America, even the Catholic church has less hangs-up about abortion than US conservative protestants.

Board index » Chat Forums » Political Opinions and Opinionated Posts